PDA

View Full Version : Considering a first time thru-hike... solo.

reilly
07-25-2011, 15:12
I'm pulled to the idea of doing a thru-hike this March/April, but I'm a woman... and I'm single... and if I go, I'll be alone.
Part of the pull is doing it alone, but I can't help but be scared by the idea of being some kind of target. Just about everyone I have told (which admittedly, is few) thinks it's not safe enough. Or to carry a gun. (Which I won't do.)

So...Does anyone have any experiences that they learned from?
I'm not necessarily looking for a pep-talk about how women can do everything, and to just go do it. I'm looking for practical advice.

10-K
07-25-2011, 15:18
Hey - I get to be the first to say: "You're safer on the trail than in the city."

and....

You won't be completely alone and you'll have ample opportunities to get to know other hikers as you work up the trail as a quasi-pack.

Seriously though - welcome and you've came to the right place for encouragement to go hiking.

Pollen
07-25-2011, 15:25
I too am planning a solo thru-hike 2012, also not one family member or friend thinks it is a good idea.... That said, not one family/friend ever hikes and only 2 friends ever camp. I have corresponded with nearly a hundred women that backpack alone and several dozen solo female thru-hikers and they all say the same thing, 'the only way you hike the AT alone is if you want to'. I recommend emailing the ATC @ http://www.appalachiantrail.org/ and request a list of solo female hikers to correspond with about specific concerns. There are some really amazing women willing to help newbies.

Hope this helps

seabrookhiker
07-25-2011, 15:26
You won't be a target. I mean, I guess you could encounter a crazy, but that could happen in the parking lot of your local grocery store as easily as on the trail. I'm more alert at the grocery - more people, more things for them to hide behind.

There are about as many women as men on the trail now. I soloed last year and spent the night in a shelter with only women in it more than once. I.e., there are plenty of other women if you want to be around other women.

You may start alone but a lot of people fall into groups along the way. Maybe not the same group the whole way, but you'll most likely know people well enough to say "hey" to that you'll see every day. If you wish to have company, you likely will. And if you don't wish to, you can keep to yourself.

Btw, everybody says it's dangerous no matter what, unless they're hikers. EVERYBODY. They don't know. Also, for some reason everybody asks if you're going to carry a gun, even if you have never carried one for defense before. People are scared of the dark, basically. It's an irrational fear. Just smile and say you'll be fine. (FWIW, the men get the same response when they tell people they're thruhiking. It's not a woman-only phenomenon.)

If you did start the trail with a partner, be aware that not all partnerships work for six months! It's a pretty thorough test of a relationship, whether romantic or not.

To allay fears of family and friends, you could meet some other folks online who are departing the same time as you. Then you could say "Oh, yeah, Chainsaw and I are both leaving on the 15th." That made my mom feel better, though it made no real difference to me.

Six-Six
07-25-2011, 15:27
First thing: Good for you. It's wonderful to have a dream and a goal and a plan to get there. I was in your place a couple of years ago. Now I am planning for my thru next spring. From everything I have seen and heard, you may think you are travelling solo, but you are hardly ever alone. If you start at Springer anytime between mid March and May, you will be traveling with a accordion of other hikers, some passing you, some you pass, and most you will see again and again and again at shelters, trailheads and towns. Do your research. Visit the Femaile Hiker sections of this forum and anywhere else you can find. Ask all the questions you want. Visit your outfitter store again and again and again. Everytime to go you will learn something new. Then do some test hikes and overnighters to see how you like it and to practice your camping skills. After you do a good long hike, check which muscles are sore the second day home. Those are the ones to work on before the next hike. Most of all, relax. You will have a traveling family of brothers and sisters out there. I am so looking forward to it. You will too. It's going to be an experience of a lifetime.

bigcranky
07-25-2011, 15:48
If you start at Springer in March or April, you may be a "solo hiker," but you will not be alone. There will be plenty of other hikers on the trail, and you'll quickly fall in with a group of like-minded hikers. You don't have to do so in any formal way, of course, but you'll at least be talking to people as you hike, camp, cook, get water, and resupply. You'll know who is out there, and hikers do look out for each other.

I would suggest that you make a reservation at The Hiker Hostel for the night before your hike. You'll get to stay with a group of starting hikers, and then you'll know a few people once you start the trail. (You'll also get a great breakfast and a ride to Springer.)

