PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wiliamson New Unassisted Record on PCT Attempt

Sly
07-27-2011, 11:13
Scott Williamson is at it again, this time to break his own record, held with Adam Bradley, of 65d, 9h, 58m set in 2009.

What sets this record apart from most is he'll be completely unassisted, walking in and out of town to get resupplied. If he sets foot in a car, the attempt is off.

More here...

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=151

burger
07-27-2011, 16:19
The avoiding cars thing is new. On their hike in 2009, Scott and Adam accepted no rides and resupplied only by walking.

burger
07-27-2011, 16:20
The avoiding cars thing is new. On their hike in 2009, Scott and Adam accepted no rides and resupplied only by walking.
Oops, meant to say that avoiding cars is NOT new.

Sly
07-27-2011, 16:34
Oops, meant to say that avoiding cars is NOT new.

It's new to people around here. They seem to accept you can get a ride if it's not pre-arranged. Anyway, I don't think such a record exist on the AT.

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 16:39
There are no records on the AT.
:p

Carl in FL
07-27-2011, 17:06
I would think unassisted does not preclude having someone mail your supplies
and gear ahead to timed mail drops, but it should preclude both being met at
the trail heads with supplies, and getting transportation in and out of a resupply
town. The unplanned and unanticipated trail angel would not be a disqualifier.

stranger
08-04-2011, 09:27

I think it's bit silly, this whole gig about not taking rides to resupply. Complete non-sense. Scott Williamson is an amazing hiker, however why not move onto 'something else' instead of:
- fastest hike of PCT
- most PCT completions
- fastest hike of PCT again
- first PCT yo-yo
- second PCT yo-yo
- fastest hike of PCT not hitching
- fastest hike of PCT wearing a cowboy hat
- fastest hike of the PCT with just one sock
- fastest hike of PCT never counting past the number 10

Williamson is the master, why keep doing this stuff? I would love to see him branch out cause I think he could do anything he wanted to do.

I think the PCT chapter is closed at this stage.

Sly
08-04-2011, 11:12
Williamson is the master, why keep doing this stuff? I would love to see him branch out cause I think he could do anything he wanted to do.

I'm pretty sure he's hiked both already but no doubt he'd have a chance to set or break records on the AT and CDT if he wanted to. The PCT is an awesome trail, I could see doing it a few times. He's like Baltimore Jack/Warren/Trek on the AT but those guys have only hiked the AT as a major trail.

Red Hat
08-04-2011, 11:53
seems tough since resupplies on the PCT can be 20+ miles off trail!

John B
08-04-2011, 12:05
... He's like Baltimore Jack/Warren/Trek on the AT but those guys have only hiked the AT as a major trail.

Really? I had no idea. For whatever mistaken reason, I thought that they had thru-hiked all the major trails. So Warren has thru'd the AT 14 times but not once the PCT, JMT, or CDT?

Skidsteer
08-04-2011, 12:09
Really? I had no idea. For whatever mistaken reason, I thought that they had thru-hiked all the major trails. So Warren has thru'd the AT 14 times but not once the PCT, JMT, or CDT?

I think Warren has done the JMT.

sbhikes
08-04-2011, 12:42
There are a number of people who hike the PCT over and over again. Not all of them are well-known. The PCT is a great trail. Great views, good weather, interesting and varied teraine, lots of solitude but not as much as the CDT. It's my plan to do it over and over again, but first I gotta get past this whole "working" thing.

Sly
08-04-2011, 14:54
I think Warren has done the JMT.

Yeah, he has, but it's only 220 miles. He's probably also hiked the LT at 270 miles. I was referring to a "major" long distance trail such as the PCT or CDT.

Sly
08-04-2011, 15:04
seems tough since resupplies on the PCT can be 20+ miles off trail!

Scott already holds the unassisted record at ~65 days. One thing with guys like him is they travel so fast, they can do a couple hundred miles or more, choosing the best resupply locations.

I forget the exact mileage but as an example, there's a section in the Sierra that without dropping into Lone Pine or Independence, is 200 miles between resupply. When you get there you need to walk a mile and take a scheduled ferry. A lot of hikers do it with 20lbs of food, or more, over 10-12 days, while someone like Scott will do it in five or six, but most likely reach the next resupply, right on the trail in another day, losing no time.

stranger
08-04-2011, 18:45
I'm pretty sure he's hiked both already but no doubt he'd have a chance to set or break records on the AT and CDT if he wanted to. The PCT is an awesome trail, I could see doing it a few times. He's like Baltimore Jack/Warren/Trek on the AT but those guys have only hiked the AT as a major trail.

