PDA

View Full Version : Financial stress on the trail...

Lemni Skate
07-25-2011, 06:21
I read threads where people are trying to figure out how cheaply they can do the trail and believe me I understand (I would already have attempted a thru if I could afford it).

I have always thought I would want to make sure I had PLENTY of money when I eventually (when I retire-10 years--5 if economy is still bad enough Virginia offers us vet teachers early retirement) attempt a thru hike.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced what I'm imagining: Being on the trail trying to "get away from it all," but instead finding yourself worried about money just like in the "real world." I would hate to have to be counting pennies at hostel and not feeling like I could make a fair donation, or couldn't order a pizza with everything when I got to a town, because I was on a strict budget. This is a once in a lifetime thing for most of us and I know there is plenty of discomfort along the way, I just think that financial stress would ruin it for me.

Any stories any of you have about making the hike when short on cash or thrus you know of who have tried it and succeeded (or failed)?

4shot
07-25-2011, 09:19
I think you have a pretty good feel for things. I hiked with a guy who was on a very tight budget and it was "real life, part 2" for him.Having more than enough money gives you the ultimate freedom to do exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it. Flexibility is a very important part of completing the trail and having a sufficient budget allows for that.I found that you do spend alot of money in $10 - $15 increments just buying food,snacks and drinks at convenience stores even though you have a full food bag. The trail obviously can be hiked on a tight budget but that's not a worry that i would want to add to the list. I found enough challenges on a thru-hike without creating my own. Just one opinion of course, I'm sure others feel differently.

Lemni Skate
07-25-2011, 10:06
Yeah, I was wanting to hear both sides. It's all a part of the psychology of thru-hiking. Lack of money would worry me, but there's probably other people for whom that's not an issue, but something that wouldn't bother me at all might drive them crazy.

fiddlehead
07-25-2011, 10:10
Hiking is about the cheapest thing you can do.
Perhaps you need to start living below your means (now)
Get used to it. It's not hard to do.
If your gonna spend most of your time in town, eating and drinking and staying in places with beds, yeah, you might worry about money.
If your gonna spend your time hiking and eating hiking food, you'll probably enjoy it more in the long run.

Limit your town stops. Don't follow the herd. Sleep in your tent. Start dehydrating food now and experiment with hearty, healthy food that is lightweight. Limit your beer intake. In other words: Hike. (not party)

Unless you are hiking the trail for the party side of it. Then, never mind. Just ignore this.

Stir Fry
07-25-2011, 10:10
Lemni Skate, with 5 to 10 years before your thru hike you have plenty of time. Try what I do. I started a seperate savings account and put $25 a week into it. Comes right out of my check before I see it. I will have about $5,800 in the account when I retire in 2014. My wife will be home and my retirement pay will pay all the bills. I should have about $250 a week to spend. Based on my two to three week section hike I have done this should be enough.

Lemni Skate
07-25-2011, 10:20
Sounds like a good plan, Stir Fry.
I think I should be in good shape to do it when it's time. My kids will be out of college (hopefully one or both might join their old papa on his dream) and house paid off. So I don't think money will worry me, but I just empathize when I read about people trying to do the thing on a budget. Still, life has a way of throwing curve balls at you, so I figure I'd better keep my eye on the goal or it'll be easy to get off track.

4shot
07-25-2011, 10:30
If your gonna spend most of your time in town, eating and drinking and staying in places with beds, yeah, you might worry about money.
If your gonna spend your time hiking and eating hiking food, you'll probably enjoy it more in the long run.

Limit your town stops. Don't follow the herd. Sleep in your tent. Start dehydrating food now and experiment with hearty, healthy food that is lightweight. Limit your beer intake. In other words: Hike. (not party)

Lemni Skate...I think this is what you fear (I maybe reaching here). When you go into a hike with conditions..."limit this...limit that...avoid this or that" then what's the point of a thru-hike? trust me,there's all the hiking that one can handle (2,180 miles plus the several hundred more to water, shelters,post offices, etc.) For most of us 50 + plus year olds, the mileage/hiking was sufficient. Many of us were dissapointed at the end of the trail but it wasn't because it was "too short".To enjoy the AT experience, I wanted to see and visit Franlin, Hot Springs, Waynesboro,Monson, etc. You can do both...hike and take in the towns and still finish.I walked 150 days and took 20 zero's and have no regrets.

