PDA

View Full Version : AT trivia questions

Askus3
02-09-2005, 17:31
I was curious and thought I would ask:

1. I believe the Bear Mountain Bridge is the longest bridge on the AT(right?).

2. So what is the longest tunnel that the AT goes thru?

3. What is the highest waterfall within 1/4 mile of the AT?

4. What is the highest lake (pond-at least 1 acre in size) on (within 1/4 mile of) the AT?

5. What is the largest lake on (within 1/4 mile of) the AT?

6. What is the largest trail shelter (lean-to) on the AT (open front)?

7. What is the largest ford on the AT? (The Kennebec River does not count since it is required to be crossed by boat.)

8. What stream or river is followed for the longest distance? (AT must be within 1/4 mile of the bank of this stream)

9. What is the highest tower on the AT that you are legally (steps, ladder or elevator) able to climb? (again within 1/4 mile of the trail)

Thanks

The Solemates
02-09-2005, 18:21
These are all guesses, but informed ones. Someone else step up to the plate if Im wrong.

1. Im pretty sure.

2. I dont remember any tunnels.

3. I would guess Amicalola at Springer.

4. Speck Pond in Maine is the highest in the state and probably on the AT.

5. Many come to mind, but perhaps Mooselookmeguntic Lake, ME? Watauga is pretty good size too.

6. Hmm..Bryant Ridge is big. So is Partnership. Who knows..

7. Not many fords on the AT. Whatever that one is in ME near the "Grand Canyon" is the biggest I can think of. Of course you cross much larger rivers via a footbridge.

8. Probably the Housatonic in CT.

9. The tower at the highest elevation? Or the tower which is the tallest? Smarts Mtn Firetower comes to mind as being up there. So does that firetower in ME that I cant remember the name of...starts with a B?

Tabasco
02-09-2005, 18:29
I'm thinking the longest tunnel is about 20' as it runs through the Walasi-Yi.

walkin' wally
02-09-2005, 18:37
Question 5;

I have never been to Watauga Lake, I don't know the surface area, so my vote is Flagstaff Lake in Maine. I don't think the AT comes within a quarter mile of Mooselookmeguntic. I believe Flagstaff has a larger surface area too. :-?

The Solemates
02-09-2005, 18:41
Question 5;

I have never been to Watauga Lake, I don't know the surface area, so my vote is Flagstaff Lake in Maine. I don't think the AT comes within a quarter mile of Mooselookmeguntic. I believe Flagstaff has a larger surface area too. :-?

Well it certainly seems close enough to touch in many places, but I guess youre right.

ed bell
02-09-2005, 18:50
# 5 My guess is Lake Fontana

ed bell
02-09-2005, 18:53
#9 Wahah Bald?

TankHiker
02-09-2005, 19:28
#7 (longest ford) = Pleasant River in Maine?
#8 (longest river walk) = The Picataquis in Maine?
#9 (highest tower) = Clingman's Dome

-TANK

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2005, 20:02
Wow. These are great questions. Most have them been answered already, but the longest "tunnels" are probably when the Trail goes under an Interstate highway, which it does in a bunch of places.....North Carolina, Virginia, New Hampshire, etc. Actually, tho, these aren't true "tunnels." The longest real tunnel is probably just before you enter the Zoo in Bear Mountain pPark.

Waterfall? Good question. Maybe Laurel Creek Gorge. Or actually, it's proabably the one in Amicalola Falls State park. Apple Orchard is taller, but's its farther off the Trail.

Highest true lake might indeed be Speck, tho the water at Lakes of the Clouds Hut in NH is probably 1500 feet higher up; I dunno if it counts as a lake.

Largest trailside Lake is almost certainly Watauga, which is much bigger than Mooselookmeguntic, Flagstaff, or Fontana.

Largest true "open" shelter would probably be the Fontana Hilton, tho Bryant Ridge is up there.

Longest ford is in fact the Kennebec, and one is NOT required to take the ferry across. It is merely strongly suggested.

The Old Fhart
02-09-2005, 20:07
2) Mary's Rock (under the A.T.)
4) Speck Pond 3400 feet
8) Rainbow Stream
9) was High Point, currently closed

Cedar Tree
02-09-2005, 20:26
In 2000, I remember going under a bridge that was like a tunnel, somewhere up North, not under a major highway, but a small road in the country. A relatively new bridge with a wide Concrete walk-way the Trail followed, right next to a rushing stream.
CT

Askus3
02-09-2005, 20:45
Since I asked, I am amazed at the interest, immediate response and various answers.