I hear what you are saying but I think Williamson is more in the Andrew Skurka, Justin Lichter and Brian Robinson camp than the people you mention. There are far more complexities along the PCT, navigational skills, fords, deserts, water issues, long distances between towns, snow in the Sierra, etc...

Hiking the AT requires putting one step in front of the others and following blazes, towns are everywhere, you barely have to cross a creek without a bridge until Maine! No disrespect to those you mention, I could not do what they have, but Williamson is in another league.

There is a reason why those guys don't hike the PCT or CDT, and it's not the same reason why Williamson doesn't hike on the AT. Does anyone really see Warren Doyle or Baltimore Jack thru-hiking the PCT? I don't see that happening, they are too entrenched into the AT scene, hiking the PCT would be like taking up Tennis for them.

Del Q
08-04-2011, 20:36
Stranger - that was pretty funny............come on, anyone who thru hikes, Rock Star, people that can do these trails fast, WOW

- I am 52, in good shape, love the outdoors, am pretty resilient, Section Hiking at AT is one of the toughest things I have ever attempted in my life, tough like marriage, raising kids, financial challenges, seeing your parents take their last breath, friends passing...............mentally and physically long distance hiking carrying all of your gear is TOUGH.

The mental piece is huge, we are in a class by ourselves and should be proud of that..............and with what is going on with the World right now, a superb skill to have. I could live on very little per fiscal year.

Sly
08-04-2011, 21:45
Does anyone really see Warren Doyle or Baltimore Jack thru-hiking the PCT? I don't see that happening, they are too entrenched into the AT scene, hiking the PCT would be like taking up Tennis for them.

Most of the time, when we're not arguing politics I'm good friends with Jack, and after his first few AT thru-hikes I tried to talk him into doing the PCT. I think I almost had him convinced when I told him that since many of the PCT hikers are former AT hikers, he'd know nearly everyone on the trail. I think he liked that idea, and it is cool meeting the same people on different trails. I'm pretty sure he was going to do it one year but it may have been a really bad snow year, so he declined, which a lot of people do.

Anyway, in a low snow year, without miles of snow and difficult fords, IMO, it's actually easier to hike the PCT than AT.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2011, 22:20
I think it's bit silly, this whole gig about not taking rides to resupply. Complete non-sense. Scott Williamson is an amazing hiker, however why not move onto 'something else' instead of:
- fastest hike of PCT
- most PCT completions
- fastest hike of PCT again
- first PCT yo-yo
- second PCT yo-yo
- fastest hike of PCT not hitching
- fastest hike of PCT wearing a cowboy hat
- fastest hike of the PCT with just one sock
- fastest hike of PCT never counting past the number 10

I think the PCT chapter is closed at this stage.PCT is easy. the AT would eat the boy up

Iceaxe
08-04-2011, 22:58
Having just finished the A.T. after hiking the PCT and CDT I have to agree that the Appalachian Trail was, for me, the most physically demanding.
It is also true that a lot of western hikers that have never been on the A.T. assume it will be "easy" due to the relatively lower elevations.
Not that there are not seriously challenging aspects of the western trails.. there are. It's just that the A.T. has the steepest trail with the most difficult tread of the
three Triple Crown Trails.
I know it kicked my butt pretty solidly even before i got to the Shire and Maine!
I have total and complete respect for the Appalachian Trail now!
I would also say the scenery and forests of the A.T. are superb and unique. You will really work for views on the A.T. and never take them for granted the way you might
be tempted to sometimes when surrounded by views everyday such as on parts of the western trails.
To my western friends: Don't underestimate Appalachia!

stranger
08-05-2011, 02:39
Stranger - that was pretty funny............come on, anyone who thru hikes, Rock Star, people that can do these trails fast, WOW

- I am 52, in good shape, love the outdoors, am pretty resilient, Section Hiking at AT is one of the toughest things I have ever attempted in my life, tough like marriage, raising kids, financial challenges, seeing your parents take their last breath, friends passing...............mentally and physically long distance hiking carrying all of your gear is TOUGH.

The mental piece is huge, we are in a class by ourselves and should be proud of that..............and with what is going on with the World right now, a superb skill to have. I could live on very little per fiscal year.