What you can do is save a bunch and then if you want to finish faster/skip towns/etc. you can do that. You can decide what you want your hike to be. However if you do not set aside sufficient funds, your hand will be forced. as noted, those fighting a budget do have an additional stress. I witnessed it first hand with a guy who I hiked many miles with. whatever you chose to do on your hike, best wishes.

Grampie
07-25-2011, 10:38
Their are two important parts of a sucessfull thru-hike. #1 You have to have enough time. Allow 6-7 months. #2 You have to have adaquate funds. $5,000 to $6,000. Not being able to comply with either of them will cut a thru-hike short.
A thru-hike isn't an expensive experience. Compare it to living off the trail it's rather cheap. Where else can you exist, doing what you love for about $1,000 per month.

Trailbender
07-25-2011, 10:39
I did my 2010 thru on $2,300, including a bus home from Maine. I think the key was having a cozy tent and good sleeping bag. I slept well in my tent, so the hostels or hotels were not a temptation most of the time. I grew up really poor, so financial discipline and frugality are a trait I constantly practice. For the record, on that $2,300 I felt like I splurged a few times. I didn't eat ramens the whole way either.

The better you are with money, the cheaper you can do it. I did not feel deprived, or depressed I had to do it on "so little". I was happy for every day I got to be out there. Sure, there were days that sucked, but every time I got to the top of a mountain and had an amazing view, with the sun coming over a range in the distance, a small town far below, clouds, I always thought it was all worth it. As soon as I get my student loans paid off, I will probably be out there again. Planning another AT thru will give me the desire to do a crap job for a few years and get this paid off.

Sorry for the rambling, I just woke up and haven't had any coffee yet.

Stir Fry
07-25-2011, 10:48
Lemni Skate, You will run into alot of hikers that are on a tight budget, Most to tight IMO. I see it every spring when I do a long section hike. I always end up helping some one with something. Let them share a room no cost, pick up a meal, give away a lot of trail food. I usualy have way to much. Thats going to be one thing that I will have to watch. There are so many good people atempting to hike, its hard not to try and help.

I know for me I do not want to be on a budget. I want to do anything I want to. If I decide to stay in town an extra day I do not want to have to think "Can I aford it". I want to be able to smell the roses so to speak.

snowflakes
07-25-2011, 11:26
I wanted to buy a USED OLD book at an outpost and they wanted $8.00 it didnt cost that price NEW. So make sure you have what you need.

4shot
07-25-2011, 11:36
The better you are with money, the cheaper you can do it. .

I would argue the exact opposite...the better you are with money, the more choices one has. Cheaper is great and there is nothing wrong with it as long as it is a choice and not by necessity then it becomes a burden. again, just my opinion here.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 12:05
I had enough money so that was not an issue for me. But injury was. I was constantly concerned about injuries that would take me off. As you get older, injury becomes a real issue.

sbhikes
07-25-2011, 12:07
I had $60,000 budgeted for my hike. Not really budgeted as in "I saved it up for this hike and this is how much I will spend" but as in I woke up one day and realized I had that much money so why not go hike and see how many years I can stay unemployed afterward.

I had absolutely no worries and could splurge whenever I wanted. However, I didn't find that being a big spender during my hike made it a better experience. Watching the money dwindle gave me anxiety. As I went up the trail, I realized that it was the freedom I liked more than the hotel rooms. So I started experimenting with ways to be a bigger cheapskate on my hike and found that I had more fun. I was able to divide my hike into two hikes and spend almost 2 years unemployed and only used up half of that savings, which included paying my rent and being unemployed for 2 years and buying new gear. Not having a nagging fear of running out of money was definitely a huge contributor to my enjoyment either way.

So, I encourage you to find some way to save up way more than you need. Why stress yourself out on one of the most fun experiences you could ever have? Give up coffee, give up driving to work, buy stuff at thrift-shops, do whatever it takes to save and have a good cushion. And if you can't have a good cushion of money, don't stress not being able to hike the entire trail. The trail will still be there and you can have a second adventure to finish it. Two adventures are better than one anyway.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 13:58
I had $60,000 budgeted for my hike.

Now that makes for a super nice hike. :)

4shot
07-25-2011, 14:41
I had $60,000 budgeted for my hike.

