PDA

View Full Version : Awkward moment with slick breathable new shells

Wise Old Owl
07-25-2011, 22:45
No not Gortex - the shell with the white lining... as a baseball cap, went out into the woods during the rainstorm and felt dry, only to return and discover more water inside the hat than out! Although comfortable the EMS shell hat was full of water.

I am not sure what to say?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3651575&cp=4294077.11159061

Camp Cap features moisture-wicking, quick-drying fabric for hiking, paddling, and travel. Features/Benefits:

Made from water-resistant 100% Supplex nylon and 100% polyester
Quick-drying, lightweight nylon with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
Soft, nonbulky 100% polyester mesh sweatband is antimicrobial and wicks moisture
Stiff precurved visor
Nylon adjustment webbing strap in back

Franco
07-26-2011, 05:27
I always understood water resistant to mean OK in a light shower but definitely not good in a rainstorm.
Anyway that is how my water resistant stuff works. Pertex Quantum for example.
But maybe it is just me...
Franco

Rain Man
07-26-2011, 09:45
Yeah, that cap even has holes in it with stitching around them, so obviously it's not water proof at all, nor intended to be. Though I have to say, my waterproof caps cause my head to sweat so much, they are often as wet inside, or more so, than outside. I just don't bother with waterproof headgear for the most part. A regular cap under a waterproof jacket hood works best for me in downpours. And if it's not a downpour, then a little warm rainwater just washes and cools my head for me anyway.

Rain Man

Tipi Walter
07-26-2011, 09:54
I won't get a "backpacking" cap unless it has a soft bill as then I can stuff it in my short's pocket when needed. It's not so easy finding these kind of hats---I think Patagonia and Mt Hardwear make them. Any suggestions or links??

Rocketman
07-26-2011, 10:32
I agree - water Resistant isn't Water Proof.

Even at fabric stores, it is common for sales people to not know the difference.

Generally, it is still true that waterproof materials have some form of a non-fabric coating such as coated PU or sil/nylon or GoreTex.

Historically, there has been sold a tightly woven fine cotton cloth that is said to be waterproof by virtue of the weave tightness and the swelling of the wet cotton fibers to close off water entry voids. I have never seen or used this cotton fabric.

You can ask the retailer to take back the sale because you misunderstood the language in the description, but I can see no reason that you are actually due a refund because of anything that the retailer did.

Some lessons are necessarily learned by making mistakes and paying the consequences.

bobqzzi
07-26-2011, 10:49
WOO- are you saying there was litrally water trapped between the outer and inner parts of the hat?

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2011, 23:46
I won't get a "backpacking" cap unless it has a soft bill as then I can stuff it in my short's pocket when needed. It's not so easy finding these kind of hats---I think Patagonia and Mt Hardwear make them. Any suggestions or links??

Tipi - I have one its a Royal Robbins fantastic bill cap...well made and breathes... made from "better stuff"

Wise Old Owl
07-26-2011, 23:48
WOO- are you saying there was litrally water trapped between the outer and inner parts of the hat?

No you remove the cap and your head is warm but soaking it traps the evaporation of your head in the worst place - your hair!

double d
07-28-2011, 01:31
A military type of "boonie" hat works great-its lightweight, flexable and fits well. For those with military experience, maybe they can speak more on it, but I hike with one all the time.

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2011, 00:13
double d the military caps are heavier from the cotton duck and are without question better than a membrane

Kerosene
08-10-2011, 14:03
I have an old lightweight ballistic nylon Mountain Hardwear ballcap with a plastic brim that works great, especially in keeping rain off my eyeglasses.

As Franco notes, water repellent will only bead up light rainfall for maybe an hour before it eventually soaks through. However, that may be fine for a hat that worn under a rainhood, or windpants where you mostly want to keep out very cold water below your knees.