PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian trail

meirosilio
07-25-2011, 09:23
hey

I visit USA in this summer and i want to do part form the APE trail. I need an information and advises...:)

1. I want to do 3 weeks of hiking.
2. I will start the trail on 28.8.11.
3. I want to do the president range.
4. I want to start the trail around New Hampshire , where it is recommended ?
5.when is the last date for hiking?
6.which gear is needed for the trail?
7. the most important thing that i need to know is where I should start the trail and where I should finish it.

thanks Meir.

DLANOIE
07-25-2011, 11:49
Hello and Welcome. Those are alot of big questions! IF I was starting late August and wanted to hike NH/Presidentials and I had three weeks to hike and depending on your physical abilities, I would start at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center near Gorham, NH on rte. 16.. Follow the Appalachian Trail as far as you want. Just follow the white blazes! Finish in Hanover, NH and take bus system back to Gorham(if thats possible).There is no "last day of hiking". Unless you plan on hiking to Mnt. Katahdin, in which case normally you have until Oct. 15. As far as gear, a good three season tent, 0-20* rated sleeping bag and good mat. Plenty of warm clothes and usually enough food for 4-5 days between resupply points. There are plenty of good articles you should read up on here regarding most/all of your questions...Hope this helps.

DavidNH
07-25-2011, 12:44
I suggest you start your hike at Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth College!). You can get there via bus from Boston. From Hanover in three weeks you can hike the whole of the state (including the Franconia, Presidential and Carter Ranges) ending at Gorham, NH (from here you can get a bus back to Boston/Logan Airport. If conditions were good and you were very fit you could probably get the Mahoosic range in as well and end at Andover ME where you hitch ride or get shuttle to Gorham. For your planning, be sure to purchase an AT trail guide.

DavidNH
07-25-2011, 12:47
There is NO public transport from Hanover to Gorham. As far as last day of hiking goes Dlanoie is correct.. your only deadline for finishing hike really is weather. The weather is good through most of September. In October things can and often will go down hill real fast.

Hello and Welcome. Those are alot of big questions! IF I was starting late August and wanted to hike NH/Presidentials and I had three weeks to hike and depending on your physical abilities, I would start at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center near Gorham, NH on rte. 16.. Follow the Appalachian Trail as far as you want. Just follow the white blazes! Finish in Hanover, NH and take bus system back to Gorham(if thats possible).There is no "last day of hiking". Unless you plan on hiking to Mnt. Katahdin, in which case normally you have until Oct. 15. As far as gear, a good three season tent, 0-20* rated sleeping bag and good mat. Plenty of warm clothes and usually enough food for 4-5 days between resupply points. There are plenty of good articles you should read up on here regarding most/all of your questions...Hope this helps.

Jack Tarlin
07-25-2011, 12:56
Actually there is indeed public transportation from Hanover to Gorham. According to what's posted currently on their website, there's one Greyhound Bus each day leaving Hanover at 1:45 in the afternoon, arriving in Gorham at 8:30. Make sure you confirm this schedule, tho, as it has been known to change.

emerald
07-25-2011, 13:06
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

General information and maps

http://www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org)

Appalachian Mountain Club

Hut reservations

http://www.outdoors.org

New Hampshire Fish and Game / White Mountain National Forest, US Forest Service

Gear recommendations, weather and safety

http://www.hikesafe.com

meirosilio
07-25-2011, 13:52
hey,

thank you very much guys.
transportation isn't my problem cuase I have a friend from Boston that will take me to the beging of the trail.
I boghut a book NH TO VERMONT that inculds maps ext.
I will hike alone so I want to follew the drection that most of the hikers go (sth - nrth or opssite?).

DLANOIE
07-25-2011, 15:34
northbound

nehiker
07-27-2011, 14:03
Actually there is indeed public transportation from Hanover to Gorham. According to what's posted currently on their website, there's one Greyhound Bus each day leaving Hanover at 1:45 in the afternoon, arriving in Gorham at 8:30. Make sure you confirm this schedule, tho, as it has been known to change.

Google Concord Trailways. They operate daily to/from Gorham and several times a day (as Dartmouth Coach) to/from Hanover. The bus originate in Boston, but you can connect in Manchester and Concord, NH.