PDA

View Full Version : Keepin toasty...?

conburn
07-31-2011, 22:58
I'm trying to figure out what clothes I should bring for a March 15-April 1 start date next year. I have rain gear covered, so I'm just concerned about staying warm. So, how many socks? long underwear? fleece jacket? etc etc etc. Also it might help to say that I'm a cold sleeper and currently have a hammock paired with a ridgerest 3/4's and a jacks r better no sniveller 20 degree quilt. I was thinking about getting a balaclava and a patagonia r2 fleece but that's as far as i got.
I'm aiming for this :), not this :(, but would settle for this :banana. Any thoughts??

Silverstone
08-01-2011, 08:50
I'm probably the least experienced guy on this forum, but one thing I *have* learned about fleece and the outdoors is to get a pullover 3/4-zip type of fleece jacket. If you get a full zipper type instead of a pullover, and the zipper breaks out in the middle of nowhere, you're screwed--no way to keep it close unless you have a bunch of safety pins. And that doesn't work very well either. The pullover type eliminates that potential issue, and with a 3/4 zip top, for some reason, those zippers never break, so you call pull it up to your chin if it's cold, or unzip for some ventilation before having to stop and take it all off.

Wise Old Owl
08-01-2011, 09:11
I'm probably the least experienced guy on this forum, but one thing I *have* learned about fleece and the outdoors is to get a pullover 3/4-zip type of fleece jacket. If you get a full zipper type instead of a pullover, and the zipper breaks out in the middle of nowhere, you're screwed--no way to keep it close unless you have a bunch of safety pins. And that doesn't work very well either. The pullover type eliminates that potential issue, and with a 3/4 zip top, for some reason, those zippers never break, so you call pull it up to your chin if it's cold, or unzip for some ventilation before having to stop and take it all off.

This is the difference between a kmart fleece and a REI/EMS fleece - 300 weight fleece will have a physically bigger zipper and bigger price. The products zipper is much improved over a cheap knockoff..

For example : check out POLARTEC.

RevLee
08-01-2011, 10:01
I started March 1st last year following the Mountain Crossings method (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4), and had no problems with the snow. For the earlier start I added a thin balaclava, a windstopper beanie, and two pairs of light fleece gloves (one to hike in, one dry pair for camp). For socks I had two pair for hiking and a lighter pair for sleeping. The insulating jacket was a Montbell Thermawrap synthetic. Can't speak to the hammock, they are just too cold for me in the winter (but I've never tried an underquilt).

Just be sure to experiment with your gear this winter. If it can get you through a Chicago winter, you will do fine.

moldy
08-01-2011, 10:26
I fear that your fear of the cold will cause your pack weight to be so excessive that you will be worn out by the time you get to Neels Gap. You will want to mail about half of it home. You need to work out a system that can only be gained by experience. My advice, take a 3 day shakedown trip in October and go 15 miles per day in the Midwest or 10 miles per day if you can travel to some mtn's. It's good to get info here from others who have experience but you should expect a bell curve of advice from one extreme to the other. Somewhere between too much weight and too much cold is a spot for you. I started out the same way. I had to work out my own system. Don't worry about extreme cold in late March and April because on the AT in this area you will just have to come off the mountain and go into town. That what everyone else does anyway. Even those who have 60 pound packs.

Blissful
08-01-2011, 13:55
You'll freeze in that hammock set up. It can still get to single digits in March.
Need midweight undies, like smartwool. Hat and gloves. I took a down jacket and a fleece top b/c I get cold easily. I also had a long sleeve smartwool top to hike in. A windshirt is nice for really windy March days on the ridgeline.

conburn
08-01-2011, 21:28
I hearya moldy, that is a good idea. Hopefully I can hit the Ice Age trail up north. Thanks for the link Revlee, that really helped. Did you use a hammock Blissful? If so, what was your sleep system? Thanks everybody!!!

Lyle
08-02-2011, 10:14

Well, this is a valid consideration and the reason why I tend toward top loading packs as opposed to panel loading. But in reality, just carry a needle and some dental floss and it's quite easy, even with just rudimentary sewing skill, to turn you blown-out zipper fleece into a pull-over.

Now, about a suggestion for the OP.
Today I tend to prefer a primaloft insulating layer. I have a Patagonia MicroPuff vest and a hooded REI Gossamer Jacket (no longer available, but similar are). I always carry one of these depending on expected conditions or both for real cold. They are much more compressible than fleece, lighter, and work very well even in wet conditions.

Protect whatever you take from getting damp. Do not, as a general rule, count on it for warmth while hiking, keep it for camp. Carry enough wool/synthetic layers and wind layers to take care of your hiking needs. You will be surprised at how warm two or three layers of lighter garments will keep you while you are moving. PolyPro is cheap and effective, Merino Wool is great, Silk is very light, tiny, and surprisingly warm. I carry a light wool set of long underwear for hiking, and keep a silk set for camp/sleep. This keeps my sleeping bag clean if I choose not to carry a silk liner. Do not start off with too many layers in the morning, and risk damping them with sweat. Start with what you know will be comfortable in 15 to 20 minutes after you start hiking. Perfectly ok to be a little chilled when you first start the day, it won't last long. This will assure your warm layers to be dry and 100% effective in the evening when they are needed most.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!!

Serial 07
08-02-2011, 10:54
balaclava is essential...i love wool...i also like 1/4 zips for my second layer, as this provides some temp adjustment...make sure your gloves aren't fleece! waterproof is best...try making a couple snow balls in fleece gloves and see how dry your hands are...fleece is the worst on the trail, i spent full days waiting for wet gloves to dry in cold, cloudy temps...let's see, here's what i use:

long sleeve wool top
patagonia 2 capilene 1/4 zip
short sleeve hiking shirt
montbell therma wrap
rain jacket

synthetic (i'll go for weight savings here) long bottoms
convertible pants
the lightest pair of gym shorts i have

3 pairs of socks (one solely for sleeping, nice and wool based)

next year, i'm thinking of changing that a little and switching my convertible pants for dri duck pants...5 oz of waterproof pant sounds good and when it's nice i'll hike in my swim trunks...if you are a super cold sleeper, i just bought some down booties for the winter, 5 oz and my feet are fantastically warm in real cold temps...RAB makes nice gear...finally, i'm a cold sleeper in a tent with no hammock experience, but in 07 i left on 3/21 and found my 20* wasn't good enough on more than a few occasions...the smokies were real cold that year...next year, i'm leaving in april and bringing a 20* bag...sea to summit make some nice bag liners...

good luck, hope to see ya out there!

conburn
08-04-2011, 09:02
Thanks Serial and Lyle, you two helped a lot!!