PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Springer

Chatter98
07-25-2011, 15:32
I have not set foot on the AT in quite a while, but I remember that at one point camping on Springer Mtn was prohibited due to over use. Does anybody know if this is still the case? I am looking to go this weekend and will be arriving probably as it gets dark from the USFS road(42 I think).
Chatter

HiKen2011
07-25-2011, 16:59
I have not set foot on the AT in quite a while, but I remember that at one point camping on Springer Mtn was prohibited due to over use. Does anybody know if this is still the case? I am looking to go this weekend and will be arriving probably as it gets dark from the USFS road(42 I think).
Chatter

Shelter there and lots of tent spaces

Storm
07-25-2011, 17:17
I was there this spring and there is a sign at the summit asking that you not camp there. It said because of high bear activity though. I think the shelter and tent sights mentioned in the previous post are about ten minutes from the summit. I didn't see anything that said camping was not allowed at the summit though.

Chatter98
07-25-2011, 18:20
Thanks, will be getting there close to dark and night hiking it up to the top, did not want to wake anyone in the shelter, but probably a good idea to stay around shelter any ways. Might still make my way to top at night as it is awesome view from the rock where plaque sits. I love to get a good morning start and hate to waste a day of hiking by starting with a drive.
Should be fun.
Aaron

Red Hat
07-25-2011, 18:21
no camping on the summit, but usually lots of room at the shelter just north... however, maybe not this weekend as folks line up to see Odyssa finish...

WMR
07-25-2011, 18:24
If you're going weekend of July 30-Aug. 1, expect quite a crowd, gathering to welcome Jen Pharr Davis as she finishes up late Sunday or Monday.

Chatter98
07-25-2011, 18:30
Going to sound ignorant, but who?

Chatter98
07-25-2011, 18:38
Looked it up, cool. Not much into speed hiking, but should be interesting to see if she finishes.

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 19:14
no camping on the summit, but usually lots of room at the shelter just north... however, maybe not this weekend as folks line up to see Odyssa finish...
I'm sure they wouldn't be so rude as to take up all the shelter or camping space.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 19:42
If you're going weekend of July 30-Aug. 1, expect quite a crowd, gathering to welcome Jen Pharr Davis as she finishes up late Sunday or Monday.

Is it good to broadcast this? I believe they have kept their journey whereabouts fairly low profile as it should be.

Skidsteer
07-25-2011, 20:21
Is it good to broadcast this? I believe they have kept their journey whereabouts fairly low profile as it should be.

It's not hard to figure out at this point and there will probably be twenty or thirty well wishers at a guess.

WingedMonkey
07-25-2011, 20:27
It's no secret, from the web site:

Rendezvous: A number of people have asked about coming out to see Jen on the trail. As much as we want to accommodate everyone, we really need to stay focused on the task at hand. So if you want to see Jen when she will no longer be a “moving target,” we suggest you come down to southern terminus of the AT, which is Springer Mountain near Helen, Georgia. There’s absolutely no way to predict exactly when Jen will finish, but we know some of you will have to plan ahead to be there, so we’re going to give you our best guess. In an ideal world, Jen would be finishing up Sunday night, July 31st or Monday morning, August 1st. If that changes, we’ll let you know. As always, thanks for the encouragement, and all the positive thoughts and prayers!