Here is some elaboration based on posts 1-10.

1) Everyone is in agreement on the Bear Mtn. Bridge. Although I was wondering about the Delaware Water Gap Bridge or the crossing of the Potomac.

2) Man-made tunnels - I was thinking like Jack Tarlin, where the AT goes under US 9W before entering the Bear Mtn. Zoo. Which would be interesting that the longest tunnel and bridge are with in 1/2 mile of each other. Where is Walasi-Yi?

Natural - Lemon Squeezer in Harriman Park, NY. Where and what is Mary's Rock?

3) What about Little Wilson Falls in Maine (100 Mile Wilderness) or Katahdin Stream Falls (ascending Katahdin in Baxter Park)? Where is Laurel Creek or Apple Orchard Falls?

4) I would have thought Speck Pond, but then when Jack Tarlin mentioned Lake of the Clouds, I guess I would go with that answer.

5) Where is Wautauga Lake?

6) Do more people use the AT in the southern portion that the largest shelters are down at that end. Maybe the mosquitoes and black flies are more severe in the north so less use of trail shelters. So no need for big ones. I don't know if I can really draw these inferences, but food for thought. Are the big ones old? When were they built? They don't make them like they used to!

7) Ford. I sort of thought that the Pleasant River near Katahdin Iron Works Road was large, but the West Branch of the Piscataquis was up there.

8) River Walks. What about Pierce Pond Stream from Pierce Pond till it flows into the Kennebec? I forgot about the Housatonic in CT, but it is not sustained as you get away to climb St. John Ledges and then come back to it.

9) Nobody mentioned the monument on top of Greylock, MA! How high is it? Is High Point Monument in NJ within a 1/4 mile of the AT. Or what about Bear Mt. tower in NY on west side of bridge. Back to superlatives in that area. Can't count the suspension tower on the bridge itself - ruled it out because it is not open to the public for climbing. I meant the highest tower as I figured Clingman's Dome would be obvious for tower at highest elevation. That is why I did not ask the highest and lowest points on the trail as that is obvious.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2005, 20:59
Clingman's is obviously at a higher elevation, but the actual "tower" isn't that tall. High Point Tower is something like 220' high, almost twice the size of the Greylock War memorial tower.

Wautauga Lake is in Tennessee, the Trail crosses its shore near the town of Hampton, about 40 trail miles south of Damascus, VA.

Laurel Creek is near Dennis Cove, Tennessee, just south of Hampton.

Apple Orchard Falls is in Bedford County Virginia and can be reached in a short hike from mile mark 78 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Mary's Rock is in Shenandoah National Park.

Delaware Water Gap bridge might in fact be longer than Bear Mt., tho Bear Mountain is certainly higher. Good question.

Where's Weathercarrot when you need him? He's memorized all this stuff.
Warren Doyle could also probably tell us, but in truth, I don't need to know badly enough to go find him.

In any case, Askus, good questions, good thread.

prozac
02-09-2005, 21:06
1. While the Bear Mt. Bdidge is probably the longest, the Rte. 22 bridge over the Susequehanna outside Duncannon might be longer. If you count the crossing of the Susquehanna and the Junita as one bridge the Rte. 22 bridge is definately longer.
2. While I've never been to the Fontana Hilton, the biggest I've ever been to is easily the Peters Mt. Shelter.

Askus3
02-09-2005, 21:14
I rephrased question #2 to eliminate Mary's Rock Tunnel in Shenandoah. otherwise probably the tunnel the PA TPK goes thru and under the AT either west of Harrisburg or on the Scranton spur would win that question.

In answer to the Kennebec being a ford. I am quoting the Maine Appalachian Trail Club website: "This ferry service -- not fording -- is the officially sanctioned means of crossing the Kennebec River on the Appalachian Trail."
So I have to dispute Jack Tarlin's comment in post 9 "Longest ford is in fact the Kennebec, and one is NOT required to take the ferry across. It is merely strongly suggested."

Lilred
02-09-2005, 21:28
. Where is Walasi-Yi?

It'a at Neel's Gap. The outfitter's there and a hostel. I think the hostel is called Walasi-Yi. The outfitter is Mountain Crossings, I think. It's pronounced Wall-a-see Yee. I forget what it means. Anyone know?

weary
02-09-2005, 22:08
I doubt if Lake of the Clouds is an acre, at least in the fall, which is when I tend to see it in recent years. Despite the name, I don't think of it as a "lake" just a collection of snow melt that persists through the year.

