PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Weather?

Stormin' Norman
07-25-2011, 17:25
Hey guys, first post here. I'm gonna be hiking for about a week on the AT in Virginia towards the end of August/ early september. I plan to sleep in a hammock the whole way. I've got two questions...

First, what can I expect temperature wise at night? I'm trying to figure out my hammock setup.

Second, will I have a bug issue at night? I'm planning to soak my hammock in permethrin, and would prefer not to take a bug net. Any input is welcome.

I guess I'll be between 1000 and 5000 feet the whole time. Thanks

johnnybgood
07-25-2011, 17:57
Pertaining to your first question ; the temps can vary greatly on the elevation as you might expect.
Being that your hammock camping do bring a bottom insulation , i.e. a thermarest pad or lightweight underquilt along with a summer bag.

The bugs will be out there during the day so brind DEET and/or permethrin.
Any variance in weather can either stifle their presence or make them truely a nuisance.

That's just my opinion , not that means anything .
:sunIt's hot as Hades here in Virginia right now.

What section are you hiking if you don't mind me asking ?

Stormin' Norman
07-25-2011, 18:07
Yea i live in Alabama, so I know all about the current heat. :sun

I'm not entirely sure about the section. I'm going with some other people and am along for the ride. I think the George Washington and Thomas Jefferson Nat forests and the Shenandoah Nat. Park.

I was trying to avoid the Thermarest pad, but i guess its a good idea for bottom insulation or in case I decide to stick to a shelter for a night. I've got a silk liner and a 15 degree bag. I'm thinking I'll leave the liner at home, and just take the down bag.

What will I be looking forward to at night? 50's, 60's... :(40's??????

johnnybgood
07-25-2011, 18:21
What will I be looking forward to at night? 50's, 60's... :(40's??????

It's mid 60's at night in Shenandoah Nat'l Park so it's not inconcievable to think you might see (feel) some upper 40 readings at night .

My best guess for now is a real good chance at night time lows in the 50's by the first week of September .

Stormin' Norman
07-25-2011, 18:55
It's mid 60's at night in Shenandoah Nat'l Park so it's not inconcievable to think you might see (feel) some upper 40 readings at night .

My best guess for now is a real good chance at night time lows in the 50's by the first week of September .
Great that's exactly what I want to hear. Thanks for the input.

vamelungeon
07-25-2011, 19:31
It's been in the 70's at night here in far SWVA and we had severe flash flooding today in Wise County, two counties west from the AT. My altitude is about 2000 feet. It's been very hot here, at least for us, and the humidity has been very high. I understand this is expected to moderate somewhat in the next few days.

Blissful
07-25-2011, 19:36
Summer stays summer here in VA until October. Hot and humid for the most part. It would be highly unusual IMO to have mid forty readings in SNP late August, early Sept.
Also, we tend to get tropical storms then, so keep an eye out.

I'm gimpy
07-25-2011, 19:54
Summer stays summer here in VA until October. Hot and humid for the most part. It would be highly unusual IMO to have mid forty readings in SNP late August, early Sept.
Also, we tend to get tropical storms then, so keep an eye out.

I agree. But later in Sept. it can get in the low 40's, ever lower first week in Oct. But Aug will be hot days and warm nights. Sept will havehot days at first then near perfect days toward the mid month with cool (usually). No one can predict the weather here. If you don't like the weather in VA just wait 10 mins. lol.

Stormin' Norman
07-27-2011, 13:22
The climate of Virginia, a state on the east coast of the United States, is considered mild compared to other areas of the United States. Most of Virginia east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, plus the southern part of the Shenandoah Valley, has a humid subtropical climate (Koppen climate classification Cfa). In the mountainous areas west of the Blue Ridge, the climate becomes humid continental (Koppen Dfa) and maritime temperate (Koppen Cfb) Severe weather, in the form of tornadoes, tropical cyclones, and winter storms impact the state on a regular basis.

Thank you wikipedia for that wealth of information.

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 13:25
Thank you wikipedia for that wealth of information.

It's SPAM, all of his posts are

Stormin' Norman
07-27-2011, 14:23
It's SPAM, all of his posts are

Yea I looked at them after I already posted.

mefishn
07-27-2011, 15:28
7/24 - 26. Just came off some blue blaze (Rocky Top and Big Run) and AT near Loft MT. Both nights is was still 77 degrees at 8PM and cooled off to 68 +/- around 2 AM. Also depends if a thunderstorm passes thru. I used a bag liner and a cotton sheet and kept kicking it off and pulling it up during the night. Humidity is the biggest issue.

ScottP
07-28-2011, 10:16
usually hot and dry, even at night
often rainy
sometimes chilly (mid 50s) when it rains at high elevations--day or night
bugs are mostly gone--if you have a problem you picked a dumb campsite