PDA

View Full Version : If you had $1000 to buy gear....

Dyslexic Dancer
07-26-2011, 01:18
If you had $1000 to buy gear for a 2012 AT NOBO thru-hike what gear would you recommend?

Sly
07-26-2011, 02:19
I'd get a ULA pack, a Six Moons Design shelter and 30* Montbell down sleeping bag (look for a sale), those combined should be about 5lbs. You should have plenty left over to get the rest of what you need.

Rocket Jones
07-26-2011, 06:41
First thing: shoes that fit!!!

Water purification: AquaMira
Stove: Snowpeak Gigapower (if cooking), make a SuperCat (if doing Freezer Bag)
Pot: KMart Greasepot (if cooking), GSI Kettle (if doing Freezer Bag)
Spoon: Sea to Summit long-handled aluminum
Cozy: make your own or see TrailCooking.com if doing Freezer Bag
Buff
Military surplus wool glove inserts
long underwear from the TheUnderwearGuys.com
a couple of gatoraid bottles and a collapsable 2 liter platypus
Pacer Poles

Trailbender
07-26-2011, 08:49
You could probably get all your gear for under that, besides a sleeping bag. I sleep cold, personally, so I never carry anything besides my 0 degree bag I modified into a quilt. It will take me down to about 10 or so, and weighs about 2.5 lb.

soulrebel
07-26-2011, 09:41
If you go with ULA, montbell, and six moon recommendations that leaves you with $150 to buy all your clothes, cook kit, and sleeping pad...doesn't really cover the costs. I'd spend less on those pieces and more on clothing.

Personally, I'd go with a sil-nylon tarp for less than $80, Foam pad $20, minimalist pack for less than $150, al cook pot $15, marmot/wm/montbell sleeping bag used for under $180. Down/synthetic jacket $150 or less, rain gear/wind gear $80, longjohns ($80), short-tshirt ($50). difft color ditty bags ($5-$10ea) and you need 3-4 large ones and 3-4 smaller ones. You can use ziploc bags if you don't want to spend on them...

there's always more or less...I outfitted my friend for hiking for under $200...

Blissful
07-26-2011, 09:50
Footwear and insoles (enough of them), sleeping bag, and pack are the most important items to spend $$ on, imo. Then for me is a good tent.

stars in her eyes
07-26-2011, 10:41
ULA pack, GoLite Tumalo Pertex Jacket, Cuben Fiber tarp from ZPacks (along with some CF stuff sacks). I already own my hammock setup, but an ultralight tarp would help me shave a bunch of ounces.

Trailbender
07-26-2011, 13:20
Hmm, I don't use any ditty bags. I have a ziploc with toilet paper, and a large dry sack with my sleeping bag and camp/colder weather clothes. A food bag is the only other sack I have.

Sassafras Lass
07-26-2011, 14:10
Go-Lite Shangri-La 1
Figure 1 lb, 10 oz. w/ stakes
$140

Marmot Arroyo OR GoLite Adrenaline 20
1 lb, 14 oz max
$230

ZPacks Blast 32
8 oz.
$195

Big 3:
$565
4 lbs

Not too shabby! And much better if you can source everything secondhand.

1 shorts
1 shirt
1 thermal bottom
1 thermal top
1 insulation top
1 rain/wind top
1 rain/wind bottom
2-3 pair socks
shoes
gloves
hat
balaclava
(undies optional)
(No cotton, I prefer wool over synthetics, as they dry extremely well and don't retain odors as badly - at least to my nose)

stove
fuel
pot
utensil
lighter/firesteel
bladder
extra water bottle
water treatment

first aid
toiletries

camera
notebook + pen
guide book
headlamp

For the above, see what you already have at your disposal. Knowing what I know now, I would have made more of an effort to buy things secondhand and go for material/quality/weight over popularity/brand.

Red Hat
07-26-2011, 16:05
I'd look for the best buy on a down Western Mountaineering bag (warmth sleeping is important). Then I'd get a ULA pack and a Lightheart tent. Spend your money on starting out light on your big three.

Red Hat
07-26-2011, 16:08
I'd look for the best buy on a down Western Mountaineering bag (warmth sleeping is important). Then I'd get a ULA pack and a Lightheart tent. Spend your money on starting out light on your big three.

