PDA

View Full Version : Sopa and washcloth vs. individual shower wipes

JGCTravellers
07-29-2011, 18:59
I apologize if this has already been posted but I was wondering everyone's opinion on the hygiene matter. I am thinking about bringing those individual soap wipes that you just take out of their package and clean away but am now I'm wondering if the weight would be less if I just took a washcloth and soap. I also thinking that I could use the same soap for dishes and everything else.
So I guess this is a two part question.
1. Which would weigh less: soap and washcloth or individual shower wipes?
2. What is the best soap for the trail? I want something that is eco friendly that isn't too harsh for the body but can really get the dishes clean.
Thanks!!

Deadeye
07-29-2011, 19:35
I use a bar of neutrogena soap and a washcloth on long hikes. Works for me, and the dishes when necessary. the washcloth is one of the synthetic handkerchiefs that come compressed into a little disk the size of a mini bonbel cheese. I carry several of them.

4shot
07-29-2011, 19:50
'letting go" on hygiene, especially daily bathing/showers was a hard part of the trail for me initially. You have to keep your hands clean and the sanitizer works well for that. But mentally you have to let go of bathing daily. It won't matter as you quickly find out that you wil just be putting on dirty clothes and getting sweaty/filthy/grimy again soon anyway. as far as soap for dishes, i and many others didn't use any for cookware on a day to day basis. We merely rinsed our spoon and pot as best we could and figured that would suffice, any bacteria/germs would be destroyed when we boiled water for the next delicious meal of ramen or lipton's. be sure to sanitize your eating utensil at this time by dipping it into the boiling water.

I did carry a little bottle of Dr. bronners to wash my cookware (and/or myself) whilst in town. Also carry baby wipes, a little wipe down with those before going to bed can be a luxury.not sure if this was of any value but best of luck to you.

WingedMonkey
07-29-2011, 20:19
I carry concentrated antibacterial dish soap in a half ounce size Nalgene, for pots (rarely use) and body wash and cleaning gear. Few drops go a long way. I miss washclothes and might take one on a short camp and hike, but on long distance they just never get a chance to dry out and wet ones get nasty.

Blissful
07-29-2011, 20:41
Get back to nature and don't worry about bathing. Towns are frequent enough.

-Ghost-
08-01-2011, 14:46
What Blissful said. Neither is definitely the best option. I would simply use some Stridex type pads for my face each night and thats all. Also, just hand sanitizer to keep your hands clean. I went the whole way doing this and also did my contact lenses each morning and night with no eye issues whatsoever.

Pedaling Fool
08-01-2011, 14:52
Water and a bandana is all that is needed.

garlic08
08-01-2011, 15:46
Another vote for the water and bandanna.