Finally, in terms of safety: I have a 21 year old daughter who is a college student. If she came to me and wanted to solo hike the AT, I would happily drive her to the trailhead. She's much safer on the trail than in college. (Of course the trail has its own dangers, but they are more subtle - ticks cause Lyme disease, mice can get in your food, you can blow out your knee. But in general, the dangers from rednecks, bears, snakes is highly overblown.)

reilly
07-25-2011, 15:54
I'll just spit out the uncomfortable, possibly irrational, fear: Rape.

Anyone ever hear of this happening on the trail?
Or has anyone else been concerned with this?

(Also, thanks everyone for so many great replies! And so quickly!!)

seabrookhiker
07-25-2011, 16:26
I have not heard of rape on the trail. I would be surprised if there never had been one, as we are all just people - good, bad, or indifferent.

I have never been seriously concerned about rape, specifically, although I have woken up to hear voices in the night (night hikers) and listened carefully until they passed by. Camping with others allays that fear.

reilly
07-25-2011, 16:33
Hence my concern about a solo hike.

hikerboy57
07-25-2011, 17:01
But if you're going NOBO leaving march/april, you will only be alone if you awant to be. and we do look out for each other.Just use the same good judgement you've always used to keep yourself out of potentially dangerous situations.

10-K
07-25-2011, 17:34
You're more likely to get bitten by a snake than raped. :)

(you may not get that....it's an inside joke, right WM?)

Wuff
07-25-2011, 17:48
When I stayed at the Dutch Haus this year I was speaking with Earl and he indicated that it had been a few years since a reported rape on the trail, which seems to indicate it has happened in the past (often hostel owners are interviewed by police when there is violence reported). But I don't know anymore than that..

hikerboy57

(you may not get that....it's an inside joke, right WM?)10k did you have to go there?:-?snakes dont want to lose their fangs, remember? its the brown recluse spider she needs to fear.

WingedMonkey

That's like saying 4 X 0 is greater than 3 x 0
It's still zero.
:welcome

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 17:59
The sexual assault in Virginia was 2005 and convection was 2008. The creep picked up a 19 y/o female, offered the woman a ride to the post office near Troutville, but instead took her to where he worked and assaulted her.

The woman didn't realize it was a Sunday and the post office would be closed, Botetourt County Sheriff Ronnie Sprinkle said.

As the woman walked along U.S. 11 near the Exit 150 interchange with Interstate 81, a man offered her a ride, she told police. The man then drove her to an industrial plant, where he reportedly worked, and took her into an office building.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/160510

10-K
07-25-2011, 18:02
That's like saying 4 X 0 is greater than 3 x 0
It's still zero.
:welcome

Yeah, that's a good point.

My serious suggestion would be to be more cautious at trailheads and near roads.

grayfox
07-25-2011, 18:16
Keep in mind that rape is a crime of aggression and not a crime of passion. By the time any potential attacker gets up the moutain to your campsite there will be very little 'aggression' left over for other tasks. That being said, do not camp near a road crossing--be in town or be well out on the trail when you stop for the day. Have a good map, a compass and a cell phone(just take it and keep it charged for an emergency and peace of mind for you and your family)and maybe your family will spot you a SPOT.

If you are really worried about personal physical attacks, take a karate class over the winter. Many schools and community groups sponsor self defense classes for women--look for one in your area.

You will find a lot of advice here for ways to stay safe. Don't tell people you are alone or openly discuss your plans where others can overhear. Don't go to bars. Stay alert to your surroundings. Never use up all your energy, camp while you still have the strength to repack and move on if you feel uncomfortable with a late arrival at the shelter--and carry a good head lamp with spare batteries for the time you might want to move on in the dark(spring and fall have short days).

You will no doubt be fine and find a lot of friends and protectors along the trail.

Hope this helps, grayfox--just do not let your fears run your life.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 19:35
I hiked solo for the most part on my southbound journey. You need to be smart about yourself and your surroundings. Use your intuition. Don't tell anyone your hiking plan for the day or where you will be or that you are alone. Don't camp near roads or other populated areas. When crossing roads, try to make sure there is no traffic, esp those dirt roads. But going north you will NOT be alone. Plenty to hang out with. Southbound is another story as you can be alone quite often. If you feel better about it, take a self defense course at the college near you.

singing wind
07-26-2011, 00:48
reilly -
1. Good for you for having a dream to inspire you and follow.
2. +1 to Blissful's post & always trust your gut, even if no one's around or if what you're feeling does or doesn't make any sense at the time. I've been known to move on or even move camp if something didn't feel right.
3. Dealing with fear and facing the unknown can happen anywhere - in the city, on the trail...name a place or anyone, regardless of gender.