I had absolutely no worries and could splurge whenever I wanted. However, I didn't find that being a big spender during my hike made it a better experience.

as the other poster said, $60k is more than sufficient!:)

as to your other point, spending too much doesn't improve a thru-hike anymore than being underfunded. The analogy is going into a restaurant...if I really want a steak but find and order the least expensive item because i am on a budget, then the meal is a bit dissapointing. On the other hand, if I'm craving a hamburger and soup, but order the steak because it costs more, then I'm disappointed as well. All that having funds do is give you freedom and corresponding choices, which the OP is asking about, and eliminates one potential source of stress on the trail.however,as noted in trailbender's post, funding isn't a dealbreaker either.

Conversely, you can have all the money in the world and not be able to thru hike. Finances are just one component as others have posted.

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 15:05
Do you order a pizza with everything now? Why? Because you like it that way of just cause everyone does? What spending habits do you have now that you wish to continue on the trail?
I guess that I was raised frugal and never minded it. Back in 95 and still today when I have time and money I can manage to take more time off than the average person. And 90 percent of the time do it alone.
When traveling trails, I truly enjoy stopping at a grocery store for a good fried chicken and eating it for two days more than I do going to a good restaurant and having Chicken Marsala (I can fix that at home).
I love to visit towns and see museums and historical places and meet locals but I don't shop for souvenirs or more clothes that I already have (I can't pass up at least browsing any outfitters, we don't have any in South Florida). But I'm that way all year not just when hiking or biking.
In my work I have had many stays at over priced resort type hotels at no cost to me. They bore the hell out of me. ( OK, the towels don't scratch as much as a trail side motel) Maybe because in my youth I worked at them.

So the point of all my rambling is this. What is your real worry? That you will have to worry about spending or that you will miss out on something you are use to? I mean if you are an underpaid teacher in Virginia I'm sure you are use to living frugal. There is nothing wrong with not going to a motel every 3 days in the first 100 miles of trail just cause everyone is and there is nothing wrong with getting a pizza with everything on it...if that's the way you really like it.

10-K
07-25-2011, 15:24
5 or 10 years is a long time from now when it comes to going on a hike. I wouldn't worry about it now. So many things could happen between now and then......

Trailbender
07-25-2011, 16:14
5 or 10 years is a long time from now when it comes to going on a hike. I wouldn't worry about it now. So many things could happen between now and then......

Yeah, the economy is so crappy around here, they want to pay a drywall hanger with 3 years ex $7.25 an hour. Been at the career center all day looking at jobs. About the only thing that is gonna pay what I need is automotive factories. Have to grab one to pay off my student loan debt. Wouldn't worry so much for a job without that. I could grab some crap job for a few months and save up some money then do what I want. I'll just pretend I am in a Soviet gulag for 3 years and work as hard as I can, get this paid off, then I can enjoy the fruits of being cheap. Hike when I want, or whatever.

I'd really like to pay the loan off, but I won't kill myself to do it. Bridgestone pays really well, but the work is dangerous and so is the environment in that plant, as well as lifting 70+ lbs continuously, working 12 hour shifts, ect. I was tempted, but destroying my back to pay off a loan isn't worth it. Your health is your most valuable possession.

Wuff
07-25-2011, 17:55
I knew starting out that I didn't have enough $$, but wanted to try anyway (leave of absence already approved, apartment subleased). So while I was concerned about money on the trail, I decided to just enjoy myself and when the money runs out, pack it in. I could have stretched it to last the whole trip, but I wouldn't have had near as much fun. The beer tasted great and I don't regret it. Now, for my second attempt I'll be sure to bring enough scratch.

Sly
07-25-2011, 18:10
I knew starting out that I didn't have enough $$, but wanted to try anyway (leave of absence already approved, apartment subleased). So while I was concerned about money on the trail, I decided to just enjoy myself and when the money runs out, pack it in. I could have stretched it to last the whole trip, but I wouldn't have had near as much fun. The beer tasted great and I don't regret it. Now, for my second attempt I'll be sure to bring enough scratch.

I started two "thru-hikes" and due to unforeseen circumstances prior to leaving came up short to adequately fund both. Like you, I saved money where I could, but spent freely where I desired. I was able to complete about half the trail in both instances. Got home, found a job and saved to finish the following year. It worked out really well as I met twice as many as I normally would have and was part of two classes.

