PDA

View Full Version : Waistbelt Case/Pack For Your Backpack

khaynie
02-09-2005, 21:45
I have been looking for a lightweight case/pack that can be threaded through or hooked on to my waistbelt strap of my Osprey Aether 60 backpack. It would be nice to have my camera, map, misc. etc within arms reach...
Does anybody have any ideas? I've seen several clip on contraptions at REI and fanny packs - but they have all looked a little to cumbersome and heavy.
Thanks for your feedback!

SGT Rock
02-09-2005, 22:01
My wife made me one using some nylon strap, a mesh sack from a car washing sponge, and a plastic buckle, weighs about 1.5 ounces.

peter_pan
02-10-2005, 00:17
Find a Hydroseal Pack Pouch by OR....they used to make two sizes ... now just 6x8...zippered, rain flap, initially waterproof ( seal the seams), has two large velcrp straps that let you fasten it just about anywhere...Smee and I have ours on waist belts of the packs...about $ 15....nice Item...mine is about 6-8 year old,works fine but no longer waterproof.

hikerjohnd
02-10-2005, 07:00
I have 2 pouches - one for camera and one for everything else. I got them in the early 90's and they are made by Sun Dog. My main love for the pouches is that they came with straps to fit on a belt or a shoulder strap. A quick google search tells me they are still in business :)

khaynie
02-10-2005, 07:18
Thanks! I will definitely look into it.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-10-2005, 07:32
My wife made me one using some nylon strap, a mesh sack from a car washing sponge, and a plastic buckle, weighs about 1.5 ounces.
An ounce and a half! My goodness man, she's trying to put you in an early grave! Just kidding, naturally.

Singletrack
02-10-2005, 09:21
Brawny and Rainmaker over at dancinglightgear.com have silnylon pouches that slide over your hipbelt. Only about $4.

Tim Rich
02-10-2005, 09:46
I've found that some type of pouch that's accessible without dropping pack is a great addition. I have a Dana Designs rib sack that has a place for a water bottle and enough room for my camera, snack and doodads. I believe mine is a medium and is the wet rib sack. The regular rib sack doesn't include a sleeve for a water bottle.

ToeJam
02-10-2005, 11:30
Hi, Looking at both the hipbelt silnylon one at dancinglight and the Dana design one above... but dumb question, I can't figure out how the Dana Design "rib" ones hook on? All of the pictures I find are from their website which is strangely cropped and I can't even tell what I am looking at!

I am definitely looking for an alternative - previous years I have worn a regular fanny pack and it is always in the way of my hip belt, and I'd love to find a better way to hold my camera, asthma meds, journal, snacks, and notes for the day easily accessible.

Help?

ToeJam
02-10-2005, 11:47
Never mind on the where it goes - I found this finally at their website: http://www.danadesign.com/contact/ Towards the bottom of the FAQ's it shows how to attach it and where.

A question for rib users? Does this get in the way? I have read reviews that go on about them but it just seems it might be kind of bulky right there?

Footslogger
02-10-2005, 11:49
I carried a few different backpacks during my thru-hike in 2003, the Aether 60 being one of them. Rather than rig up something for one specific pack, I located a great fanny pack from Columbia (found mine at the outfitters in Blacksburg, VA). I would put the fanny pack on first and then don and fasten my backpack hip belt. The fanny pack would drape over the hip belt buckle and gave me easy access to wallet, camera, maps and snacks. In fact, the small front pouch of the fanny pack was the perfect size for my digital camera.

One advantage in going that route was you always had your fanny pack with you, whether your pack was on or not. When in town I always had the fanny pack and didn't have to pull together what I needed for food shopping or sightseeing. Problem with a pouch mounted to your backpack is that's where it stays.

Anyway ...just a thought. Definitely a matter of personal preference. Lots of options out there for sure.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TDale
02-10-2005, 11:50
I've got two neoprene cases from WM for camera and glasses that have a belt loop. I used double sided velcro loops to attach them to my shoulder straps. Anywhere you have parallel loops and straps you can do this.

tlbj6142
02-10-2005, 14:54
Take a look at the OR Possum pouches. Size #2 or #3 (#1 is way to small).

Moose2001
02-10-2005, 15:07
I've used a wet rib for two hikes and I love mine. I don't carry water in the bottle. Instead, I carry my camera, in a plastic bag, in that sleeve. Makes it easy to get to. I carry my camera, MP3 player, map, I candy, and a snack. As long as you don't try to cram it full of stuff, it's not bulky at all.

I highly recommend them.