PDA

View Full Version : Straight out of the shipping box

Silverstone
07-31-2011, 10:37
Hey gang--

After 1) realizing that the previous Eureka tent I had would be hopelessly inadequate, and 2) browsing around here and getting tipped off about the REI Quarterdome T2 being on clearance, I busted out the ol' Mastercard. I was hoping to just get one at the local REI, but they were out of them and I had to order online.

I would've preferred to pick it up at the store so that I could ask all the right questions, but that wasn't an option.

Anyhow, what I really need to know is, do I need to do any extra waterproofing or seam sealing when I first get it, or is it 100% good to go right out of the box? Do any of you guys use the spray cans (or any other method) of waterproofing stuff on your tents, and if so, which kind do you prefer? I won't be hitting the trail until 2013, but I live in Tennessee and it seems to rain about two out of every seven days here (love the greenery, but it sure comes with a price!), so the gear will be well broken-in by the time I start walkin' for real.

I just want to make all of the mistakes now and figure out all the little things that make me go 'Hey--I would've never thought of that'. But I'm new to this backpacking thing, so some of my questions may be pretty basic.

Thanks for the help!

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 11:39
I've never seam sealed a tent in my life...if yours leaks, buy better quality. LOL
Seriously, I've had Eureka's, Quest's, TNF, Kelty's, MSR's, a Brawny tarp tent, a GoLite, several tarps and a 6 person Coleman...the Coleman is the only one that ever leaked and that was because the fly is too short for serious rain.

geek

House of Payne
07-31-2011, 11:58
In comparison, I've always had to (by choice) either seam seal my tents, had the manufacturer seam seal the tent or purchased tents that had factory seam tape already in place (right out of the box). I can't understand how some tents would be 'ok' with no seam seal or tape and the new owner thinking it will be alright to use when realistically they are not. I don't believe factory stitching of the seams is waterproof when you recieve a new tent.

Bearpaw
07-31-2011, 12:16
I worked at the Brentwood REI for nine years and I know the tent you are talking about well. The fly comes with factory taped seams. If you look closely on the inside of the fly at the seams, you will see what looks almost like scotch tape. This is the tape on the seam.

You do not need to seam seal this tent. If there is a leak in the fly, there is some defect in the taping. Return the tent. But a leak just isn't likely to happen.

Iceaxe
07-31-2011, 12:23
Smart to buy it from REI. You can always have a replacement sent out if it ever fails you.
There is another reason to seam seal tents and gear besides water proof-ness.
Seam sealing or seam grip stabilizes the stitching. Particularly for stitches that get a lot of abrasion wear. The silicone will provide protection and also prevent thread from unravelling should a stitch break.
If you do decide to seam seal I recommend setting the shelter up taut. Seam seal and let dry. Before you stow it dust the seam sealed areas with un scented baby powder or equivalent to prevent stickiness.
As for the spray on Durable water repllant treatments, i have never had and lasting success. After 10 or more stuffings into the pack these treatments fail. YMMV

Texico
07-31-2011, 12:55
I work at the Buford, GA, REI. I also own the Quarterdome T2. The tent comes factory sealed on both the fly and the bathtub floor. It's an awesome tent! The only thing I would recommend for it would be to treat it with some Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof for added UV protection, which can cause the fabric to degrade over time.

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 12:59
I work at the Buford, GA, REI. I also own the Quarterdome T2. The tent comes factory sealed on both the fly and the bathtub floor. It's an awesome tent! The only thing I would recommend for it would be to treat it with some Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof for added UV protection, which can cause the fabric to degrade over time.
Texico,
Always knew that UV was bad for the equipment but didn't know about the Nikwax...does REI sell this?...my daughter works at the Pittsburgh store...LOL, seems that I can get ahold of you easier than her!

geek

Texico
07-31-2011, 14:06
Jim,

REI does carry the Nikwax Solarproof, and it looks like the Pittsburgh store should have some in stock right now (only store in Pennsylvania which should at the moment). You should get your daughter to pick some up for you!

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 19:05
Thanks Texico, I'll have it at home tomorrow night!

geek

Sierra Echo
07-31-2011, 19:09
Just get some camp dry from walmart and spray your fly with it.

Silverstone
07-31-2011, 19:16
Just get some camp dry from walmart and spray your fly with it.

As difficult as it may be, I'll try to keep that remark in context...:D

But thanks again everyone--and I never thought about UV protection, either.

Sierra Echo
07-31-2011, 19:19
As difficult as it may be, I'll try to keep that remark in context...:D

But thanks again everyone--and I never thought about UV protection, either.

Please don't ever try and behave around me. I find that boring!

4Bears
07-31-2011, 23:19
Please don't ever try and behave around me. I find that boring!

Never get the lid back on that can of worms Sierra. LOL

Sierra Echo
08-01-2011, 06:30
Never get the lid back on that can of worms Sierra. LOL

Probably not~! LOL