PDA

View Full Version : 100 miles Wilderness, can I make it shorter?

Math
07-29-2011, 15:28
Hi all,
I'll be visiting Maine (from Italy) in early September for a 2 weeks vacation. Beeing an outdoor enthusiast and a AT dreamer, I would like to spend at least 8/9 days hiking the norther terminus of the trail, ending to Kathadin.
I've read a lot about the HMW and fascinating role it has on a AT thru-hike, but I don't think I have the time to hike it, not to mention the missing experience of managing a 10 days resupply.
It would be great if some of you could point me to some resource or give me advice about how to shorten the "100 miles" to about 50 or 60. I know Jo-Mary Road could be a valid starting point, but all the info I've gathered so far implies having a car, that I'll not have.

I apologize for my English and even more for the silly request.

hikerboy57
07-29-2011, 16:06
you might try doing the mahoosucs instead of the "wilderness". Its beautiful, its challenging and you could do andover,me to gorham, nh with time to spare.its pretty difficult to shorten the 100 miles.you could leave your car at gorham and get a shuttle to andover, hike back.or you could just climb katahdin and spend the rest of the time exploring the area north of katahdin. its remote wild and beautiful.if you decide to go that route, pick up a copy of the AMC Maine mountain guide.

DLANOIE
07-29-2011, 16:39
Have you inquired to Shaws Hostel in Monson, they may be able to shuttle you to the jo mary rd trail crossing???

peakbagger
07-29-2011, 17:03
Contact Shaws, there are several options to cut miles out. Alternatively if you want oo spend more time hiking but pay more up front, you can fly in along the trail via this company http://www.katahdinair.com/trips.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=2. I have not used their services but have met several people who have and all rated them well.

vic_doom69
07-30-2011, 01:43
http://www.100milewilderness.info/Home.html

heres another option

Math
08-01-2011, 06:24
Thanks to everybody for the useful information. Will come back soon with some new questions! ;)

Shutterbug
08-01-2011, 10:11
Contact Shaws, there are several options to cut miles out. Alternatively if you want oo spend more time hiking but pay more up front, you can fly in along the trail via this company http://www.katahdinair.com/trips.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=2. I have not used their services but have met several people who have and all rated them well.

The starting point for planning a hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness is to order maps from the Maine Appalachian Trail Club http://www.matc.org/Store.htm You will use Maps 1, 2 & 3. The MATC maps provide all the details for planning your hike.

If you have 10 days, it is reasonable that you could hike the entire 100 Mile Wilderness From Katahdin to Monson. Managing 10 days of food isn't as difficult as you are imagining.
If you decide to shorten the hike the options mentioned are good ones. I have used the shuttle service from Shaw's. They are based in Monson. I have also used the Minuteman Taxi Service which is based in Millinocket and Katahdin Air. There are others who also provide shuttle service for a fee. It has been my experience that all are reasonable (when compared with similar services in a city).

If I were planning the trip you describe, I would start at Katahdin Stream Campground and climb Mt. Katahdin the first day. Then, I would start hiking south on day two. You could resupply at the General Store at Abol Bridge, again at White House Landing, and end your hike at the Gulf Hagas Parking Lot on the West Plesant River. That is a good place to meet a prearranged shuttle, or if you are flexible there is a good chance you can hitch a ride with a day hiker who is visiting Gulf Hagas.

Uncle Tom
08-01-2011, 12:18
I have used Katahdin Air Service and they can spot you on various places on the 100, different rates, different ponds or lakes. The ride alone in the plane is worth the $$ even if you didn't hike back to your car, which they spot at Abol bridge for free for you. It's an experience you shouldn't miss.

English Stu
08-02-2011, 06:02
Go to,(e-mail ) White house Landing and ask about shuttle to save a day or so, say to Abol Bridge campground.There is float plane Katahdin Air Service I guess not far from WHL to be real quick.