Say, all the very best with your hike and getting ready. The trail's truly an amazing place.

p.s. This was included in Sarah Outen's book about her solo row across the Indian Ocean:
"Every great undertaking in life, even the smallest ones, are opportunities for finding within yourself something you didn’t know you had, and these awakenings always come with a price. The discovery comes when all the cheering stops and when the task ahead is greater than the task you left behind. The universe is wide open in front of you ." (p. 193)

Good Luck!

reilly
07-26-2011, 01:34
This post is particularly helpful. Thank you.

JenHikes
07-26-2011, 12:10
I'm a solo woman hiker :) Nice to meet ya! Seriously, you'll be fine. Use your common sense and trust your gut when it comes to accepting a ride to town or staying in a shelter. Anything could happen to you at home or in the woods.

Good luck on your thru hike! I'm starting in late March 2012 as well.

Ladytrekker
07-26-2011, 12:20
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7553
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8499

Two of my favorite trailjournals above both single women hiking alone met became life long friends and tell about their solo journeys on the trail. The info in their journals is quite good. Good Luck.

WILLIAM HAYES
07-27-2011, 00:08
go for it you will not be alone on the trail that time of the year lots of hikers dont stay near road crossings thats just been my rule over the years and trust your feelings -move on if someone makes you uncomfortable -I have hiked the AT for many years and have always felt safe hikers look out for hikers good luck

Spirit Walker
07-27-2011, 12:48
I thruhiked the AT twice as a solo female. I would do so again, if I could. The second hike I ended up partnering up with someone that I met in Virginia, but the first time I stayed independent the whole way. As others have said, on the whole the trail is generally safe.

That said, bad things do happen, even there. There have been rapes, robberies, assaults and even murders. It's not Eden. Women sometimes complain of being stalked by other hikers. Best advice is to pay attention to your instincts. If you meet someone who feels wrong, move on. Don't accept a ride from someone that makes you uncomfortable. Never stay in a shelter with someone who makes you nervous. One story I heard years ago was a woman who didn't want to leave the shelter because it was raining and she didn't have a tent. Bad choice. Another woman left the shelter because someone made her uncomfortable, but only moved a short distance away and camped next to the trail. Again, bad choice. If another hiker is acting too interested and won't take no for an answer, take a few days off or jump ahead 100 miles.

If you are hiking during the usual thruhiker season, you will have to work to be alone. There are a lot of other hikers out there, especially in the south. If you want to partner up with someone, or form a loose 'family' it's easily done. What happens is you run into the same people over and over who are going the same pace as you are. As you chat at shelters and hostels, you discover people who are compatible. You camp together and form bonds. Some people become real partners who make plans together, other times you just meet up frequently but don't consider yourselves mutually responsible. The choice is yours. If you feel nervous, you can often make plans to go to town from the trail with other hikers, so you won't have to deal with hitchhiking alone.

EllieMP
07-27-2011, 13:23
Hello.. I'm new here and found the site as I was browsing.. I am seriously planning to hike the trail myself. It will take a couple of years to prepare to be able to make it a thru-hike. From all the books.. blogs and chats that I have been reading, I don't feel any threat of going it alone.. No more than living here in a city.. ha. Good luck in your adventure!

Feral Nature
07-27-2011, 14:49
Hello Ellie, I am fairly new here too.

I am in the early stages of planning a NOBO AT thruhike and have only told one person, my sister. I know that most people (everyone else) will be horrified by the whole idea of this and I don't want their negative energy around me til the last minute and then it will be too late. I am a grown old woman and I can do anything I want. I am have so many things on my bucket list and there is no more time to waste. I have wasted too many days already. It's time to fly now before my wings fail me.

However, I also have fears about hiking solo. I am considering getting a 2 person tent just so at night I would look and feel less vulnerable.

Fog Horn
07-27-2011, 15:36

made me chuckle ;)

Feral Nature
07-27-2011, 15:50
I live in the land o'snakes and I have never been bitten. But I have a fear of humans.

