PDA

View Full Version : NH regulars, need some trail help/info. AT, side trail then back onto AT

House of Payne
07-30-2011, 16:49
My son and I are heading up for a long weekend at the end of August. My question for this loop I created with the AT is something I could find no information on in my guidebook or on the maps I have. I知 hoping anyone that may have been here before and may know what I知 asking for.

We are staying a night at the Osgood Camp and heading down towards Dolly Copp via the Osgood tr, the Great Gulf tr and the Great Gulf Link to the trail head. I知 looking to get across rt. 16 and the Peabody river to connect with the north trailhead for the Imp tr. My loop continues on into the Wild River Wilderness on the AT and then back to Pinkham notch a day after.

My question is, from the trailhead of the Great Gulf Link to the no. trailhead of the Imp tr is it manageable to cross here? Also, along with this, if I can cross, is the Imp trailhead right across the road (seen) or maybe a little south?

Anyone that has been to these parts will know what I'm asking

Thanks for any help you can give

Driver8
07-30-2011, 19:32
My question is, from the trailhead of the Great Gulf Link to the no. trailhead of the Imp tr is it manageable to cross here? Also, along with this, if I can cross, is the Imp trailhead right across the road (seen) or maybe a little south?

You might need to road walk Rt. 16, not sure - there's a parking lot for the Great Gulf Trailhead near Rt 16 about 0.8 south from Imp's s. trailhead. The road is broad and clear and the Imp trailheads arewell marked - was up there last week with friends and hiked out of Pinkham for the day, so I took note of them. Not sure if fording the river closer to the Imp trailheads is difficult or fenced off. Maybe a local can weigh in on that.

House of Payne
07-30-2011, 20:02
You might need to road walk Rt. 16, not sure - there's a parking lot for the Great Gulf Trailhead near Rt 16 about 0.8 south from Imp's s. trailhead. The road is broad and clear and the Imp trailheads arewell marked - was up there last week with friends and hiked out of Pinkham for the day, so I took note of them. Not sure if fording the river closer to the Imp trailheads is difficult or fenced off. Maybe a local can weigh in on that.

Thanks for your input Driver. I just pulled out the topo to look at what you described, looks like your right on the money with the .8 mi south of the northern imp trailhead. I think if nobody else can help me out with getting across the river and rt 16 I might take your advice and get off at the great gulf trailhead and walk the .6 mi or so to the southern imp trailhead instead. Thanks again... :D

Driver8
07-30-2011, 20:45
Thanks for your input Driver. I just pulled out the topo to look at what you described, looks like your right on the money with the .8 mi south of the northern imp trailhead. I think if nobody else can help me out with getting across the river and rt 16 I might take your advice and get off at the great gulf trailhead and walk the .6 mi or so to the southern imp trailhead instead. Thanks again... :D

Sounds like a plan, H/p. Have you hiked up there before. 7/19 was my first time, and it was much, much harder than what I'd seen before in CT, MA and VT. Whole other kettle of fish. Beautiful, though, big-time.

Driver8
07-30-2011, 20:47
P.S. The river is running kinda low now as of 11 days ago, so it in itself appears to be easily fordable. You might stop there and survey the landscape. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Slo-go'en
07-30-2011, 21:24
Fording the river where the Great Gulf link trail comes out at Dolly Copp is probably not a good idea. The river is pretty wide there and the banks pretty steep. It would be both difficult and dangerous to try.

You will need to cross at either the Great Gulf parking lot and hike south on Rt 16 a bit to the Imp trail or hike through Dolly Copp camp ground until you can cross the Peabody at the camp ground entance road, then hike north on 16 a bit. The first option would be the shortest.

Driver8
07-30-2011, 21:52
You will need to cross at either the Great Gulf parking lot and hike south on Rt 16 a bit to the Imp trail or hike through Dolly Copp camp ground until you can cross the Peabody at the camp ground entance road, then hike north on 16 a bit. The first option would be the shortest.

Isn't it north on 16 from Great Gulf Tr. parking and south​ from Dolly Copp?

House of Payne
07-30-2011, 23:06
Isn't it north on 16 from Great Gulf Tr. parking and south​ from Dolly Copp? Thanks driver, you beat me to it. I believe he had his north-south in reverse. Other than that I understood what he was saying. I think before I park at pinkham ill go have a look see up the road to help decide what to do. Thanks again fellas.

peakbagger
08-01-2011, 07:19
There is a way of saving the road walk by taking an old route of the Imp trail. Cross the river via the bridge at Great Gulf, then walk down the road less than a quarter of a mile to the Camp Dodge road. Hike up the camp dodge road and go up the main road through the facility (which is a summer base of operation for AMC). You stay roughly left of all the major buildings with the exception of one bunkhouse that has old trail signs mounted on it. The Camp Dodge road turns into a logging road that goes into the woods and and turns into a logging road. There is a beaten out path along the road. Follow the road up hill which gradually curves left. After less than 1/2 mile you will cross the south branch of the Imp trail. There is not a sign at the intersection but the trail is obvious. Do note that the South Imp trail goes south for a while before it take a broad turn and heads north up a very well graded old logging road which ends at the junction of North Carter Trail.

The section of of the South Imp trail that you skip is nothing special, it was a reroute to get hikers out of camp doge and to make the Imp into more of a loop long ago. Its close enough to the road that in spots that you get traffic noise. Winter hikers (ans some summer hikers use the Camp Dodge cut off as a way of bagging the Carters as a long day hike. Most of the long time AMC' folks will know the route but there are a groups of volunteers just at Dodge for the week who may not know of the cut off so if you do ask direction make sure the person you ask has a clue.

Do note that the Osgood campsite gets heavy use in the summer and that there were bear issues for several years in a row. Definitely bear bag and expect that you will not a get a platform. There is plenty of flat camping in the woods along the Osgood cutoff.

House of Payne
08-01-2011, 17:31
Thanks for the info Peak, sent you an email with a few questions for clarification.

Slo-go'en
08-01-2011, 18:10
I just checked out the river crossing at the Dolly Copp/Great Gulf link parking lot. I stand corrected, not as bad as I thought. Water level is way down, but you can't quite get across without getting your feet wet. I'd say over the ankles in a couple of spots. The rocks are big, round and polished smooth, so don't do it bare foot! Insignificant bank at the Dolly Copp side, short scramble up the bank on the other. Even so, Peakbaggers short cut through Camp Dodge would keep your feet dry and cut a mile or more off the trip. Although the ford is okay now, earlier in the spring it would be desperate.

Decided to do a short RMC trail which is on the Pinkham B road to get it off the list, and Dolly Copp wasn't all that much farther away, which is why I went and checked.

House of Payne
08-01-2011, 18:19
I just checked out the river crossing at the Dolly Copp/Great Gulf link parking lot. I stand corrected, not as bad as I thought. Water level is way down, but you can't quite get across without getting your feet wet. I'd say over the ankles in a couple of spots. The rocks are big, round and polished smooth, so don't do it bare foot! Insignificant bank at the Dolly Copp side, short scramble up the bank on the other. Even so, Peakbaggers short cut through Camp Dodge would keep your feet dry and cut a mile or more off the trip. Although the ford is okay now, earlier in the spring it would be desperate.

Decided to do a short RMC trail which is on the Pinkham B road to get it off the list, and Dolly Copp wasn't all that much farther away, which is why I went and checked.

Thanks slo. am looking into peaks advice as well as yours. Like the look of the shorter trip through Camp Dodge :)