PDA

View Full Version : My back hurts

jockellis
07-24-2011, 20:17
My wife and I did a two-day, 11 mile hike from Woody Gap to Neal's Gap in Georgia and now my back hurts. I thought it was only because I didn't know how to adjust the backpack my Eagle Scout son and Philmont hiker loaned me. But my doctor ordered x-rays and discovered I have spina bifida, a deformation of the back. So I might still be in pain even if the pack had been positioned correctly. Maybe not. Has anyone else found out they have a slightly crooked spine and are still able to hike the trail comfortably or at least with little pain?

Sierra Echo
07-24-2011, 20:27
How heavy was your pack?

jockellis
07-24-2011, 20:44
I didn't weigh it, but it was heavier than the heaviest gas turbine blade I have to pick up at work, 34 lbs. My wife threw away the scale because her "personal trainer" suggested it.

Sierra Echo
07-24-2011, 20:51
Your pack sounds too heavy! And what kind of personal trainer suggests you should throw away your scale? Thats no way to be held accountable!

The Old Boot
07-24-2011, 21:07
Your pack sounds too heavy! And what kind of personal trainer suggests you should throw away your scale? Thats no way to be held accountable!

The trainer may have suggested it because someone was more or less obsessing with weight when fitness levels were more important. A tape measure and how clothes fit are more important than what the scale says.

It does sound like you were either carrying too much weight, weren't in shape for the weight you were carrying and/or had a pack that wasn't fitted/adjusted for you properly. I'd bet on the loaner pack being the main culprit. Remember too that what weight you can pick up at work has little to do with how much weight you can carry on your back.

k2basecamp
07-24-2011, 21:28
My back always hurt when i used an internal frame pack with under 30 lbs. It never hurts with my alpenlite external frame carrying the same weight and it feels like i.m carrying 1/3 less.

Sierra Echo
07-24-2011, 21:43
The trainer may have suggested it because someone was more or less obsessing with weight when fitness levels were more important. A tape measure and how clothes fit are more important than what the scale says.

I weigh myself every morning. That way if the scale starts going up I can correct the problem before it becomes a problem.

Blissful
07-24-2011, 22:42
Getting a pack that fits your torso length correctly is also a big help

Brewerbob
07-25-2011, 12:41
Getting a pack that fits your torso length correctly is also a big helpI have an Eagle Creek pack I got from my aunt. She's not a short woman but not close to my height (6'1"~2") either. I'm guessign the pack is a 65 liter model tho I couldn't find it in their current offerings. First time out with a "real" backpack (my camera bag is a backpack of a fair size) was a couple of weeks ago and it was 35lbs. I did about 8 miles with it in a single day. My trapezius muscles were quite sore. I've done some shopping online for a newer pack and noticed the torso lengths mentioned.

How/where is that measured?

Blissful
07-25-2011, 13:55
Torso length clip

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacks+torso+hip+size.html

rsmout
07-25-2011, 14:44
But my doctor ordered x-rays and discovered I have spina bifida, a deformation of the back. So I might still be in pain even if the pack had been positioned correctly. Maybe not. Has anyone else found out they have a slightly crooked spine and are still able to hike the trail comfortably or at least with little pain?

You might want to get a second opinion on your condition. Were you able to walk as a child? Spina bifida is that serious. You might have have a spinal stenosis, which is a narrowing (not an opening) of the spinal canal. A stenosis can be caused by scoliosis (curvature) or any of several misalignments of the spine.

Point Man Chef
07-25-2011, 15:37
My back always hurt when i used an internal frame pack with under 30 lbs. It never hurts with my alpenlite external frame carrying the same weight and it feels like i.m carrying 1/3 less.

Wow! Awesome! I'm not the only one with an external frame Alpinelite!!!

Ironbelly
07-25-2011, 15:55
I have minor spinal scoliosis. I used to get back pain but since I started using a pack that had alot of adjusment it completely went away. I use the Osprey Aether 70, and it is by far the most comfortable pack ever IMO. An external frame may bring you comfort also, because it keeps the back straighter.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2011, 19:11
I live with back pain. I have osteoarthritis, and have disks that touch in my lower back. However, carrying a pack does not bother it much, because the weight is largely on my hips, where it should be. Minimal weight on the shoulders when adjusted properly and load lifters are incorporated.

Brewerbob
07-26-2011, 08:01
Torso length clip

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacks+torso+hip+size.htmlThx.

I should probably take mine in and have them help adjust it.