I agree they are ALL rock stars...I stated earlier that I couldn't do what they have done, but that's hardly the point. My point was that it's not accurate to lump Scott Williamson in a category with Baltimore Jack, Doyle and Trek.

Scott Williamson has done things those guys haven't, plain and simple. And that says alot when you look at 'those guys' accomplishments.

Sly
08-05-2011, 08:50
PCT is easy. It's not this year, half the hikers won't finish.

stranger
08-05-2011, 09:55
What's going on this year compared to others?

Sly
08-05-2011, 10:00
What's going on this year compared to others? Huge snow year in CA. They'll be tons of flip flopping. I wouldn't expect more than 50% to finish but I'm not really sure. Scott's attempting his hike southbound. I'm not sure how much snow they got in WA but it should be mostly melted out by the time he gets to OR and CA.

leaftye
09-01-2011, 14:10
I forget the exact mileage but as an example, there's a section in the Sierra that without dropping into Lone Pine or Independence, is 200 miles between resupply. When you get there you need to walk a mile and take a scheduled ferry. A lot of hikers do it with 20lbs of food, or more, over 10-12 days, while someone like Scott will do it in five or six, but most likely reach the next resupply, right on the trail in another day, losing no time.

That place is Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR). This is where experience really helps. If he gets and would have to wait hours for the ferry, he could use his experience to opt for taking the ~5 mile hike instead. Or since he's a really strong hiker, he could do about another day and get to Red's Meadow where it's easy and quick to take a bus into town, or know that the Red's Meadow store now has a much better selection of food and buy his food there, or take a pass before that and hike into town if he really wanted to avoid getting a ride. Being able to do big miles and having lots of trail knowledge pays big dividends. Scott isn't fast just because he's a great athlete, he's fast because he knows how to hike the PCT.

tjforrester
09-04-2011, 11:35
Having just finished the A.T. after hiking the PCT and CDT I have to agree that the Appalachian Trail was, for me, the most physically demanding.
It is also true that a lot of western hikers that have never been on the A.T. assume it will be "easy" due to the relatively lower elevations.
Not that there are not seriously challenging aspects of the western trails.. there are. It's just that the A.T. has the steepest trail with the most difficult tread of the
three Triple Crown Trails.
I know it kicked my butt pretty solidly even before i got to the Shire and Maine!
I have total and complete respect for the Appalachian Trail now!
I would also say the scenery and forests of the A.T. are superb and unique. You will really work for views on the A.T. and never take them for granted the way you might
be tempted to sometimes when surrounded by views everyday such as on parts of the western trails.
To my western friends: Don't underestimate Appalachia!

I agree about the perception that western hikers think the AT is easy because of its lower elevations. There are also folks who think the southern mountains are warm in March. :)

I thru-hiked the AT, PCT, CDT, AT in consecutive years, and my second AT thru-hike was the easiest of the four hikes. It was a lark, play time, and I didn't notice the ups and downs even a little. This came after hiking the CDT the previous year, and hiking that trail changes a hiker in a way the other trails don't. There wasn't much trail when I hiked the CDT, and many days I spent hours bushwhacking straight up a mountain, at angles every bit as steep as anything on the AT. And all this at a much higher elevation. For my money, the CDT is the hardest of the three trails, least it was when I hiked it.

Like you, though, I also love the AT. The mountains have an intimate feel to them, and I return time and again.

sbhikes
09-12-2011, 13:30
When I hiked the PCT I was well aware how easy it is. The grade is so easy and the trail is so well-maintained. Where I normally hike, I would be lucky to go 10 miles in a day sometimes because the trails are in such bad condition. I was shocked I could hike a marathon in a day on the PCT. I got spoiled being able to hike standing straight up and not having to crawl! However, even with the relatively gentle grade of the PCT, I hurt my achilles tendons and have felt that the AT would probably be too hard for me. I'd like to try it sometime though, but I don't have any illusions it'll be easy.

Malto
09-14-2011, 13:24
Huge snow year in CA. They'll be tons of flip flopping. I wouldn't expect more than 50% to finish but I'm not really sure. Scott's attempting his hike southbound. I'm not sure how much snow they got in WA but it should be mostly melted out by the time he gets to OR and CA.