Dancer, where in TX are you? PM me and maybe I can help you figure gear out.

Dyslexic Dancer
07-26-2011, 17:05
I really appreciate the suggestions.

Seems most people like ULA, which packs should I be looking at, The Epic? Circuit ?.

Most of my current gear is Military stuff (I'm a former Army 11B) and I'd really like to lighten my setup. UL really seems like the way to go.

How important is a tent/hammock for the AT, I have read many blogs where people say they never used their tent/hammock because of all the shelters constructed along the AT? I guess it would be better to have one then not, just wondering how much use it would get?

Dancer, where in TX are you? PM me and maybe I can help you figure gear out.

A little north of Dallas

Sly
07-26-2011, 17:12
If you go with ULA, montbell, and six moon recommendations that leaves you with $150 to buy all your clothes, cook kit, and sleeping pad...doesn't really cover the costs. I'd spend less on those pieces and more on clothing.

$200 for a ULA Circuit
$125 for a SMD Shelter
$200 for a Montbell bag (on sale)

What's else do you need? A sleeping pad, a alcohol stove, pot, some clothes and some sneakers.

House of Payne
07-26-2011, 17:15
ULA pack
Western mountaineering bag
heart light tent

bigcranky
07-26-2011, 20:58
$1000 for a thru-hiker’s gear. This should work fine for an early April start. If you want to start in late February you’d need a warmer bag and clothing (and more $$$):

Pack: ULA Circuit, $200. Might as well get a good pack that fits.
Trash bag for pack liner, take from your garage, $0
Tent: Tarptent Contrail, $200 (or the Moment for $215)
Bag: Campmor 20F down mummy, $130
Pad: Ridgerest, $30
Ground sheet: cut open trash bag, also from your garage, $0

Kitchen: Kmart grease pot, homemade alcohol stove, cozy, soda bottle for fuel, $20 or so
Lexan spoon, $1
Water treatment: Aqua Mira drops, $15
Water bottles: (2) 1-liter Aqua Fina bottles, $3
Platy 4-liter bag for collecting and treating water, $20 (splurge)
Large silnylon rolltop bag for food, $10 at Walmart
50 feet of parachute cord for bear bag, $5 at Walmart

Shoes: good fitting mesh trail runners, on sale someplace, $70
Smartwool socks from Sierra Trading Post, 3 pairs, $30

Synthetic hiking clothes from Target: s/s and l/s tops, running shorts, $50 total
Synthetic long john bottoms from STP, $15
Nylon zipoff pants, $25 on sale at STP
Midweight fleece pullover as warm layer, you probably already have one but it’ll cost $25 on sale from STP
Fleece hat and gloves from STP, $25 total
Driducks or similar rain suit, $40
Crocs or similar for camp shoes, $10 at Target

Headlamp, splurge on a Black Diamond Spot, on sale for $30 at REI

Little stuff you already have: first aid items, duct tape, small pad and pen for a journal, Purell, toothbrush and paste, toilet paper, sunscreen, a whistle.

Total is around $950. It’s not super high end gear, but it’s all functional, and I’ve used most of it.

Ways to save some money: the pack and tent are often available used either here on Whiteblaze or on backpackinglight.com. Sierra Trading Post, Campor, and Backcountry.com - among others - carry a wide range of gear and clothing at clearance prices. If you know what you want, or at least what category, you can find some good bargains.

lemon b
07-26-2011, 21:16
First good comfortable socks and boots 250.00 Ater my feet I'm thinking warmth and weather. So I'd spring for a pack cover 25.00 Next a 20 degree synthetic like a Cats Meow 125.00, A Gore Tex Shell, Polarguard or similar long & short sleeve shirts 40 bucks, a fleece jacket and hat 40.00 Water shorts commando, A whisperlite for fuel flexability, medium fuel container, cook pot, MRE spoon, Bet I get the 3 for 125.00. Any pack that felt good and fit my gear. 100.00 A WalMart Sleep Pad, Maybe a backcountry 1 type tent or two good ponchos 100.00, plastic coffee cup, and a vile for bleach if I couldn't get a pump filter. From another 11Bush. Shelters are frequent, but sometimes full.

I'm gimpy
07-26-2011, 21:34
Hotel rooms, beer, snickers bars, maybe a new sleeping bag, double bacon cheeseburgers, postcards, more snickers!