Trailweaver
07-28-2011, 00:09
A self defense course is useful for any time of your life, whether you plan to hike the trail or not. It is true that you will be safer on the trail than you will be going to the mall parking lot. . . if you think about it, criminals are generally lazy - none of them are willing to hike 5-10 miles into the woods on the off chance of finding a woman alone to take advantage of. Stay away from the busy roads (never, ever camp near one) and you'll be plenty safe.

I've spent more nights in shelters with men than women, and have never felt any uneasiness about it. I did feel uneasy once when I camped close to a FSR crossing (didn't know it was that closeby) and a group of guys came in after dark and drank beer and partied all night at a campsite below me next to the road. I just stayed very quietly in my tent, in the dark until I heard them pack up and leave the next morning. Ever since then I've made it my business to know where those road crossings were.

reilly
07-28-2011, 01:42
Is hitchhiking to town pretty much a requirement for a thru-hike?

seabrookhiker
07-28-2011, 09:34
You might be able to work out rides ahead of time with shuttlers. I carried a list of them with me on my hike. That ties you to a schedule, and costs money, but is pretty safe.

You can find a list of shuttlers here: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%206-7-11.pdf

That said, I hitchhiked. And usually by myself, since there were almost never other hikers around when I needed to get into town.

reilly
07-28-2011, 14:19
What if any concerns/benefits do people think comes with different ages?

(I'll be 29.)

Slo-go'en
07-28-2011, 21:27
What if any concerns/benefits do people think comes with different ages?

(I'll be 29.)

Your a little too old for the young guys and a little too young for the old guys.
:cool:
Seriously, if your in good shape and good health, your likely at the peak of your game. Or could be with a little work.

Sir-Packs-Alot
07-28-2011, 23:46
The trail IS truly a wonderful place ! With the large area it's footpath covers and the small number of crimes that have occured over it's long history - not even the smallest midwestern town could boast of such a low crime rate ! With that said though (as everywhere in the world) PEOPLE are the most dangerous animals. If you are hiking with the trail community during peak thru-hiker season - odds will be better that you won't find yourself in an odd or uncomfortable situation. FOlks look out for each other - and when there are more folks ... you see where I'm going. Ditto that - the odd stuff that has happened to me with locals is when I have camped too near to a road crossing. My best advice (don't get paranoid - use this advice with reason and moderation) - you should be hiking solo with your best lie in hand. You are "hiking just ahead of the other folks in your party that got started later" or "catching up to some folks that are having a long lunch waiting for you"...etc. You never want anybody to know ALL the specifics of your itinerary - even if you just act more vague...

WolfSoul
07-29-2011, 00:26
What if you want to hike completely alone without interracting with anyone else at all? Is that possible? It sounds like the trail is really crowded which will defeat my purpose of going solo. Hmmmm

Slo-go'en
07-29-2011, 10:08
What if you want to hike completely alone without interracting with anyone else at all? Is that possible? It sounds like the trail is really crowded which will defeat my purpose of going solo. Hmmmm

That could be a little difficult to do if you start during the peak season of mid March to mid April, but not impossible. It will of course, be impossible to completely avoid seeing people, but how much you interact with them is entirely up to you.

Everyone hikes at a different pace and leaves a shelter at different times, so during the day you can pretty much hike alone. Most of the social interaction on the trail occurs at shelters where people gather for the night. So, if you go off and tent all the time, even if it's near shelters, you can get away with just saying HI, with out anyone thinking your too weird or anti-social. If your a fast hiker, that makes it even less likely to make any relationships. Getting up and out early, then making camp late also minimizes your social interactions.

OTOH, go a week or two without interacting with anyone and you'll be talking the ear off of the first person you see who is willing to stay and listen for more than a couple of minutes!

bigcranky
07-29-2011, 13:38
The trail can seem crowded if you start at Springer in March or April. The upside is that you'll have other hikers who are going through the same thing, and you can support each other at the beginning. (Don't discount the value in this.)

If you simply must hike the A.T. and want to avoid crowds, you could do a Southbound hike starting in early June, or do a winter hike, starting at Springer on January 1 (bring a warm bag.)

If being alone is more important than the trail, take a look at the Continental Divide Trail. Though for that one you probably want to have some significant long distance hiking experience first. Something like, say, thru-hiking the A.T.

reilly
07-30-2011, 18:44
Your a little too old for the young guys and a little too young for the old guys.
:cool:
Seriously, if your in good shape and good health, your likely at the peak of your game. Or could be with a little work.