I don't think the PCT ever gets a 50% finish rate. This year was not only a high snow year in the Sierra but there was more snow than normal all the way to the Border. This meant that there was few flip flop option for folks and many simply ran out of money waiting it out or some bypassed multiple sections. This year a new term is being used to describe hikers that hiked the whole trail, no flipping or skipping, they are being described as continuous. I suspect that there will be fewer than 50 continuous hikers this year, others have pegged the number even lower. I was told that there was about 500 application for thru hiking permits this year.

Also, if Scott Williamson wanted to make a run at the AT record he would be a serious contender. I met him in southern Washington this year and got some insight into how he does his miles. He starts at 5am and is willing to go after dark. So even if he is unable to keep the speed he normally achieves on the PCT, he would do the hours needed to put in the desired miles. Not only is he a great athlete but he has incredible mental discipline. The funniest thing is that he claims he doesn't hike fast. I suspect most with disagree with that assessment.

Finally, if you look at where Scott and Adam resupplied in 2009, they cherry picked the locations that were close to the trail. Surprisingly they did a couple of six day carries, one in Washington and one in SoCal in addition to the stretch from KM to Reds.

The Walker
09-30-2011, 11:08
Any new updates on how Scott is progressing?

lollygag
10-11-2011, 16:01
Here, in reverse order, are copies of the three recent updates from the PCT-L, graciously passed on by Reinhold Metzger:

[pct-l] Scott Williamson up date...correctionReinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net (pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=%5Bpct-l%5D%20Scott%20Williamson%20up%20date...correction&In-Reply-To=4E93811D.9060408%40cox.net)
Mon Oct 10 19:13:16 CDT 2011

Previous message: [pct-l] Scott Williamson up date (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/054708.html)
Next message: [pct-l] From a Newbie (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/054670.html)
Messages sorted by: [ date ] (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/date.html#54710) [ thread ] (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/thread.html#54710) [ subject ] (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/subject.html#54710) [ author ] (http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2011-October/author.html#54710)

Hi gang,I meant to say greet, not greed.BTW....Sam Fox, the 24 year old Yale University track star and record high jumper that was also atemting to set a new PCT record and raise money for Parkinson disease, abandoned his attempt. He is skipping the Sierra,due to the recent snow, and will reenter the PCT at Walker pass and continue to the border.I told Michelle a month ago, because of his (Sam) late start he might get stopped by snow in the Sierra.....and so it happened.....it just shows how proper planing and knowing the trail is crucial.Nobody knows the trail like Scott, and Scott knew it is best to get through the Sierra before October.But, it is all part of the equation.JMT Reinhold---------------------------------------------------------------------On 10/10/2011 4:34 PM, Reinhold Metzger wrote:> Hi gang,> Scott is still on track to set a new PCT record.> He estimates he will arive at the Mexican Border between 5 and 7 pm > tomorrow (Tuesday, October 11.)> Would be nice if a few people will be there to greed and welcome him.>> JMT Reinhol;d> -----------------------------------------------------------------> On 10/8/2011 9:24 AM, Reinhold Metzger wrote:>> High gang,>> Scott Williamson, the undisputed, unquestionable, undeniable ''King >> of the PCT'' with 12 PCT "thru-hikes" including 2 yo-yos and 2 >> records already behind his belt is about to make it 13 ''thru-hikes'' >> and 3 records.>>>> Yes, Scott is on track to beat the record he and Adam Bradley set in >> 2009.>> Scott is scheduled to arive at the Mexican Border in the afternoon on >> Tuesday, October 11.>> Michelle, his wife, told me Scott is in good spirit but she is >> worried about him because he looked pretty worn at Kennedy Mdws. and >> he will be hiking through the night on Monday and will be very tired >> and hungry when he arrives at the border Tuesday..>> I promised Michelle that Karen and I will fatten Scott up a little at >> our home before shipping him back to Michelle>> in Truckee.>>>> So, if any of you folks or ''Hiker Trash'' want to shake hands with >> the one and only Scott Williamson, the one and only ''King of the >> PCT'', come on out on Tuesday.>>>> I know all records sooner or later get broken,....but I am not sure >> if Scott's accomplishments on the PCT will ever be equaled.....not in >> my life time anyhow.>>>> JMT Reinhold>

lollygag
10-11-2011, 16:13
Anyway, hiking North and South on the PCT are apples and oranges and many elite distance hikers (including Francis Tapon) theorize that the fastest way to thru the PCT is South, so IMHO this will be a new sobo record, and the nobo record stands.

