PDA

View Full Version : JMT in 2 years. So many ???

flemdawg1
07-25-2011, 14:00
My wife and I decided for our 20 anniversary we'd like to hike the JMT. That's 2 years off. SO I'm starting the planning now.

Planning for 3 weeks plus a weekend (24 days) ~ July 18-August 11th 2013. Would like to minimize (in order): bugs, freezing temps/snow, heat. Would these dates accomplish this?

Fly into SF, take BART to Richmond, then AMTRAK to Yosemite Valley.
Seems like with that many connections (3x for flight, 2x for BART, 3x for AMTRAK) I'm just asking to get stranded somewhere along the way). Should I go ahead and build in an extra day at YV for repacking, delays, sightseeing? Is the extravagance of a night at the Ahwanee worth it (~$500)?

Resupplies: I'm thinking 1 or 2. More than 1 sounds like a pain, esp since they ask so much $ just to hold a box. Is it worth the expense/hassle to get a pack mule food drop?

Return: ??? Seems like another hassle to get from Whitney Portal back to SF. Hitch to Lone Pine, bus to a town w/ Yarts. Then Amtrak & Bart back to SF? Should I have a mail drop sent to Lone Pine or YV for luggage, clean clothes? Add in another delay/sight seeing day or 2?

All this logistical PITA, makes the actual hiking sound pretty easy.:confused:

OHBob
07-25-2011, 14:35
Hi, I've hiked the JMT twice and each time only had one package sent for resupply at the muir trail ranch. They charge to hold the package of food, should be shipped in a big plastic paint can that you can get for free many places, or at any home improvent store such as Lowe's or Home Depot. Muir Trail also has some supplies. I liked the stop there. You also can resupply early on at Touleme Meadows, Reds Meadow and VVR. I flew into Sacramento, took Amtrak from there to Yosemite without problem. The backpacker site has spaces for those getting ready to hit the trail and those coming northbound and departing. It's a nice place to chat with some of the people who also will be on the trail or gain bits of news about the trail from those getting off.
Getting a ride out of Whitney Portal is easy, plus they do have some people who will pick you up for a fee. Both times I made it to Lone Pine without a problem. There's a backpacker camp at Whiteny Portal also where you can stay the night if you get in late and don't want to risk a hitch to Lone Pine.
From Lone Pine you can catch a bus back to your destination. The bus doesn't run every day, if I remember correctly, so maybe check the schedule. Sorry, I don't have it handy at this computer. I went to Reno from there.
Also, just Google the JMT sites and you'll get plenty of information about planning.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 19:44
Hope you don't get a snow year like we had this year (and had to cancel our plans) or your planning can end up quite different.

flemdawg1
07-25-2011, 19:52
Hope you don't get a snow year like we had this year (and had to cancel our plans) or your planning can end up quite different.

When did you go?

flemdawg1
07-25-2011, 19:53
Or had planned to go?

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 20:24
While a a night at the Ahwanee is out of my budget you are correct to consider extra delay time for arrival and your permits departure date.
On one of my trips from BART to Amtrak there was a chemical accident in Richmond and the stopped both. I should write a book on my Amtrak delays, but I still love them.
It was easy then to get into the backpackers overnight site in the Valley, don't know if it still is. But there are cheaper options than Ahwaneeunless unless you want the luxury.

flemdawg1
07-26-2011, 12:22
She deserves a splurge for putting up w/ me for 20 yrs.

How are my dates? July 18- August 11 Would I be mosquito bait at that time? How cold is it on most of the trail at that time, I'd like to use my Golite 40 quilt (used in GA in April down to freezing w/ extra clothing)?

Is one bear can big enough for the 100 miles between JMR and Whitney Portal for 2 people (8-10 days)?

Should I just stop asking Qs, and buy a guide book? Which one, the Alan Castle or the Elizabeth Wenk? :D

mangus7175
07-26-2011, 12:38
Guides to help get started

http://johnmuirtrail.org/index.html

http://www.hikejmt.com/

(http://johnmuirtrail.org/index.html)Topos.

http://www.onthetrail.org/jmtmaps.html

(http://www.onthetrail.org/jmtmaps.html)

Woods
07-26-2011, 12:57
The Yahoo Group is a really good source for information. I own both books I would say Elizabeth Wenk is an all around better book. I dont think one bear canister would get 2 peoples food for 8-10 days for 2 people.

QiWiz
07-28-2011, 12:57
Is one bear can big enough for the 100 miles between JMR and Whitney Portal for 2 people (8-10 days)?

No way. You will typically get 5-6 days of ONE person's food into most bear canisters, never mind more days and two people. With careful choices (high fat, low volume choices), you could get 8-9 days of food into one expedition sized cannister like Wild Ideas' Bearikade (largest model) for ONE person. That way, you could each just carry one canister. Otherwise you may end up needing 3 or 4 canisters for the two of you. Don't kill the messenger . . .