PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hike part of the Bruce Trail in Canada?

dan213
07-27-2011, 19:47
I was looking into a 4-5 day hike next week (would be in and back) and have been looking into hiking part of the Bruce. I'm having a tough time finding info on it and was wondering if anyone here has an experience on it.

I've read that the section that goes through the Bruce Peninsula National Park is the most scenic but I only saw that on 1 site.
If anyone has any experience with this trail I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

The Old Boot
07-27-2011, 21:11
I haven't but here's a trip report for you!
http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2003

Hope it helps.

From what I can understand some/most of the southern parts are really only suitable for day hiking because of the lack of legal camping areas. Besides, the scenic stuff is the northern stretches!!

Lyle
07-28-2011, 07:17
I've hiked a couple of days on the Bruce Trail, part of the Bruce Peninsula section. This was back in the '80s, so my memory is somewhat faded, and conditions may have changed. Started out at the north/west end at Tobermory. Was a very pleasant hike, some rocky beach hiking that was quite a challenge. Great views of the Georgian Bay. Also recall an encounter with a very bold porcupine at the only shelter. Can't recall off hand how far we actually hiked or where we ended, would have to find some maps to refresh myself. I do remember it as a very enjoyable hike though. Recommended.

Also, if you are into scuba, Tobermory is home to an underwater Provincial Park I believe. Many shipwrecks to explore from what I've read.

Lyle
07-28-2011, 07:31
WOW, yeah! I just checked out the trip report linked to above. GREAT Photos. I had forgotten just how beautiful that trail was. I definitely have to get back there again!