It wasn't until my third thru-hike I made sure I have enough money to complete the trail.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2011, 18:13
Money, schmoney. Realize that every day of your life that passes by is gone, you will never get it back, and you are one day closer to death? And some would waste theirs by worrying about money!

I work with many folks that work for a living. Thats it, thats ALL they do, ever. They dont LIVE, they EXIST. They have nothing to look forward to, nothing to look back on with fond memories. They work, retire, get sick, and die. Their obituaries usually only talk about what a good employee of xyz company they were. Totally Pathetic. They waste their lives worrying about money. They drank the koolaid, purchased a house they couldnt afford, expensive cars, then lived in fear of losing their job and losing that house and everything else , never went anywhere, never did anything, and eventually got sick and died.

Dont be that way.

Sly
07-25-2011, 18:16
Well worth repeating.

Money, schmoney. Realize that every day of your life that passes by is gone, you will never get it back, and you are one day closer to death? And some would waste theirs by worrying about money!

I work with many folks that work for a living. Thats it, thats ALL they do, ever. They dont LIVE, they EXIST. They have nothing to look forward to, nothing to look back on with fond memories. They work, retire, get sick, and die. Their obituaries usually only talk about what a good employee of xyz company they were. Totally Pathetic. They waste their lives worrying about money. They drank the koolaid, purchased a house they couldnt afford, expensive cars, then lived in fear of losing their job and losing that house and everything else , never went anywhere, never did anything, and eventually got sick and died.

Dont be that way.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2011, 18:17
What Im saying is, some worry evidently about how they can afford to go hike.

They should be thinking that they cannot afford not to!

Johnny Thunder
07-25-2011, 20:48
with regards to saving money for a hike (and enjoying yourself while doing it):

I can't say enough about teaching English abroad. Teaching can be one of the more lucrative and fun gigs if your education background (most just require any bachelors...not a teaching degree), family situation (like, you can put stuff on hold for a year), and career allow it.

I've been in South Korea for a year now and have saved enough money to head out tomorrow and hike for 18 months (if i chose to). It really can't be beat...plus you live in another country for a year! I'm going to stay a second year, sock away a whole mess of cash and still have time to visit Guam, Hawaii, Nepal, and Thailand.

My first through-hike was payed for by keeping myself stapled to a desk. My second hike was payed for by frugal living and a consulting gig. My next 4 or 5 hikes will be paid for by two years spent immersed in a foreign culture, rough-housing with kids all day. Looking back, it doesn't seem fair.

Trailbender
07-25-2011, 22:21

Dont be that way.

Yeah, I live pretty cheap, so I am not that concerned about money. I do have 25K in student loans to pay off, so I am trying to get a decent paying job. I would be ok working like 2 years at a job I don't care for to pay it off, but not any longer than that. Money is not worth my life. I will make a good attempt to pay it back, and I live cheaply enough to do so, but I wouldn't do it for 10 years or whatever to pay off. So work hard, pay that off, then save up as much as I can, do another thru, then decide what to do from there. Fortunately, I don't own much, and really don't care for having stuff, it keeps you chained down.

4shot
07-25-2011, 22:23
with regards to saving money for a hike (and enjoying yourself while doing it):

I can't say enough about teaching English abroad...

sounds like you enjoy what you do, which is great. however, I think you misunderstood the OP's question somewhat...don't think he was seeking career advice (or perhaps maybe it was me who misunderstood the intent of his post).

Johnny Thunder
07-25-2011, 22:37
yeah...i was mostly responding to trail bender who posted earlier about having student loans to pay off. threads tend to drift...i'm definitely guilty of that here. especially, since i didn't quote his post just to give mine some direction.

paradoxb3
07-26-2011, 12:54
similar experience. last year when i left i guessed that i had enough money to make it roughly half way. i had a motorcycle for sale back home, and figured it would sell quick, being spring and i had a VERY generous price on it. i'd checked in back home a few times about it and it still hadnt sold, and by the time i reached harpers ferry, i had less than $100 in the bank and was about to start breaking out credit cards when i called the dealership that was selling it for me, and they had a customer in the store at that moment interested. we worked out a deal and a few days later i had a check in the bank. talk about cutting it close. but from harpers to katahdin i had that money to hike on, and didnt much worry about it the rest of the way. it does suck though being out in the world where nothing should matter, worrying about bills and money.