Gee, thanks.
Just like in regular life.
haha

Margaret L
08-21-2011, 17:36
. I am seriously planning to hike the trail myself. It will take a couple of years to prepare to be able to make it a thru-hike.

Hi all, I'm in the same place as EllieMP -- starting to plan a thru-hike for a couple of years from now. As a (ahem) mature woman, I'm more afraid of being invisible to all the young people on the trial than I am of being targeted.

MuddyWaters
08-21-2011, 19:39
I think you have good advice here. You cannot let fear of unknowns dictate your life. City people carry pepper spray for that reason to make themselves feel more secure, It makes a difference because they BELIEVE it does, it gives them the confidence to walk their car after working late, etc. That is all that matters really. On the trail, that can server double duty for bear deterrent as well.

Also remember, you will probably smell so bad half the time, no one would want to get that close to you anyway.

Nutbrown
08-21-2011, 21:43
Hi all, I'm in the same place as EllieMP -- starting to plan a thru-hike for a couple of years from now. As a (ahem) mature woman, I'm more afraid of being invisible to all the young people on the trial than I am of being targeted.

Don't worry about being invisible. The trail is one of those few places that everyone gets equal respect, at least that has been my experience.

lauralooper
08-23-2011, 12:48
If I were you, I would try to find someone (like a parter) to start out with maybe, and just to meet up with at night so you won't have to sleep in the woods by yourself. I am looking for a partner to start with in March if you would be interested. I really love the idea of being alone all day, and that's fine with me. I'm just really scared about having to sleep alone every night and I'm thinking that's maybe why I need a parter. Not everyone has the same hiking pace either so that would mean we wouldn't be together during the day but we would have someone to be with just at night. Inbox me if you are interested! :)

jlo
08-27-2011, 14:31
I just got back from 2 months of hiking the AT and can share some practical things I learned. I actually started with another girl, basically because EVERY one of my friends and family members insisted that I not go it alone. She wasn't a close friend, nor was she as prepared for the hike as I was, so after 4 weeks we amicably parted ways where I kept going and she went home.
So the last 5 weeks, I was alone in the woods. (but I didn't tell anyone I did it alone until after I got back home safe and sound :)

Some advice:
-Always let someone back home know where you are and where you plan on being. For example, I'd call my dad and say "I'm in Front Royal and I plan on reaching Harper's Ferry by Tuesday or Wednesday". This way, if he didn't hear from my by Thursday, he knew something would be wrong and could start getting help.

-Bring a cell phone. I only had reception in larger towns and on the tops of mountains, but it was great to keep in touch with folks back home.

-Get a calling card. Several smaller towns I was in didn't have cell reception, but did have pay phones, so the calling card was great. And I would just call them and ask them to call me back at the payphone so I wouldn't use up my minutes.

-I was much more leary of people in town/motels than people in the woods. Other hikers are in the same boat as you are and have no intention of doing you wrong. They are quite friendly and helpful for the most part :)

-I did get pretty lonely sometimes. I didn't have an MP3 player or anything, so I needed to talk to myself while walking and it's OK :)

-Don't be afraid to hitchhike either. But if you get a bad vibe, don't ride with them. You don't need to be polite and ride with them just because they stopped for you. If the people in the car freak you out, don't get in. Saying that: I never felt that creep vibe from anyone who picked me up, nor did I have any problems. As a matter of fact, I've picked up hitchhikers since, just to "give back" and it's been a good experience.

-I liked to wash off and change into PJ's every night and except for one night, I was the only woman in the shelters. So I'd just mention that I was going to wash up or change and then usually change by the privy so I wouldn't be seen and no one ever bothered me.

I did get pretty scared a few times, but it was usually my imagination getting the best of me. Like still hiking at dusk and I hadn't seen another person all day. But bears run away when you make noise and bad guys are too lazy to hike that far into the woods to get you.

