PDA

View Full Version : Most scenic

Engine21
02-08-2005, 23:32
Im sure this has been asked a thousand times but I m curious as to peoples opinions of the nicest sections of trail because i will be doing a 6 week section of it just not sure were yet.

Kerosene
02-08-2005, 23:38
I'll put a vote in for the area around Roanoke, Virginia. Here is my journal (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2957) for that trip, with links to some of the best views I've had on the AT.

A-Train
02-08-2005, 23:46
Yea, I also cast a vote for the Catawba area which I thought was kind of a hidden gem. You mention six weeks. Erwin to Waynsboro is about 500 miles and could be done over this time. Other than that, the obvious one is the Whites and Maine. You could hike from Hanover to Katahdin pretty easily in 6 weeks as well.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2005, 00:02
Favorite sections:

1. Erwin TN to Damascus VA, esp. the area between Carver's Gap and Rt.
2. Damascus to Marion, VA., esp. the Massie Gap area of Grayson
Highlands State Park
3. Just South of, and then up to 20 miles North of Catawba, VA (Dragon's
Tooth to Troutville).
4. Vermont, from Rt.9 to Sherburne Pass
5. Any part of Maine, in September, in particular the Bigelow Range

Skyline
02-09-2005, 00:38
Erwin TN north to Dickey Gap VA, then skip ahead to Trout Creek (VA 620) and go as far north as time allows--perhaps all the way through SNP if you're into making miles.

cutman11
02-09-2005, 04:16
Ever since I did the photo op on McAfee Knob, Ive wondered what you thrus would consider the "top ten" spots. Im not talking sections, but the best spots to stand...I would think Springer, Katahdin, McAfee knob, Hump Mountain looking at the Overmountain shelter on Yellow mtn, The Bald overlooking Carver's gap, Rhotodendron Gap in the Grayson Highlands would be the six that come to mind for me(havent done north of Rockfish gap yet though). Any takers on the "top ten" list?

The Hog
02-09-2005, 07:29
Start at the Connecticut River and go north. You'll do the White Mountains and Maine, a fantastic stretch of trail. And the end point, Mt. Katahdin, is peerless.

Jaybird
02-09-2005, 08:01
some of my FAVE A.T.sections:

Carvers Gap to Damascus &

the Presidentials (i section hiked this a few years ago while on New England Vacation) :D

squirrel bait
02-09-2005, 08:27
I agree with Keorsene that the Catawba Valley around Roanoke is fabulous. Great views, challenging climbs, ridgewalks and pastures. Read his journal and follow one bit of advice for sure, going over Dragons Tooth southbound in July is a bi**h. If you want to camp on the ridges you have to hump water up to them as they are dry. Good luck on your hike.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2005, 08:46
It's all scenic. I'm thankful I can see.

Footslogger
02-09-2005, 09:58
Just too many great ones to single any out.

On the other hand ...how about the "least scenic" spots, like the sign by a creek warning people about danger and polution. It was near a factory outside of Bland (I think it was out of Bland).

Anyway, the point is that there are fewer non-scenic places on the AT than there are scenic ones.

'Slogger

chris
02-09-2005, 11:02
Between Springer and Vermont, I'd say the single prettiest section is the Roan Range/Overmountain area, although Cold Mountain in VA is close. Following shortly after Cold Mountain are some more stunners. I really liked the climb out of Lehigh Gap and the ensuing plateau walk,although several hikers chastised me for calling it beautiful. I think they objected because the beauty was called by some rather unpleasant pollution.

If you are looking for a nice hike, consider something like the Fontana to Hot Springs, which gets you the Smokys and Max Patch. On the average, I think this is about my favorite long stretch on the AT.

rocket04
02-09-2005, 12:29
I caught the Saddlebacks on a great day and I thought they offered some of the most beautiful sceneries on the trip.

Tim Rich
02-09-2005, 13:29
I don't know when you're planning to do your six week section, but going over Roan Mtn. during the rhododendron bloom is incredible, and the views from the southern balds are great. The Catawba section that includes McAfee's Knob, Tinker Cliffs and Dragon's Tooth is great - that 30 mile stretch is one of the few I've taken the time to hike twice as I've sectioned north. If it's warm enough, my highest recommendation would be the Whites and western Maine.

That being said, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any six week stretch of the trail.

Enjoy your hike,

Tim