Feral Nature
07-26-2011, 15:04
I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor. I was a Registered Nurse way back when, but seizures and a mood disorder have prevented me from working and the heavy meds have prevented me from driving a car, and now, my other systems have gone to hell. I am fixing to purchase my shoes and wool socks, I will not scrimp there. I need new shoes anyway so I may as well get the ones I want for hiking and kill 2 birds. They will be broken in here on the farm and on my walks. The rest of my equipment I hope to purchase used or on sale. I am quite frugal and not used to spending money so would be ok being poor on the trail. I have 2 food dehydrators and will be using those to prep. I believe all things are possible and dreams do come true. Even if you are poor.

Trailbender
07-26-2011, 16:57
I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor. I was a Registered Nurse way back when, but seizures and a mood disorder have prevented me from working and the heavy meds have prevented me from driving a car, and now, my other systems have gone to hell. I am fixing to purchase my shoes and wool socks, I will not scrimp there. I need new shoes anyway so I may as well get the ones I want for hiking and kill 2 birds. They will be broken in here on the farm and on my walks. The rest of my equipment I hope to purchase used or on sale. I am quite frugal and not used to spending money so would be ok being poor on the trail. I have 2 food dehydrators and will be using those to prep. I believe all things are possible and dreams do come true. Even if you are poor.

Yeah, if you make that a month, a hike should be easy finance wise. You can make most of the gear yourself.

Feral Nature
07-26-2011, 19:53
Thanks Trailbender. I was wondering if that was even close to what it would take to make it on the AT. I am feeling very happy about this.

Wombat Farm
07-26-2011, 20:08
ok, so I'll put in my 2 cents here too....I haven't done a full thru hike but have done quite a few extended sections. The first time I did a 2 week of MA and VT I thought...oh this will be a really cheap holiday. Not always does it work that way...I found myself enticed by the smell coming from the restaurant at the road crossing or the comfortable bed at the conveniently located motel followed by a nice meal at a sit down restaurant. The next thing you know I'm carrying food I'm not even eating. It can be dangerous but....you can hike cheaply. You just make a choice. I met plenty of people who resisted the "expensive" extras and they seemed just as happy as me. My oldest son is considering a thru hike in the next few years (me too at some point) and I suggested at least $2-3000 but for him he can live on very cheaply. I would say the biggest issue for US residents is health insurance. That's what stopped me years ago from doing a thru - after all no job no insurance usually. If you pay to pick up your own insurance it'll cost a fortune. If you don't have insurance and something happens you're royally screwed (we all know that).

All in all, my suggestion is...consider (as a previous member said) living below your means now (and that'll help you save money) and remember...life ends all too soon for any of us...don't regret not doing what your heart tells you to do.
:-)

Bare Bear
07-27-2011, 15:03
Once you have the basic gear...I spent about $20 per day my last Thru. I know a guy that spent about $300 for his Thru of the AT. The very best of any Trail is the people and they are always free.

Feral Nature
07-27-2011, 16:13
Bare Bear, was that $300. spent JUST on the trail or $300. on the trail AND for the food he prepared ahead of time?

sbhikes
07-28-2011, 22:37
I recieve a small SSDI disability check of $562.00. So I am used to being poor.

You'll still be getting that $562 while you are hiking. That will make you richer than most on the trail. Even though I had a big lump of money in the bank, I had no income while I was hiking and no income when I got home until I was able to find a job. At first I could only find a part-time job. It took a few years to get a full-time job and it's not at the same level of pay as what it was before hiking. So even though I had more money than you then and more income than you now, in many ways, I would rather be totally free like you are.

Bronk
07-29-2011, 04:25
I spent 4 months on the trail in 2002 and only spent about $1600 or $1700, which is less than $15 a day. I pigged out at restaurants every time I passed a town and had a few beers occasionally. I never worried about money or watched how much I spent. But what I didn't do was spend a lot of time in motels. My town philosophy is get in and get out...it shouldn't take you longer than 2 or 3 hours to do a town stop unless there are extenuating circumstances...that's long enough to shower and laundry, resupply and get a restaurant meal. I took almost all of my zero days on the trail...there's nowhere to spend money on the trail just because. Even if you get into town late in the day you can hike a mile in the dark and set up your tent on the edge of town.

