PDA

View Full Version : questions about John Muir Trail

DavidNH
07-25-2011, 12:51
If someone here has hiked the John Muir Trail I have some questions:

I've noticed one can do guided trips that thru hike this trail. But cost is about 4000 $ and that doesn't include cost to get there. Is it/can it be much cheaper if one goes on own and unguided?

I have solo thru hiked the Appalachian Trail a few years back. Would I be safe or should I be concerned about solo hiking the JMT?

just how crowded is the trail really? I read that it has very much been discovered!

what is best month to hike it?

Is it true that it hardly ever rains there during summer?

how tough is trail compared to AT?

Thanks,

DavidNH

Sly
07-25-2011, 13:01
Ther's no way I'd pay for a guide hike. It's not needed and not worth it.

For the most part the JMT is no harder than the AT. The only unknown factor is how your body will deal with elevation. I suggest you spend a couple days hanging out and day hiking at Toulemne Meadows on your way to Yosemite Valley. You'll also be able to leave some food here for it's about a 9000' gain over the first 24 miles.

Solo is fine. After leaving the Valley and then the TM area, with exception of civilization at Devils Postpile and Red's Meadows, there's not a road crossing the rest of the 200 miles.

I think September is the best month, no crowds, no bugs, no snow and the weather is still awesome. It may rain once or twice.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
07-26-2011, 08:51
it rains and snows there in the summer. That no rain thing is a myth based on some drought summers that may have had 2-3 week dry windows. I've had one of those in 15+ JMTs.

Guide? Why? The trail is really difficult to lose. Resupply logistics take some effort but there's enough info online to figure all that out. What can a guide do other than take your money? I don't even know if any of them have a license from the parks and the forest service. Other than horse packers doing those fancy trips with lobster and wine, I don't really know of any JMT guiding, at least nothing official. But heck - for $4000, I'll take you down the trail any day you want - one guide, one hiker. How about October? I'll be there for some late season full moon travel starting in the first week of the month.

The trail is relatively busy in the peak season (mid July through mid September).

Has it been "discovered?" More people on it in the late 80s and early 90s than these days. Folks are happy to sit at home facebooking and tweeting and watching nature on their HD displays than actually going out there. Compared to European mountains where I grew up, the Sierra was never discovered. In 2009, we hiked for 1.5 days and 25+ miles southbound between Muir Pass and Pinchot Pass in mid July without meeting another human. In Europe, you meet 150+ people a day on a popular trail. A normal summer day on the JMT means 10-15 people may cross your path.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
07-26-2011, 08:55
I think September is the best month, no crowds, no bugs, no snow and the weather is still awesome. It may rain once or twice.

the no crowds in September thing may be a myth. At least in my experience, September brings all the people to the trail who want to avoid crowds, and that's a pretty good crowd in itself. Thing about September is that the place is all burned out and there are no flowers, plus water gets a little harder to find. No skeeters is a big plus, but bring the warmer sleeping bag.

Blissful
07-26-2011, 10:01
Agree on elevation - I was in 11,000 out in Colorado and it can sap you. Even after a week over 8,000 I still was not acclimated, but I was getting there. Then had to leave. :(

DavidNH
07-27-2011, 00:10
Am I correct in my assumption that the JMT is better graded than the AT? There are switch backs and none of this straight up the mountainside and right over boulder fields like on the AT? Just how steep does the JMT get?

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I was having a real hard time wrapping my arms around 4 grand for 3 weeks! Don't really have that kinda dough. How much would you suggest one budget for a non guided solo trip of the JMT (all inclusive excluding cost of transportation to trailheads?

Heck.. at 4000.. I should be able to do the GR five through Europe.. staying at hotels and refuges and eating multi course meals!

maxpower88
07-27-2011, 09:39
Am I correct in my assumption that the JMT is better graded than the AT? There are switch backs and none of this straight up the mountainside and right over boulder fields like on the AT? Just how steep does the JMT get?

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I was having a real hard time wrapping my arms around 4 grand for 3 weeks! Don't really have that kinda dough. How much would you suggest one budget for a non guided solo trip of the JMT (all inclusive excluding cost of transportation to trailheads?

Heck.. at 4000.. I should be able to do the GR five through Europe.. staying at hotels and refuges and eating multi course meals!

