PDA

View Full Version : Dana Gleason's Mystery Ranch Packs?

Todd Kirkendol
02-09-2005, 08:16
Anyone have any experiece with these packs. Dana Gleason from Dana Designs bailed out of his original company after being bought out by K2 sports. He is now making a new line of packs designed, built, and sold in Bozeman, MT. His new company is called Mystery Ranch. Dana has even been making special packs for the US Navy Seal Teams. I was just curious as to the quality and comfort of the newest creation from this "legend" of backpack design.

www.mysteryranch.com (http://www.mysteryranch.com/)

NICKTHEGREEK
02-09-2005, 08:42
Todd, the mystery ranch packs were out about 2 years ago and I spent some time going over them carefully. The concept then was to buy a suspension system then choose a packbag size to suit your purposes. They were very nicely made, rather expensive, and somewhat heavy. Since the first run I have not seen one since either in the stores or on the trail. Backpacker Magazine may have had one of it's vapid reviews when the packs were first introduced.

A-Train
02-09-2005, 19:52
My Buddy Subman bought this pack at Neels Gap (before his hike) and used it and loved it from Georgia to Maine. It was a pretty lightweight pack and he kept the weight low which helped. Sorry, I can't say much more other than that he really enjoyed it. They never got very popular though

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2005, 20:32
Good packs, but in my opinion, way over-priced:

*For example, the MR G-5000, at 5400 cubic inches, lists at $449.00
Dana's Alpine LTW, at 5600 c.i., is $100.00 cheaper
Arc'teryx's Bora 80, at 5550 c.i. is $80.00 cheaper
Osprey's 85 liter packs are $70.00 cheaper
Mountainsmith's big packs are HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper

*Osprey's biggest pack retails for $399.00
Dan's biggest is $449.00
Arc'teryx' is $435.00
Granite Gear's is $360.00
Mystery Racnch's biggest is $519.00!

*Mystery Ranch's SMALLEST pack (only 2700 c.i.) lists for $189.00

In short, I simply don't believe that MR packs are significantly "better" than other top-of-the-line products, and certainly aren't better enough to justify that much of a price differential. Five hundred bucks for a backpack is ridiculous, unless it takes you out back and treats your right.

I personally belive that equal or better products are on the market for significantly less money. MR has a minor "cult" status based on Dana Gleason's association. In my opinion, you're paying an extra 75 to a hundred dollars not for a better pack, but for a trendier and hotter logo patch.

Your backpack, along with your footwear, is the most important decision you're going to make. Whether or not your pack makes a bold fashion statement or makes you look cool is generally not something you should be considering.

A-Train
02-09-2005, 20:49
Mystery Racnch's biggest is $519.00!

Actually after checking their site, they have a bigger pack, 9 lbs (I have a baseweight close to that!) and 7000 cu inches. This pack is 630 bucks. Jesus, I could hike to Pearisburg on that money

I agree with Jack though. Although these packs could be super-comfy you can do better price wise and weight wise. For instance one of their packs is 4 lbs and 3200 cu inches and 199 bucks. The Mountainsmith Ghost (which I've used) is 3100 cu inches, weighs HALF that and costs HALF that. No comparison really.

Todd Kirkendol
02-10-2005, 01:43
Thanks guys for the insight. I saw right off they were high dollar, but I wanted to see if I was missing out on some comfort "secret" cause these packs arent available in my area. Hey Jack, are you thru-hiking this year? My name is Wiley and me and my wife Meme are thruing this year and would really like to meet you. Thanks again guys!

MedicineMan
02-10-2005, 02:31
in the long run you'll see they're just sacks with straps and a Mortgage