PDA

View Full Version : What are my transportation options in the NE -- NJ through VT?

honu
07-26-2011, 14:04
I'm trying to plan my fall hike. I'm looking at a departure date in late September and hiking for three to four weeks in the section between Delaware Water Gap, PA and Hanover, NH. My main problem is figuring out transportation to and from Michigan. Taking the bus is one option -- but it's a long ride (~24 hours each way) and bus stops at towns near the trail are limited. Another option is to drive my car, park it, and get shuttles to or from various points on the trail.

My original thinking was to take a bus to Hanover and hike south. But that's a 35 hour ride and the bus arrives at about 2:00 am. And there aren't any convenient bus stops 300 or so miles down the trail to get home.

Another possibility is to take the bus to Stroudsburg, PA and hike north. There's a bus station at Williamstown, MA, which is about 300 miles north of Delaware Water Gap, and I could catch a bus home from there. But there is nothing betwen there and Hanover if I want to keep going.

Driving my car gives me the most flexibility, but I have no idea where I could park it and what shuttles are available.

Any info or advice about transportation or anything else regarding my planned hike will be greatly appreciated.