Speck Pond is clearly an unambiguous choice, an incredibly beautiful wild pond, deep and cold, part of the wildness that makes Maine unique.

Last week I went in for my annual heart checkup. We didn't talk much about my heart valve that had been replaced with a bit of pig skin a couple of years ago. But the Doc had taken his wife and two kids to Speck Pond last summer, and asked if I knew of other high elevation ponds in Maine.

I mentioned Horns Pond on Bigelow, Tumbledown, Chimney on Katahdin, East and West Chairback Ponds. Did I miss any?

Weary

Scaper
02-10-2005, 06:20
What stream is followed for the longest distance. What about the Potomac river in Maryland? The trail is within 1/4 mile for about 2 1/2 miles on the towpath of the C and O canal.

soccersoldier13
02-10-2005, 09:03
What about Fontana for largest lake? I'm not familiar whatsoever with the lakes in Maine, but judging from knowing Fontana, I'd say it wins...it's a hoss.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2005, 09:13
Watauga Lake is bigger. It has 34,200 acres of water surface compared to Fontana's 11,685.

The Old Fhart
02-10-2005, 09:36
Lone Wolf is correct. Watuga is a "fatter" and larger lake while Fontana is thinner and longer. Watuga-19 miles long, Fontana-29 miles long. As you walk along the A.T. near Fontana you will see the 29 mile marker on the opposite shoreline. Apparently these markers are to help boaters know where they are on the long lake.

flyfisher
02-10-2005, 11:04
Largest shelter I have spent the night in was Overmountain shelter in the Roan Highlands, though one might argue at the open front portion. Only part of the shelter is open front.

BTW, I spent the night there on September 27, 2004 when the remains of Hurricane Jeanne was blowing throught the mountains. There were about 20 others in the shelter that night.

http://www.imrisk.com/at_erwin/erwin.htm

Includes a couple pictures of my hammock in the tunnel under the center of the barn.

walkin' wally
02-10-2005, 19:59
If we are talking about surface acres then
Watauga Lake eliminates Flagstaff Lake. The second largest lake in Maine is Sebago and that only has about 33,000 acres. Flagstaff is not close to Sebago's size.

Hi Weary, How about Cloud Pond on Barren Mountain. Wasn't that in your district? I would also suggest Crescent pond near Nahmakanta as a high altitude pond given the depth of the gorge nearby. Neither of those are higher than Speck Pond though. In Maine it is Speck Pond.

The AT follows Rainbow stream for at least three and one half miles to the dam at the lake.( counting the deadwaters ) The stream stays within a quarter mile all the way.
I have never been along the Housatonic. How long is that??

WalkinHome
02-10-2005, 20:07
Where is WeatherCarrot when you need him? LOL. BTW regardless of the ferry, the Kennebec is the longest unbridged body of water crossed on the AT.

Be Safe

The Old Fhart
02-10-2005, 20:45
Cloud Pond=2400 feet, Crescent pond=1035 feet (aprox.)

Askus3
02-11-2005, 01:01
Thru 25 posts, the responses seem to be:

1) Longest bridge: Bear Mtn., or Susquehanna Bridge near Duncannon, or Delaware Water Gap Bridge

2) Longest tunnel: Maybe Rt 9W underpass just west(south) of Bear Mt. Bridge. An underpass under one of a number of interstates. Walasi-Y?
Natural - Lemon Squeezer in Harriman, Piazza Rock or maybe a cave the AT goes thru in Mahoosuc Notch?

3) Highest waterfall - maybe Amicalola but still not resolved.

4) Highest pond. Speck Pond unless you count Lakes of the Clouds.

5) Largest lake. Watauga Lake.

6) Largest Trail shelter. Still being debated. Leading candidates are:
a) Peters Mountain
b) Overnight Mountain
c) Bryant Ridge
d) Partnership
e) Fontana Hilton

7) Longest ford. Still being debated but most seem to agree the Pleasant River. Questioning whether the Kennebec should be counted.

8) Stream/river followings. Still being debated.
a) Housatonic
b) Piscataquis
c) Rainbow
d) Potomac
e) Pierce Pond Stream

9) Tallest tower that is legally climbable. Wahah Bald. High Point in NJ (if it is within 1/4 mile of AT). Others mentioned include Smarts Mt. fire tower, Bear Mt. in NY, Greylock.

