PDA

View Full Version : Nimblewill Nomad

budforester
07-26-2011, 22:00
Any updates on the Nimblewill Nomad? His website says he is off- trail due to a broken leg. He was on the Ozark Trail in Arkansas; latest I found from him was a video dated June 13.

Sly
07-26-2011, 23:32
Broken leg? Yikes, that sucks. Best to a speedy recovery.

Sly
07-26-2011, 23:34
http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/images announcements/Broken-Leg-man.gif

Nimblewill Nomad is currently off-trail due to a broken leg suffered while trekking the Sylamore Section of the Ozark Highlands Trail.

At the time, Nimblewill was 530 miles into his planned 1,111 mile thru-hike o’er a trail destined to become known as the “Triple-O,” an amalgam of trails that form the backbone in a system of trails spanning the Ozark Highlands of Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. These trails are the Ozark, the Ozark Highlands, and the Ouachita Trail(s). All three are National Recreation Trails.

Upon release from Dr. Tim, his sports med doctor, (hopefully within the next four to six weeks) Nimblewill will return once more to Arkansas to complete his thru-hike—on down the Triple O.

perrito
07-27-2011, 07:25
Wow. He's amazing. He has to be like 73 now, right?

SawnieRobertson
07-27-2011, 08:26
I am amazed that no one has known about this. Wonder how it happened. I hope that he has a quick heal. He has miles to go before he sleeps.--Kinnickinic

The Solemates
07-27-2011, 11:49
here's to wishing him the best!

50% of those over the age of 65 sustaining a femur fracture die within 4 years due to complications (25% die within one year). hope he can beat the curve!

Tipi Walter
07-27-2011, 12:14
Anyone know how he broke it?

Ender
07-27-2011, 12:18
By being too awesome. :sun

Here's to wishing him a speedy and painless recovery!

sbhikes
07-27-2011, 12:28
I'm sure that those 50% with the complications aren't thru-hiking long trails in their 70s! The triple-O sounds pretty cool. Never even been to Oklahoma.

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 12:41

Late morning, and while negotiating a particularly gnarly off-camber uphill, it happens. Of the thousands of consciously, carefully placed steps, it takes only one miss-step to spell potential disaster—and I take it here. Through the high weeds and briars, and unable to see the tread, I step in a hole, lose my balance, and go over the side. Everything follows except my right foot. It remains firmly planted in the hole. As I try righting myself, the pain descends, gut wrenching pain. I struggle back to my feet. In the process, comes first disbelief, then denial. Hobbling along now, my trekking poles functioning more as crutches, I agonize the reality of the situation—this trek is quickly coming to a halt—again.

From his trail journal.

Sly
07-27-2011, 12:42
Ouch......

Tipi Walter
07-27-2011, 12:46
Wingedmonkey---thanks for the link.

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 13:47
He started that journey off with a waist high, turbulent, near drowning river crossing. Hell of a way to end it. For now anyway.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2011_triple-o_journals.htm

Blissful
07-27-2011, 13:51
So sorry, hope he heals soon.

budforester
07-27-2011, 13:55
Thanks Winged Monkey, I had forgotten about the "Journals" tab on his website. Yeah, he says he's coming back to finish his hike. June 21 was more than a month ago; I hope the Nomad is healing well.

He started that journey off with a waist high, turbulent, near drowning river crossing. Hell of a way to end it. For now anyway.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2011_triple-o_journals.htm

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 14:09
Thanks Winged Monkey, I had forgotten about the "Journals" tab on his website. Yeah, he says he's coming back to finish his hike. June 21 was more than a month ago; I hope the Nomad is healing well.

An excellent trail map is hidden under the outline map on his Odyssey 2011 front page. Click on the state outline map for the trail map.

http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2011_triple-o.htm

I wish I could make maps like that of my journeys. I ain't got no graphic talent.

:rolleyes:

SawnieRobertson
07-27-2011, 15:39
here's to wishing him the best!

50% of those over the age of 65 sustaining a femur fracture die within 4 years due to complications (25% die within one year). hope he can beat the curve!

From what he says in his website, Eb did not fracture his femur. He indicated that is was his LOWER leg, tibia and/or fibula, not so serious unless there is a lot of extra damage to everything around the break. He will probably heal fast.
His circulaion is probably that of a teenager.--Kinnickinic

budforester
08-29-2011, 21:32
I just checked N N's journal and I'm very impressed! He got back on trail August 13, started where he left off, and completed the Ozark Highlands Trail. Now he's into Oklahoma... I wish him Happy Hiking!