SGT Rock
07-26-2011, 21:45
Good sleeping bag, good jacket, ULA pack, Cuben tarp. Make most of the other stuff myself, probably make the tarp.

Save as much for on the trail as possible.

MuddyWaters
07-30-2011, 20:40
Make a list of the gear you need and prices and weights.

You will find you blow thru that $1000 quickly if you buy high end, lightweight stuff new.

If you have "only" $1000, you need to budget. You cant decide how much $$ to spend on what until you make a list of everything you dont have that you need. Decide what weight items you are willing to accept, and the cost.

raingear
shoes
socks
hat
clothing
baselayer
insulation layer
knit cap or balaclava
gloves/waterproof covers
pack
liner/cover
sleeping pad
pillow
groundcloth
tent/tarp/bivy
sleeping bag/quilt
first aid
water treatment
cooking pot
utensil
stove
fuel/fuel container(s)
lighter/matches
bug spray
blister kit
sewing repair kit
bandanas
bear spray?
bear bag/rope
camera
journal
knife
headlamp(s)/batteries
stuff sacks/ziplocks
drybag for sleeping bag

For a thru, you will probably want 2 bags, its gets down to teens in Ga in March/april. Many start out with a cold weather bag and switch to summer weight when weather warms. $$$ If you want to lug a heavy bag all the way, make sure it has a full zipper to unzip and use as a quilt in warm weather.

Shoes and socks are uber important. And you will go thru several pair. You could easily spend $500 on several pair shoes alone during the hike.

Of course, you CAN do it for much less too. Only you can decide on what YOU need to spend money on , and how much to spend.

For outfitting with high end , lightweight stuff, you will need WAY more than $1000
If you carry durable, cheap gear gotten from thrift shops, you can do it for WAY less, but it will be much heavier and reduce your pace and enjoyment.

Country Roads
07-30-2011, 21:26
Spend the most on a good, lightweight sleeping bag; You can dirtbag the rest of the gear, by making your own stuff, hitting Ebay, the discount retailers, folks selling stuff on this site and others.

swash
07-31-2011, 14:31
I would personally first buy a really nice ultralight down bag (western mountaineering or montbell), give in and buy a neo-air, and then spend the rest on some nice clothing (that is of course assuming you already have a light weight backpack, kitchen, etc.). You can easily live comfortably with cheap synthetic clothing from walmart or target, but the comfort and feeling of merino clothing and nice socks, jackets, etc. is well worth the price. Good clothing, to me, is what makes me feel most at home when on the trail.

BradMT
07-31-2011, 21:55
The essentials:

Western Mountaineering Megalite.
Neoair
Osprey Aether 70 (swap out belt for argon/crescent belt)
Jetboil Sol Ti
Tarptent Rainbow

Drewby25
07-31-2011, 22:39
Golite Jam2 Backpack- 1lb 10oz stock- $125
Golite Ultralight 3-Season quilt 1lb 8oz- $275
Six Moons Design Wild Oasis 13oz- $175 from site, you can find them much cheaper used
Thermarest Prolite 4- 11oz- $80

Thats 4lbs 10oz for your big items. You can definitely find these items a lot cheaper and can do things for them to be lightened.

For smaller things:

Aquamira for purification
Alcohol Stove for cooking
Trail Runners for shoes
and a good set of Hiking Poles

garlic08
07-31-2011, 23:19
I packed pretty much like Big Cranky (post 15) and my entire AT kit cost $850. I had lots of time to shop deals and found some good ones. My pack list, with weights and costs, is attached.

Brewerbob
08-01-2011, 11:09
I packed pretty much like Big Cranky (post 15) and my entire AT kit cost $850. I had lots of time to shop deals and found some good ones. My pack list, with weights and costs, is attached.

13373My camera, two lenses, and tripod weigh almost that much.

bigcranky
08-02-2011, 21:00
My camera, two lenses, and tripod weigh almost that much.

Well, sure, my camera gear weighs far more than the 9 pounds base weight in Garlic's list. But I'm sure not bringing it all on a thru-hike!

Brewerbob
08-03-2011, 07:32
Well, sure, my camera gear weighs far more than the 9 pounds base weight in Garlic's list. But I'm sure not bringing it all on a thru-hike!I dunno if I'd bring the 70-200mm lens but I'd damn sure bring the body and the 16-50mm lens and tripod. I'd only have one shot at a thru-hike until after retirement.

