PDA

View Full Version : FT Speed Record

johnnyjohnson2043
07-28-2011, 16:51
I always hear about these records on the AT, especially lately with Jennifer Pharr Davis trying to break the record right now. Does anyone know of a speed record, supported or unsupported, on the FT?

Thanks.

WingedMonkey
07-28-2011, 17:12
If there was it would be difficult to compare one record to another. The Florida Trail has some major loop options. Did they go around the west or east side of Lake Okeechobee? Did they take the west route through Green Swamp or the eastern option through Christmas and into Ocala Forest? Did they travel from Eglin AFB to the beach terminas at Fort Pickens or to the north trail to the Alabama line?

johnnyjohnson2043
07-28-2011, 19:08
Good point. I was just curious if there was anything at all. The question has been bugging me for some reason...maybe I'll call someone at the FTA and see if they have any information.

johnnyjohnson2043
07-28-2011, 19:18
In researching this question I found this website...but not the answer.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi

WingedMonkey
07-28-2011, 19:27
I think you will find that the Florida Trail Association just like the Appalachian Trail Conference does not keep or recognize records for speed or number of times the trail is hiked.

johnnyjohnson2043
07-29-2011, 08:42
Meh. Just thought I'd ask. Seems like the answer will continue to elude me for now. Thanks, though.

mistiaggie
07-31-2011, 00:35
I have been told someone may be trying it within the next year or two. Though, I'm sure there is already a record and no one knows about it. It would be completely possible to do this incredibly quick as there's a lot of road access for the most part and it's flat for running.

I just with more people thru-hiked the trail to bring it to prominence and maybe some of the road walks will be taken back into the woods.

Sly
07-31-2011, 01:02
I think you will find that the Florida Trail Association just like the Appalachian Trail Conference does not keep or recognize records for speed or number of times the trail is hiked.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the ATC is completely unaware of Trail Dog's record that Jen Pharr Davis is about to break, or how many times Warren Doyle has hiked the trail. LOL...

WingedMonkey
07-31-2011, 01:22
Oh yeah, I'm sure the ATC is completely unaware of Trail Dog's record that Jen Pharr Davis is about to break, or how many times Warren Doyle has hiked the trail. LOL...

I wasn't aware that you also now speak for the ATC. Feel free to have Laurie or someone else post here what those records are.
I have great admiration for Miss Phar Davis and her ability to follow one trail from one end to the other, far as I know not a single blue blaze or mountain skipped. I'm sure the Appalachian Train Conservancy will be happy to list her as a 2000 miler once again. And that damn Warren Doyle another fine hiker with no blue blazes or sections skipped. Let me know who has his records at the ATC headquarters.