Every night you spend in a motel you're talking $40 to $60 (or more) for the room, plus some beer and probably two extra meals in town because of the extra time you'll be spending there. So I look at it like you're spending $100 a day when you stay in a motel. Do that 3 times a month and you can see that you'll almost be doubling what you spend.

Don't get into a click with other hikers so much that you feel like you have to do everything they do...you'll end up spending money you wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Have good equipment that works well and keeps you comfortable, and carry some real food out of town with you, even if its just enough for one meal or one day. If you are going so ultralight that you dread spending a nite on the trail in the rain or cold then you'll be spending more time and money in town...likewise if you are only eating ramen noodles and lipton dinners.

Bronk
07-29-2011, 04:49
I spent 4 months on the trail in 2002 and only spent about $1600 or $1700, which is less than $15 a day. I pigged out at restaurants every time I passed a town and had a few beers occasionally. I never worried about money or watched how much I spent. But what I didn't do was spend a lot of time in motels. My town philosophy is get in and get out...it shouldn't take you longer than 2 or 3 hours to do a town stop unless there are extenuating circumstances...that's long enough to shower and laundry, resupply and get a restaurant meal. I took almost all of my zero days on the trail...there's nowhere to spend money on the trail just because. Even if you get into town late in the day you can hike a mile in the dark and set up your tent on the edge of town.

Every night you spend in a motel you're talking $40 to $60 (or more) for the room, plus some beer and probably two extra meals in town because of the extra time you'll be spending there. So I look at it like you're spending $100 a day when you stay in a motel. Do that 3 times a month and you can see that you'll almost be doubling what you spend.

Don't get into a click with other hikers so much that you feel like you have to do everything they do...you'll end up spending money you wouldn't have otherwise spent.

Have good equipment that works well and keeps you comfortable, and carry some real food out of town with you, even if its just enough for one meal or one day. If you are going so ultralight that you dread spending a nite on the trail in the rain or cold then you'll be spending more time and money in town...likewise if you are only eating ramen noodles and lipton dinners.

Trailbender
07-29-2011, 09:49

Yeah, also keep a record of what you spend money on and find cheaper alternatives. These may or may not work. I do this ruthlessly at home, and live fairly cheaply(about 8-900 a month, including rent). Try something out, if it doesn't work, go back to what you had. Even saving a little bit adds up. Get cash back in stores instead of ATM's, do the nero's, wood's zeros(get a cheap or free book from a library in town while you are there). If you have financial self discipline, doing a hike on the cheap and not suffering isn't hard.

English Stu
08-02-2011, 06:30
Bronk has it about right re finances but there are a lot of laughs in town and you meet and learn about the towns from the locals. With the time you have get your gear in order and light, you can soon drop some cash at the great outfitters on the trail.

Tammy Petry
08-02-2011, 12:09
I'm planning a 2012 thru hike and I have never had a lot of money. I also get Social Security, about $700/month and I will only have to pay my Verizon bill out of that each month on the trail. I should have about $550-$575/month for the trip. I have a food dehydrator and am getting a vacuum sealer next month so I can make a lot of my food and have it sent to me along the way. I still want a few cold beers and some burgers but I'm not looking to motel hop. I have basic health insurance, so while I am "poor" to most, I do have the freedom to take off and do this. I am very thankful for support from the homefront as well. This means I will have a home to come back to and I won't have to worry about bills except for our Verizon. If I am "poor" I'll gladly take it because I am richly blessed with the time and means to GO. I'd much rather go on a budget and have the experience now versus waiting till I'm too old/fat/out of shape (take your pick) to really enjoy my time on the AT. I may make it to Katahdin, I may not, but I'm sure gonna enjoy the experience each and every day.
So, I guess my point is this: If you think you have enough to go, GO. Life is waaaaaaaaay too short.
Just my two cents. :D
T.

Del Q
08-02-2011, 20:29
Even Bill Gates could not spend a LOT of money on the trail.........I mean how many zero days would one really spend in the more expensive towns? Kent / Hanover..........$150+ B & B's along the way.

Once the gear is paid for................anyone should be able to wrangle enough cash to have an enjoyable hike. To me that means a good meal when desired and available..........a hotel room, buying a fellow hikers some drinks, etc

The trail is the great equalizer..........we are all homeless and carrying everything we own with us. The CEO of Whole Foods thru hiked years ago, I spend some time with a Money Manager from Merrill Lynch.

