PDA

View Full Version : Spring break hike

Decimator
07-28-2011, 09:31
Hey all, so I have been snooping around the forum and reading up on what to pack, etc. but I need some advice. While I am at it I may just ask for a million dollars but this is what I am hoping to find :)
I will be taking an entire week during spring break to hike part of the AT. However I am hoping to take a single day to go snow skiing/boarding, so I need to find a section of the trail that I can hike that is good for intermediate packers, is close to a ski area and has a resupply stop in the middle so my less experienced friends aren't to worried about packing an entire weeks worth of supplies(this isn't that important to me). I would also prefer to have a shuttle or something at the end of the hike to take me back because I would like to not have to double back halfway through but if I have to then I will deal. Last but not least I prefer it be somewhat(or very) secluded.
Thanks for any assist

ScottP
07-28-2011, 09:54
Sounds like you'll need to go to CO or NM if you want to be able to do non-winter hiking and skiing in the same locale

Panzer1
07-28-2011, 10:45
I would say forget about snow boarding and hiking at the same time. Make the snow boarding a seperate trip entirely. Planning will be much easier.

Panzer

northernflight
07-28-2011, 22:50
It would be possible to do that along a few points in NH but the hiking would be very difficult with all the snow. The trail passes close to Cannon, Loon, Attitash, and Wildcat. Maybe it would be possible to do the trail in Virginia and ski wintergreen? There still would be a high chance of snow, and wintergreen isn't that close to the trail itself.