10) New question. The oldest shelter (lean-to) on the AT (within a 1/4 mile)still in use? When was it built?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2005, 05:35
#3. Amicalola Falls ain't nowhere near the AT. It's 8 miles away, not 1/4 mile. The falls in Falls Village, Ct. are pretty high.

tribes
02-11-2005, 07:30
Oldest shelter?? West Mtn and Fingerboard shelter (HARRIMAN, NY) I think were built in 1928(according to the ALDHA COMP), long before the many of the existing trails became part of the AT. I think you will hard pressed to come up with anything much older than this. I knowalot ot the older log shelterts in the south were built in the early 30's but they are not quite as old as the two NY ones.

Youngblood
02-11-2005, 08:07
Anyone have and idea of how many shelters have been on the AT since the beginning?

Steve W
02-11-2005, 10:54
#1 Clark's ferry bridge over the Susquehana river by Duncannon. Not as high as Bear Mtn. or Delaware Water Gap, but certainly longer.

The Solemates
02-11-2005, 11:24
I would agree that the bridge over the Suquehanna in Duncannon is the longest. Forgot about that one.

I would also agree that Overmountain Shelter is the largest shelter, although it is really an old barn, and the "open faced shelter" definition could be disputed.

However, the Wayah Bald Tower in NC is not tall at all. I would imagine that its only 25 feet tall. No where near the others that have been mentioned. Regardless, this question should be rephrased. Do you mean the tower that is at the highest elevation on the AT (Which would be Clingmans)? Or do you mean the tower that is the tallest man-made structure along the AT (which Im not sure...guess Id go back to my original guess)? Big difference and I think thats why the answers are so scattered.

rickb
02-11-2005, 11:39
I wonder were Arethusa Falls in NH would rank. I think its the tallest in the Granite State. I need to get a Map, but I think its blue blazable.

Rick

ed bell
02-11-2005, 12:53
Yeah I got the question screwed up in my mind as well as forgetting about Clingmans Dome.

Leki-Less
02-14-2005, 12:55
Amicalola isn't 1/4 of a mile from the trail though. Unless you're counting the Approach Trail. And also, what about the waterfall on the North side of Mt. Moosalauke (sp?) in New Hampshire? Or is that not technically a waterfall, just a really steep river?

walkin' wally
02-15-2005, 15:50
In the photo section of Larry Luxenberg's book "Walking The Appalachian Trail" there is a photo of Crabtree Falls in Virginia. The sidebar says that it is one of the highest waterfalls in the eastern U.S. Is this one a quarter mile from the trail?

Does Katahdin Stream Falls above the bridge on the Hunt Trail qualify?

Footslogger
02-15-2005, 17:02
How about the Falls dropping down into Kinsman Notch on the way down from Moosilake ??

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2005, 22:23
Crabtree Falls is not far off the Trail near the Priest shelter, but it's more than a quarter mile off. Don't remember the exact mileage but it's just over a mile if memory serves. Unless it's a dry season, it's worth the visit.

Hikerhead
02-15-2005, 22:41
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]Crabtree Falls is not far off the Trail near the Priest shelter, but it's more than a quarter mile off. Don't remember the exact mileage but it's just over a mile if memory serves. Unless it's a dry season, it's worth the visit.[/QUOT

It's probably a mile and half from the AT. At the dirt road before climbing to the priest, go down about 1/2 mile to a parking lot they call Crab Tree Meadow, I think that's the name of it. The falls are at least another mile from there on a flat trail. Years ago, before they built the wooden deck over the creek close the edge, somebody would slide off of it about once a year. I think it's listed as 800 some feet high. But it's a cascading water fall. Still a very pretty place.

Hikerhead
02-15-2005, 22:46
Remember the film Dirty Dancing and the big resort? As the crow flys, it's about 2 or 3 miles from the AT. Where is it?

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2005, 23:01
A lot of the movie was filmed at a resort called Mountain Lake, which is in a town called Pembroke, Virginia. It's a few miles from both Bailey Gap and War Spur shelters.

Hikerhead
02-15-2005, 23:57
A lot of the movie was filmed at a resort called Mountain Lake, which is in a town called Pembroke, Virginia. It's a few miles from both Bailey Gap and War Spur shelters.

Bingo. The trail around the lake is home to some of the biggest species of several different trees found in the state. Oh, and the lake has filled back up after almost going dry a few years back when it sprung a leak.