Hope that helps!

stonedflea
08-28-2011, 20:13
The sexual assault in Virginia was 2005 and convection was 2008. The creep picked up a 19 y/o female, offered the woman a ride to the post office near Troutville, but instead took her to where he worked and assaulted her. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/160510not to say it was her fault, but be more aware!! i know it's easy to lose track of the days out here, but common sense should have saved her on that one, what with it being sunday and all...
I'll just spit out the uncomfortable, possibly irrational, fear: Rape.Anyone ever hear of this happening on the trail?Or has anyone else been concerned with this?(Also, thanks everyone for so many great replies! And so quickly!!)i started april 19th and made friends quickly. as a matter of fact, there was a creepy guy at the fontana hilton when we all stayed there, and one of my friends told me, "don't you worry, LOL... you've got four marines lookin' after you."
Is hitchhiking to town pretty much a requirement for a thru-hike?i'm religious, i believe in God, and i pray. that being said, i feel God knows how i feel about hitchhiking, and i have been extremely blessed in that i've made it 1,500 miles without sticking my thumb out. that's not to say i haven't ridden with strangers... a few fellow hikers have shared their hitches with me and picked me up, a stranger let me use their cell phone to call the hostel for a ride (they were going the opposite direction of town), etc. i've just been very lucky. this streak may end soon, but it's been ok for four months...
What if you want to hike completely alone without interracting with anyone else at all? Is that possible? It sounds like the trail is really crowded which will defeat my purpose of going solo. Hmmmmbe a southbounder :)
If I were you, I would try to find someone (like a parter) to start out with maybe, and just to meet up with at night so you won't have to sleep in the woods by yourself.not a good idea, imho. if you want to hike 15 miles that day and your friend only wants to hike 10, you're both screwed at the end of the day because you're both too scared to sleep at night. be confident by yourself. don't depend on someone else for your sense of security.i have slept by myself MAYBE six times in four months, and four of those six were because i chose to hike on and tent by myself. other nights, it may have just been me and one other person, but that's companionship, right? as others have said, you're safer on the trail than you are in a town, and even guys are asked if they're gonna carry a gun. if you have any questions, you can inbox me. oh, and since you mentioned age, i'm 26.

LBR9
08-29-2011, 16:46
Also considering a solo thru-hike in 2012, and hoping to connect with others before I start out. Reading this thread has been helpful. Thanks for all of the info!

mtndo
08-29-2011, 17:53
The Gun thing always gets me ... I am a Gun owner and I feel safer when they are unloaded and locked up than when im holding one.

RITBlake
08-29-2011, 22:26
The most dangerous aspect of thru hiking is the car ride to the trailhead and hitch hiking.

drifters quest
08-29-2011, 23:38
Go for it! I did my thru last year and I started solo (with my dog). You won't be alone for long and will find yourself surrounded by a great community very quickly. I wouldn't say having a dog made me safer, if anything it gave creeps an excuse to talk to me, but most of those creeps were in the cities I visited along the way.

reilly
08-30-2011, 01:26
Also remember, you will probably smell so bad half the time, no one would want to get that close to you anyway.

Hahaha. Good point.

HockeyGirl
08-30-2011, 09:56
Really glad to see I'm not the only one who is going to be starting and has a couple 'fears' of being alone or jumping into the unknown.
I plan to start late March, somewhere 18-20th and would really like to at least know one or two people before I go.
If there is anyone leaving around those dates and is happy to chat, please PM me. Thanks :-)

ltrainismyname
09-07-2011, 23:01
Hi there Ms. Adventure!

I agree with the solo hiking thing completely. The pace is always set by the slowest hiker so if there's any deviation, the faster hiker has to compensate by going slower or carrying more and either of those things could cause them to have contempt for their slower partner. Starting solo, you'll find that you begin to meet a lot of other hikers and it may happen that some of them walk a similar pace (and if you're lucky, you'll be friends, too!) There is a lot of support in the community that walks north at 2.5mph.

I started alone and friends came and went. I got off the trail from Harper's Ferry for 1.5 weeks to be my sister's maid of honor and it didn't affect anyone else's trail experience (and I caught up with a group of old friends in MA!)

An aging hippie woman picked me up hitching into town in New England and she asked how I got that far without being a victim. I guess we both concluded that I wasn't a victim! Don't be stupid, though. If some drooling cross-eyed yokel in Virginia wants to know where your husband is, tell 'im he's comin' 'round the bend. He had to talk to a man about a horse.

ltrainismyname
09-08-2011, 01:01
I will say that I was rather nervous the first two nights. When I made it to Neel's Gap on the third afternoon, I couldn't have timed it better. They were having a season-opener celebration of some kind. (Total dumb luck!) I didn't plan it that way but if I was hiking NOBO again, I would ask them when their CATERED KEG PARTY was going to be. It really helps you get to know some of the nearby hikers in a safe social environment. (For the record, it was March 7th, 2009) I met some very important lifelong friends that night.