PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Camping Question

wornoutboots
07-27-2011, 14:10
Soory this might not be the proper place to ask this but you all are so informative you might know the answer.

If I bike across the Cherohala Skyway or Blueridge Parkway, can I stop & hang anywhere I want up there for the night?

Thanks

WingedMonkey
07-27-2011, 14:28
There is no camping along the Blue Ridge Parkway right of way. In some places that can be just outside of the roadway, in others it can be 100's of acres. And they will fine you. The best areas or where the Parkway passes through National Forest lands, but you have to be sure you are "over the line", then normal dispersed camping rules are in affect.
Good maps that are fairly accurate of those boundaries are the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps. You can browse them online at:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/category/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps

wornoutboots
07-29-2011, 22:57
Thanks. I was hoping to just drift into the woods a few hundred feet when I was ready to stop for the day. I wouldnt start a fire or anything, just a place to crash & enjoy a great nights rest.

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2011, 08:09
Thanks. I was hoping to just drift into the woods a few hundred feet when I was ready to stop for the day. I wouldnt start a fire or anything, just a place to crash & enjoy a great nights rest.
That's all I do, regardless if it's along Skyline, BR PKY, or out in the boonies

wornoutboots
07-31-2011, 00:01
Thanks John! that's what I'm planning on doing, it kinda reminds me of the freedom of living like the Author of Walking across America (Peters Jenkins if I remember right). Such Great uninhibited Freedom!

WingedMonkey
07-31-2011, 00:11
Yeah, I agree I need that freedom of living too. Next time I'm just gonna ride my bike on the Appalachian Trail and get off that busy Shenandoah Drive. It's my right.