PDA

View Full Version : Money for the whole hike

hikerjohnd
02-10-2005, 07:11
Just wondering about my financing - My hike is being funded by my school on a reimbursement system. Because of that, most of my resupply has to be maildrops (they have a list of approved retailers they will reimburse for without question...) That aside, I have $1200 in cash saved for all other expenses. Is that going to be enough? I can find more, with creative financing, but if postage and general resupply is covered - and equipment is bought, and back-up gear is on hand, I am hoping my savings will cover everything else - what do you all think? Thanks!

hungryhowie
02-10-2005, 09:46
Just wondering about my financing - My hike is being funded by my school on a reimbursement system. Because of that, most of my resupply has to be maildrops (they have a list of approved retailers they will reimburse for without question...) That aside, I have $1200 in cash saved for all other expenses. Is that going to be enough? I can find more, with creative financing, but if postage and general resupply is covered - and equipment is bought, and back-up gear is on hand, I am hoping my savings will cover everything else - what do you all think? Thanks!

I did the entire trail including buying about half of my food, replacement gear, and greyhound fare for $1700 5 years ago, so it can definately be done for $1200 if resupply is already covered.

I recommend budgeting wisely, especially at the beginning. Divide your total budget by the number of planned resupply points + at least 3 extra stops to come up with a dollar figure that you're allowed for each town. When you reach that number, it's time to leave town.

Example, 18 planned resupplies + 5 (let's be safe, here) bonus stops = 23 total spots = $52 at each stop.

It's easy to blow $52 in a town, but it's easy to get through a town stop with much less than that too. A hostel typically costs about $10-15/night, so that still leaves you $30-40 for a real meal and a little entertainment.

A tip that I like to share is to plan your days so that you can camp about a mile from town on the last night out. The next day, you can walk into town, and either get your resupply done and get back out, or you can spend the entire day in town and maximize your time there and lounging at the hostel.

-howie

jeepcj258
02-10-2005, 10:08
How are you getting funding from your school. Is this school or is this work?? Do tell, please. I may need to look into this.

Thanks
God Bless
Seth

chris
02-10-2005, 10:56
The $1200 for replacing gear, transit, and town stops should be ok as long as you are not a spending machine. Get your hotel/motel fixes out of your system before you leave Duncannon, since after that there are no more cheap motels for rather a while. Avoid bars, and instead buy beer at a gas station. Limit zero days, although this doesn't mean none. Shoot for overnights in places that have hostels or equivalent inexpensive lodging (including intown camping).

hikerjohnd
02-10-2005, 11:11
How are you getting funding from your school. Is this school or is this work?? Do tell, please. I may need to look into this.

Thanks
God Bless
Seth
I am a Public History Major and my Master's Thesis is an Ethnographic Study of Northbound Thru-Hikers. The study is mostly based on observations, with some interviews. I figure campfire discussions will cover most of what I need. I took my proposal to the graduate student council and asked for funds - jumped through a few hoops - and got $4500 in funding. Because of some red tape, that $4500 can only be applied to food, travel (to and from trail), and lodging (discovered after I submitted receipts for gear) and it all has to be reimbursed. I'm planning to save as many receipts as I can, but I doubt I'll realize the whole amount.

Most Universities have some kind of funding process for students to do research out of town - Study Abroad programs and the like - look into your Student Affairs office - that's where the $$$ is! Good Luck!

And yes, the thesis is just the excuse to finally hike the trail - I've been dreaming of doing it since the 5th grade! :D

--John

jeepcj258
02-10-2005, 16:33
That is out standing. I am also working on my thesis right now, but I seriously doubt that I could talk my advisor into funding a thru hike. I think I would be all over it if I could.

God Bless
Seth

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2005, 16:58
John:

As others have said, you should be able to do it, provided you use great discipline with your town time. In shorrt, if money is tight, get to town, get your town stuff done ASAP, and then GET OUT. It's hard to spend money in the woods or on top of a mountain.

Other considerations: Do you drink? Smoke cigarettes or anything else?
Any or all of these can add greatly to one's budget.

To be on the safe side, I'd try and come up with at least another three to five hundred dollars, or, whatever figure you end up with as a budget, try and add 10 to 15 per cent for emergencies and unforeseen things.

You might also want to check out Weathercarrot's excellent article in the "Information" section that deals with hiking on a tight budget.

ARambler
02-10-2005, 17:27
If there is more than $ 600 available for food, lodging, and return transportation, figure out how to get more financing.

1) There will be lots of expenses that are not reimbursable that add up (more gear to keep Baltimore in Jack (D), your Jack D, laundry, calling/post cards, bouncing extra food/gear ahead/home etc.)
2) You will probably not collect as many receipts as you would hope. Lots of hostels are on a donation basis.
3) It is easy to spend twice $1200 on the trail, even if you are "fully" resupplied from PO's. I spent almost $2400 without any expenses for zero days or 35 food packages mailed to me. Therefore, after subtracting expenses in #1 and #2 above, you will have plenty of expenses to get reimbursed if you have the cash to spend.
These forums give a lot of good advice for getting by on the minimum, but the average expenses get under reported. Some hikers with $1200 have left the trail due to lack of funds, but you should be able to budget your expenses with that amount if you have to.

Peaks
02-11-2005, 20:57
Myself, I think that $1200 isn't enough. Like Jack says, you need to be very good about staying out and getting out of town.
Too bad, because it's nice to get a break from being on the trail day in and day out.

Read other threads posted here. You might consider doing some short time work along the way.

Flash Hand
02-12-2005, 02:17
Also, don't forget that some hostel or room providers would allow you to work for stay. If you can also take advantage of that too.

Flash Hand :jump

NotYet
02-12-2005, 13:41
Because I was raising money for a cause on my thru-hike, I also had to keep track of receipts. All the hostels that I stayed in were able to provide me one when I asked...many that are run on a donation basis should still have that capability.