Trailbender
08-03-2011, 10:04
I dunno if I'd bring the 70-200mm lens but I'd damn sure bring the body and the 16-50mm lens and tripod. I'd only have one shot at a thru-hike until after retirement.

You could just bring a digital camera, they have some pretty small and light ones nowadays, and they seem to take good pictures. Good enough, at least, and a lot lighter than that.

Brewerbob
08-03-2011, 11:10
You could just bring a digital camera, they have some pretty small and light ones nowadays, and they seem to take good pictures. Good enough, at least, and a lot lighter than that.If they were just as good then DSLRs wouldn't exist. The money (and quality) is in the glass. I'm not giving up a $1500 lens for "4x optical zoom and 20x digital zoom P&S". Just ain't going to happen. The only advantage the P&S have is battery choice and availability on the trail. If I have to leave the real camera at home, I'll just use the cell phone camera.

Trailbender
08-03-2011, 13:02
If they were just as good then DSLRs wouldn't exist. The money (and quality) is in the glass. I'm not giving up a $1500 lens for "4x optical zoom and 20x digital zoom P&S". Just ain't going to happen. The only advantage the P&S have is battery choice and availability on the trail. If I have to leave the real camera at home, I'll just use the cell phone camera.

Well, it's good enough, and more efficient. I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with them. I feel it is just like anything else, the skill is in the photographer, not the gear. Not saying good equipment is useless, but it is like the Ti cookpot vs greasepot argument. They both do the same job, sure, one is better, but in the end, it works. I am personally a minimalist, though, and hate having tons of possessions. I try to simplify as much as possible, strip everything down to bare bones. So to me, I look at a combination of weight, efficiency, size, ease of use, and cost, with anything I buy. I replaced a set of box wrenches with 2 adjustable ones. Are they better, no, but they are good enough to get the job done.

Wrangler88
08-03-2011, 19:00
If you want the most for your money, look on backpacking forums for people selling stuff. You'll get way more for your money if you buy used. Most everything is still in like new or good condition. Check here, hammockforums, backpackinglight, etc. In my opinion you can get the best quality, good value,lightweight stuff over at BPL. Just have to be patient and flexible.

I'd be looking at either a Zpacks tarptent, a Tarptent, or Six Moon Designs shelter. Or if you want to hammock then you can get a Warbonnet Blackbird or traveler setup for a good price.

Backpack - you can find golite jam2's for cheap and they're perfectly sized for multiday trips.

Pad - Get a CCF pad from Gossamer Gear. Or a Zrest.

Rain gear - Gatewood Cape from Six Moon Designs could double as your poncho and shelter. Not only saves you money but weight as well.

Sleeping Bag - Find a good deal on a Golite Ultra 20 or a Jacks R Better wearable quilt.

Anyway, not that I know a lot. But that's where I'd start.

Brewerbob
08-04-2011, 09:04
Well, it's good enough, and more efficient. I have seen some pretty good pictures taken with them. I feel it is just like anything else, the skill is in the photographer, not the gear. Not saying good equipment is useless, but it is like the Ti cookpot vs greasepot argument. They both do the same job, sure, one is better, but in the end, it works. I am personally a minimalist, though, and hate having tons of possessions. I try to simplify as much as possible, strip everything down to bare bones. So to me, I look at a combination of weight, efficiency, size, ease of use, and cost, with anything I buy. I replaced a set of box wrenches with 2 adjustable ones. Are they better, no, but they are good enough to get the job done.I'm a beer and photo snob. Best time for pics is sunset and sunrise. Requires a tripod. And P&S and especially cell phones fail miserably with low light. Since even a fast thru hike is still 2 months long, it's got to be a leave of absence from work. It would be a vacation.

If/when I do one, I'd probably start earlier than most. Everyone seemd to like mid April for NOBO. I'd probably start Mar 1st and hope for no snow. Anywho, the extra time for all of the blue blazes, taking pics, etc. Keep town days to a minimum but if I'm just not feeling it or if I'm in a really nice area, hang out for a day or two.

lornadunne18
08-08-2011, 23:17
Where did you go to outfit your friend for under 200?