The JMT and the AT are like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion, totally different hiking experiences, I just got off the LT and I am heading to Kearsarge pass for a 10 day section to Reds Meadow and I am looking forward to the EASY tread & grade. The steepest section on the whole PCT/JMT is 13%-14% due to pack animal travel, there are NO instances when the trail will just go up and over a mountain, instead it will take you 8 miles out of the way switching back & forth and running the side of the mountain, at that point you may be wishing it was graded like the AT. (HA-ha)

There is definitely NO reason to pay anyone anything to hike the JMT, especially in late summer or fall when there is no snow, the weather is pleasant and yes it may rain once or twice but nothing consistent like the 3 or 4 day a week thunderstorms on the east coast. The tread in my opinion is a joke compared to the AT, it usually consists of a flat sandy path with little or no rocks and wide open views, no green tunnel. I have found the JMT/PCT to be enjoyable hiking as where the AT/LT was more work, effort, & pain, but that is just my opinion and you need to hike your own hike, I hope this helps and you have a great time out there, happy trails.

SassyWindsor
07-27-2011, 09:59
Time to hike: after June 15th or so.
Guide: Never
Difficult: No, however Mount Whitney can have severe weather/snow/ice if you decide to take the side trail to it.
Direction of travel I prefer: Yosemite to Lone Pine

DavidNH
07-27-2011, 14:37
you Have to climb Mount Whitney. It's where the JMT starts/ends!

I feel lot better about things. So how much should one budget for a 3 week (+- end to end trip of the JMT all inclusive but excluding airfare? Would 2 grand do it? (4,000 is just plain to much in mho).

flemdawg1
07-27-2011, 16:45
I suppose, like the AT, it depends on you. Some mandatory expenses are:
Wilderness Permit $5+$5/person
Bear can rental $5/week
Yosemite entrance fee $10 or $20 if driving
Camping/hotels/hostels varies
Shuttles/Buses varies
Resupply varies, resupply points (Red's Meadow, JMT Ranch) have handling fees for maildrops.($30-50)

i_Hike
01-17-2013, 11:24
Maine Black Flies in June vs. spring Mosquitos in Yosemite

who wins?

My experience with black flies in Maines 100 mile wilderness was pretty bad at some points( in hair, ears, eyes, mouth, cooking in tent , etc) Plus Deet did little to deter them.

Anyone experienced both?

wcgornto
01-17-2013, 11:56
Permethrin treated clothes plus Ben's 100 on exposed skin will generally keep skeeters down. This combo worked well for me on the AT and it's my plan for the JMT this July.

I didn't experience many black flies in Maine on 2009 because it rained so much. Apparently, black flies prefer sunny days.

lvnv1212
01-17-2013, 12:52
I hiked the JMT 2012, from Aug 22-Sept 10

Time to hike: August 20-Sept 20. I had no rain, no crowds of people, and no mosquitoes (every year may be different). Night temps got to high 20's twice at elevation - normally mid 30's.
Guide: Not needed at all - Path is well marked and of course there are those maps and compass things
Difficult: Easy to Medium. Every step was filled with jaw-dropping, inexplicable beauty!!!!!
Direction of travel I prefer: Yosemite to Lone Pine

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 14:40
I've noticed one can do guided trips that thru hike this trail. But cost is about 4000 $ and that doesn't include cost to get there. Is it/can it be much cheaper if one goes on own and unguided?

LOL. I'm in the wrong biz if there are those who are willing to pay $4K for a guided JMT thru-hike. I've thrued it 3 times and have done large sections of it several other times. Tell you what, I'll give you a guided JMT thru-hike for $2K providing you with an experience you'll never forget. When do you want to go. Honestly, I could do that for you, BUT really, folks don't need a guide to thru the JMT especially when it's not largely under snow. There are many who thru the JMT as their first thru-hiking or hiking experience. Lots of info on the JMT to plan your own hike.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2013, 17:30
Maine Black Flies in June vs. spring Mosquitos in Yosemite

who wins?

My experience with black flies in Maines 100 mile wilderness was pretty bad at some points( in hair, ears, eyes, mouth, cooking in tent , etc) Plus Deet did little to deter them.

Anyone experienced both?

Wow, that's a tough one. I haven't experienced black flies in Maine in particular but had a few days in New Hampshire & Vermont where they were vicious. Then in early summer of '11 (following the very heavy snow year), we day-hiked up the Lyell Fork in Yosemite and the mosquitoes were unbelievable - even the the middle of the day. Now that was a very wet year with a very wet trail.

At least black flies go away at night usually before dark whereas mosquitoes can get worse. Black fly season is shorter.