More money - better GORP

traildust
08-06-2011, 16:21
Money no problem for us. Injury got us two years in a row. All the money can't garrranteee success.

DapperD
08-06-2011, 20:52
Injury got us two years in a row. All the money can't garrranteee success.Absolutely true. Nothing can. Many different things can and have occured to hiker's that have pulled them from the trail that weren't even related to the trail, such as problems with a loved one's health taking a turn for the worse, or problems at the home front. No one knows what can occur once the trip is underway. One thing is for sure though, it is always better to have enough money and not need it all, then to need it and not have enough.

darkage
08-12-2011, 14:36
Hiking is about the cheapest thing you can do.
Perhaps you need to start living below your means (now)
Get used to it. It's not hard to do.

Unless you are hiking the trail for the party side of it. Then, never mind. Just ignore this.

Exactly what i'm doing in march, little to no social interaction ... just me an the mountain ... not that i have a problem with partying, hell .. i do, i just don't drink nor do i wanna spend my time in hostels unless severely weathered and need a break for shower/clothing ... and i've been in some really nice places, its just not what i want my thru hike to be ... a hostel to hostel, i don't even use shelters but once in a blue moon, in the last 5 years i think i used 2 ... and that was just cause they were empty and i was too tired to setup my tent, lol ... I just have a mindset to do it as primitive as possible with modern comforts like pads/tents etc ... limit towns to food and onward ... unless i wanna see a historical site or must see along the way, don't get me wrong thats part of the trip ... mine will just be more strict ... everyone has a different plan, thats mine. And it could very well change, but i have enough experiance to see me sticking to it. I'm gonna have enough money, on a low budget ... i'm doubling what i used when i hiked PA last year, and what i don't use carry's over to the next months budget, so by the time i hit the higher states, i'll have more budget than when i started if i tight wad at the beginning. =)

DapperD
08-14-2011, 12:50
Exactly what i'm doing in march, little to no social interaction ... just me an the mountain ... not that i have a problem with partying, hell .. i do, i just don't drink nor do i wanna spend my time in hostels unless severely weathered and need a break for shower/clothing ... and i've been in some really nice places, its just not what i want my thru hike to be ... a hostel to hostel, i don't even use shelters but once in a blue moon, in the last 5 years i think i used 2 ... and that was just cause they were empty and i was too tired to setup my tent, lol ... I just have a mindset to do it as primitive as possible with modern comforts like pads/tents etc ... limit towns to food and onward ... unless i wanna see a historical site or must see along the way, don't get me wrong thats part of the trip ... mine will just be more strict ... everyone has a different plan, thats mine. And it could very well change, but i have enough experiance to see me sticking to it. I'm gonna have enough money, on a low budget ... i'm doubling what i used when i hiked PA last year, and what i don't use carry's over to the next months budget, so by the time i hit the higher states, i'll have more budget than when i started if i tight wad at the beginning. =)I think that by setting out to do a thru-hike in this way you will be instantly increasing your odds of success. I think the people who go out and have a solid plan and want to minimize the partying and the hanging-around are the ones that are really serious about their thru-hike and want to and will most likely ultimately go all the way. The people who go out there to hang out, party, sponge off other's, etc... and don't really set out/intend to physically push themselves in order to continue to make progress, or simply arrive in poor physical condition to hike let alone hike up and down mountains and over rough terrain all day long are going to be the ones that will usually drop out. I do believe however interaction with people and especially other thru-hikers while out there is a positive thing in that knowledge from other's can be attained that may prove useful for ones hike. Also the camaraderie of being around other's who are attempting the same goal and going threw the same conditions and efforts to succeed can make one's hike feel that much more worthwhile, and because it would be, in my opinion, that much more fun being successful and sharing that success with other's who are ultimately successful.

darkage
08-14-2011, 23:38
More or less city/town social life i ment, People on the trail i've met and will meet are another great reason to hike it ... stay focused .. we got this.

DapperD
08-15-2011, 00:16
More or less city/town social life i ment, People on the trail i've met and will meet are another great reason to hike it ... stay focused .. we got this.Glad you cleared that up. It sounded somewhat anti-social.