PDA

View Full Version : Solomon Shoe/Boot Question

Spokes
07-26-2011, 18:04
Anyone know how much the Solomon XA PRO 3D MID GTX® ULTRA's weigh say as compared to the Keen Targhee II Mid's?

It's not listed on their website.

Cheers!

Raul Perez
07-26-2011, 18:44
Not sure of the weight but I was recently disappointed in them on my 50 mile hike on the AT. The tread wasn't that great and it wasn't gripping very well on rocks. I ended up switching to Inov8 Roclites as the grips are much better and they seem to be a lighter shoe overall.

q-tip
07-27-2011, 13:27
I just bought the Salomon XA mid---very light but I don't think they would work well for a long hike 500+--also, would not work very well on rocky trail unless I had my boot inserts in and and like Raul, they did not grip very well, took a couple of tumbles..

Joker4ink
07-27-2011, 17:26
I weighed them out and each one is about 14.4 ounces (without the soft, foam insole). I only have about 50 miles on mine so far but I really like them. I switched from my Asolo GV520's to this boot and I very much like them! I was really unsure about the "Contagrip" sole but I think they stick really well (as good as my Asolo's with Vibram soles). Salomon said (over the phone) that the sole is warrantied for a year. The fit like a slipper but I do notice they run a bit large. Oh, the laces that come in them suck...right out of the box. I called Salomon and they immediately sent out a new set. The ones they sent (which are the exact same ones that REI carries for replacement) are better quality. You will notice they are jet black instead of black with tiny little specs of silver. The replacement locks are also jet black instead of slightly translucent. Since I put the new laces & locks in, they havent been a problem. I think they are worth giving a shot. I am curious to see how the longevity will be.

Spokes
07-28-2011, 09:49
I went to REI and compared them to my old standard Keen Targhee II Mid's and they seemed a bit lighter. They did fit like a slipper and no problems with toe jam on the incline board in the store.

Most of you guys have mentioned grip issues with this shoe. Heck I thought the Keen soles sucked on slick rocks too.

Decisions, decisions.........

ScottP
07-28-2011, 09:55
zappos always lists weights

http://www.zappos.com/salomon-xa-pro-3d-mid-gtx-ultra-black-black-pewter

1 (http://www.zappos.com/salomon-xa-pro-3d-mid-gtx-ultra-black-black-pewter)5 oz

Raul Perez
07-28-2011, 10:45
I've had issues with the lacing system too... Seemed to lossen up every 5 miles or so and if it was a steep incline that excelerated the issue.Good shoe in theory but in practice I was annoyed.

Joker4ink
07-28-2011, 19:09
Raul - I know it's dumb that you would have to replace the laces/locks on brand new boots, but they lock tight and dont slip. I checked and they have the same patent number so they must be the same. Maybe the material is more durable or something. Either way, pick them up and you (hopefully) shouldnt have issues.

Raul Perez
07-28-2011, 19:28
Thanks Joker... it still doesn't take away the fact that the tread was crap on the AT. I really wanted to like this shoe but in the end I wanted something that actually gripped dry rock and roots instead of me praying I dont slip on my face which I almost did a number of times. Luckily I'm light on my feet ;)