Scott, Adam, and Eric D are my heros and I think it's cool that Scott hikes the PCT over and over. Anyone who doesn't get that hasn't seen the PCT. Eric D is an elite distance hiker of the purest sort despite few having heard of him--for seven years straight he finished the PCT first!

stranger
10-13-2011, 00:05
I heard he finished...64 days

Colter
10-13-2011, 08:19
PCT is easy. the AT would eat the boy up

Firstly, congratulations to Scott. He's the real deal.

Secondly, the AT IS harder in some ways, like overall steepness and usually more rain. But the PCT is harder in many ways. Much more challenging orienteering, much more dangerous river crossings, steep snowy passes, often many miles of deep snow at a time during the height of hiking season, harder resupply.

I know you say those things to be abrasive, Lone Wolf, don't know why, but I do know Scott would smoke the AT, too, and he'd definitely walk you or me into the ground on either trail.

garlic08
11-16-2011, 00:14
Here's a recent article from Scott's hometown paper: http://moonshineink.com/articles.php/94/2549

I (http://moonshineink.com/articles.php/94/2549) personally don't believe the PCT is easier than the AT. I can understand why you'd think that if you hike the AT first, and I respect that opinion. I think your first thru hike is your hardest. But I hiked the PCT first, and my AT hike was faster (20 mpd vs 18), and I thought loads easier.

leaftye
11-18-2011, 00:46
I don't think the lower elevations of the AT would make it easier. What I think would make it easier is carrying less food, water and other consumables.

Iceaxe
11-18-2011, 02:03
From my perspective, having hiked the PCT,CDT and then AT in that order, I found the AT to be the hardest physically.
Even though I spent 100 days hiking the AT, 120 days on the CDT and 150 days on the PCT.
The PCT was my first Long Distance Trail so I was just figuring out what I wanted from my hike and how i wanted to hike. That took almost the whole 1,700 miles of California PCT before i really hit my stride in Oregon and Washington.
On the CDT I hit the trail already knowing what I wanted from my hike and i knew how my body would react to 14 hours of hiking a day which is the preferred way to hike for me.
The biggest physical challenges on those trails were overshadowed by the mental challenges of logistics, terrain, navigation, remoteness.
On the AT this year I started knowing i would finish.
The previous trails taught me a powerful lesson: No matter what happens today, no matter how steep that mountain, or how painful the climb.. there will always be a summit.
For every snowfield there is a patch of rock even if it's only a small patch 100 miles away.
Every mosquito hatch abates eventually and every thunderstorm ends in blue sky.. (except in Connecticut).
I know this all sounds like flowery, new age crap from some dude in California. But I know that the once I had the mental aspect under control the physical part was much easier.
So for me, the AT was primarily a Physical challenge. It is also a kick ass, awesome, and even SWEET trail!
There is no doubt that the AT has the steepest climbs, harshest tread, and wettest climate of the three trails.. at least in my opinion.
That harshness of character was what i came to love about the AT.
Like i told the hikers i met along the trail when they asked me: You will remember the good times long after the hard times have faded.
There were times in the San Juan Mountains of colorado where the only footprints in the snow were that of Elk and my own. I had bloody calves from postholing. But really all i had to do was follow my map and walk.
The results is the good memories always prevail and the bad memories become good tales told to wide eyed and amazed friends.
I am having an AT flashback right now.. I am smiling so it must have been good!
The AT was not some "notch in my belt".
Hiking the AT was as fascinating an experience as the PCT and CDT for me.
I will most definitely be back to hike the AT again.
Yea, those Georgia and North Carolina hills will kick my butt as will Vermont, New Hampshire, and Freeking MAINE!
It hurts a lot to be way out west right now.
Y'all have one fantastic trail out there.. as well as all the cheesy grits and whoopie pies!
-iceaxe PCT09 CDT10 AT11

Lion King
11-18-2011, 03:56
AT is harder physically no doubt, PCT has more route finding/dangerous rivers/snow etc..I loved it...LOVED IT, still do

Warren and his girl did the JMT in 2006, I ran into them South of VVR

Scotts a good dude, Ive known him on and off for about 6 years, I saw him this year as well as I did some hiking in the high desert

I guess one day I should do the CDT.....

Odd Man Out
11-18-2011, 14:44
From my perspective, having hiked the PCT,CDT, AT ...-iceaxe PCT09 CDT10 AT11

I love this post, Iceaxe. It's great to hear the perspective of someone who has hiked all three and appreciates the beauty and challenges that are unique to all three!
:banana