PDA

View Full Version : Sweating on the Trail

P-Train
07-31-2011, 17:24
I wear synthetic shirts and really like them. However, like anything else they seem to get heavy after a hot hike.

I switch out with another syn shirt when I need to. You ever tie your sweaty shirt over your pack to air dry it?

What's the best method to dry your shirt out and keep moving?

dillard
07-31-2011, 18:08
I usually throw mine in a mesh sack that i attach to my pack with a caribiner... I would be weary of not attaching it somehow since things on the outside of the pack have a tendency to get lost more easily.

30 Large
07-31-2011, 18:31
One of the methods I do is make a loop around the top of my pack with my bearbag cord (basically from shoulder strap to shoulder strap) and run the cord through the sleeves. It lets the shirt hang off the back of my pack without having to worry about losing it. Usually drys in about 15min then I will put it back in my pack when it dries.

JaxHiker
07-31-2011, 18:37
I've found that in Florida or along the AT I don't need the ice axe loops on my pack. Now they're laundry loops. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Jim Adams
07-31-2011, 18:51
usually if it is that hot I wear cotton T-shirts. They stay wet from the sweat and cool you more than synthetic does. synthetic material is made to move the moisture off of your skin but that moisture is your cooling system in hot weather. when I get into camp I remove the sweaty T, rinse it out and hang it up to dry. then I wash up and put on a dry T. in the morning the cotton T is still very damp but sweat free and the cooling process starts over for the day.

geek

Grampie
08-01-2011, 07:49
If you are a long distance hiker the choices are few. When you are done for the day, put on a dry shirt and hang the other shirt up to dry. One of the fond memorys of my thru was getting out of my warm dry sleeping bag and putting on the not dry shirt to start my hiking day. It goes along with using some privies.
Happy trails to all that venture into the woods.:sun

hikerboy57
08-01-2011, 08:00
[QUOTE=Jim Adams;1186132]usually if it is that hot I wear cotton T-shirts. They stay wet from the sweat and cool you more than synthetic does. synthetic material is made to move the moisture off of your skin but that moisture is your cooling system in hot weather. when I get into camp I remove the sweaty T, rinse it out and hang it up to dry. then I wash up and put on a dry T. in the morning the cotton T is still very damp but sweat free and the cooling process starts over for the day.
I do the same. when its hot, theres nothing wrong with cotton( so long as you have another base to change to should it get cool or wet), and I do stay cooler. I dont mind the dampness in the morning, aftr 10 minutes of hiking, im comfortable.

TheStu
08-18-2011, 21:39
I usually throw mine in a mesh sack that i attach to my pack with a caribiner... I would be weary of not attaching it somehow since things on the outside of the pack have a tendency to get lost more easily.

Similar to this, I use the mesh enclosure on the back of my ULA CDT (I think it's a feature that most of the ULA product line has?) to put clothes in, and they're usually dry by the end of the day, assuming it's sunny out.

garlic08
08-18-2011, 23:37
The best method I've found to deal with this issue is to only bring one shirt. I wash it when I can and put it back on wet to dry it out. If I can't wash it (no water or too cold) I'll just stink for another day or two.