PDA

View Full Version : Shoe size? Does foot grow on thru?

Stats 2012
07-31-2011, 23:59
I've read that one's feet grow/spread out during a thru. I'm off to buy new trail shoes in a couple of days and was curious if I should buy a size larger than normal? Can any thru-hikers attest to this foot growth and if so tell me how you dealt with this issue on your thru? Half sizes aren't an option for me, for I normally wear a size 12. (The next size up is 13 in most shoes.) Thanks in advance!

ChinMusic
08-01-2011, 00:14
I'd like to know if this is an age issue as well on thru. It seems to me the younger folks notice more of a size change than older folks. I know my own feet are a larger size than they were in my 20s.

Panzer1
08-01-2011, 02:08
I don't know.

Panzer

The Solemates
08-01-2011, 08:52
my shoe size never changed. i wear a 13. i hiked the trail in my 20s.

my wife's shoe size never changed. she wears an 8. she hiked the trail in her 20s.

Colter
08-01-2011, 09:04
On the AT my feet "grew" significantly. On subsequent long hikes my feet haven't grown during the hike. I don't have trouble with foot swelling, but many people do.

How have your feet fared on other multi-day hikes? You can use that as a guideline. If you are using trail runners or similar you'll be replacing shoes along the way and can adjust accordingly.

The Solemates
08-01-2011, 10:26
i think it has a lot to do with how sedentary you were prior to hitting the trail. prior to hitting the trail i weightlifted a lot. i've also played basketball 2-3 days a week my entire life. my feet weren't going to stretch out anymore because they were used to the abuse. likewise, my wife is a runner.

Jim Adams
08-01-2011, 12:34
they don't grow so much as flatten and spead out from all of the walking with extra weight.
I wore a size 9 in 1989 before my first thru. 10 1/2 after the thru.
since 2 thrus, 1000 miles of pct and alot of local trails, I now wear a size 11 1/2....yes it is weird! I have the feeling that ultralighters will change less than heavier packs but nothing to prove that....ask MS if his changed.

geek

peakbagger
08-01-2011, 13:03
Used to wear a size 13 wide for years. It wasnt until I started section hiking the AT, that I had to go to the same size but 4 E.

Pokey2006
08-01-2011, 13:03
I've gone from an 8.5 to a 9.5 over 5 years of hard-core hiking (including 2 thrus). My feet did swell considerably during my hike, but usually only when I was taking a zero day. My advice? Bring expandable camp shoes (like Tevas) and go with your current size, but get a pair of running shoes that can be easily replaced if your feet do grow/swell during your hike. There's no need for heavy-duty boots on the AT, unless you plan to encounter snow.

Ewker
08-01-2011, 13:14
I use to wear a 10.5 for as long as I can remember. I went yesterday and got remeasured for some boots...size 12 wide. My feet are flatter than they use to be but not to the point of being totally flat footed

Jeff
08-01-2011, 13:48
I agree with the posts above. And just to confirm, my shoe size did NOT go back down after a long distance hike.

garlic08
08-01-2011, 15:57
My feet spread out a bit on my first thru, but not since. I also think I found out that a larger shoe size was more comfortable for hiking. I did not "stockpile" shoes before that first hike, so as they wore out every 700 or 800 miles, I bought a larger or wider size. It's easy enough to buy new shoes on the AT if that happens to you.

Stats 2012
08-01-2011, 16:05
Thanks for the input, y'all. I've noticed that my foot has spread out in the two years of my training, but I assumed it would be worse on the thru. Perhaps my feet are done growing.

I've been debating boots vs trail shoes for a while, and as much as it pains me I am leaning toward the shoes. Colter, your point of buying new trail runners (larger if necessary) is a good thought.

As much as I hate to think about making my thru-hike without boots, there are many compelling reasons to go with trail runners or ankle-high hiking shoes at least.

Spokes
08-01-2011, 17:30
My feet stayed the same. I've been running marathons and ultras for years and consider that a factor.

I always try on hiking boots and shoes late to compensate for the natural tendency of swelling feet.

House of Payne
08-02-2011, 17:48
i think it has a lot to do with how sedentary you were prior to hitting the trail. prior to hitting the trail i weightlifted a lot. i've also played basketball 2-3 days a week my entire life. my feet weren't going to stretch out anymore because they were used to the abuse. likewise, my wife is a runner.

I'm alot like you on this, I play hoops 3x a week as well and my feet have changed big time in the last 8-10 years. Through the abuse of playing and hiking my arches finally fell and my size 12 for the last 20 years has now changed to a 13. And depending on which brand of shoe I decide to hike with I have to consider, at the least, swelling not so much growing. With Merrels I have to purchase size 14 shoe for a size 13 foot.

couscous
08-02-2011, 19:07
Having extra room in the toe box so you're not jamming your toenails on the downhills can prevent losing some toenails.