PDA

View Full Version : The Future of AT Protection

Tim Rich
02-10-2005, 09:30
Greetings,

Would any like to provide their view of what additional, realistic steps should be taken for AT protection? I figure if we put it in its own thread, perhaps other threads will remain on topic.

Wishful thinking, for sure.

Take Care,

Tim

Lone Wolf
02-10-2005, 09:36
Who cares? It's just gonna turn into another thread of ranting and raving know-it-alls. Pave the trail. Fence it. :D

Tim Rich
02-10-2005, 09:43
Who cares? It's just gonna turn into another thread of ranting and raving know-it-alls. Pave the trail. Fence it. :D

It's not the fencing, it's the CROSS-FENCING... :D

TJ aka Teej
02-10-2005, 10:30
Land Trust Conservation Buyers Program
The Land Trust Conservation Buyers Program connects land near the A.T. with people who want to buy land near the A.T. to live on and protect. Properties now available in Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and Virginia. To get on the Conservation Buyers list, contact the ATC at [email protected] ([email protected]).

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/buyers/index.html

I have tried to find AT abutting land for sale in Maine, but I could find nothing on the open market adjacent to the AT corridor. Weary, what specific land is the MATC looking to buy?

Tim Rich
02-10-2005, 10:42
Land Trust Conservation Buyers Program
The Land Trust Conservation Buyers Program connects land near the A.T. with people who want to buy land near the A.T. to live on and protect. Properties now available in Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and Virginia. To get on the Conservation Buyers list, contact the ATC at [email protected] ([email protected]).

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/buyers/index.html

I have tried to find AT abutting land for sale in Maine, but I could find nothing on the open market adjacent to the AT corridor. Weary, what specific land is the MATC looking to buy?

We have land trusts active in west Georgia and east Alabama that look to hook up buyers interested accepting conservation restrictions. I may well go that route for my retirement property.

weary
02-10-2005, 11:26
I have an email attachment map that I asked the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust to generate that illustrates the challenge facing the trail in Maine. Unfortunately I don't know how to send the attachment to WhiteBlaze. Essentially the map shows 3 million acres that abuts the trail in Maine, land that used to be owned by paper companies and use to provide raw materials for Maine mills. Now that land has all been sold by the paper companies to land investment companies, who are in the business of selling land and developing land.

Our MAT Land Trust has talked with all these companies, and has purchased land from one of them -- the summit ridge of Abraham and some land on the southern slopes of Saddleback. We currently are concentrating on paying back the $200,000 mortgage we took out to buy these two parcels.

The mortgage must be paid by next October and we need another $100,000 to do so.

In my experience with land trusts -- which goes back 30 years -- the first purchase is always the most difficult. After an initial success we will gain credibility, making future efforts easier.

The ATC conservation buyer program is an excellent plan for more heavily populated states. It's not a program that fits very well with what is happening in Maine. The official policy of the state is to discourage development of what use to be called wild lands. Sadly, strong efforts are underway to change that policy. But until that happens it would be counterproductive for our land trust to encourage development near the trail in return for a promise to preserve a buffer abutting the trail.

Keep in mind that fewer than 12,000 people now live in the 10 million acres -- half the state -- with no organized municipal governments.

Any advice about how to attach to WhiteBlaze what is now an email attachment sent to me will be appreciated. REcognize that my knowledge of such computer techniques is very limited.

Weary

Alligator
02-10-2005, 12:58
Weary,

The following types of file extensions are valid for upload

bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip (all have.).

If the file does not have one of these extensions, you could zip the file (Winzip) and then it would have a .zip extension. I have done this as an example, along with a Word doc.

0. Detach the email attachment-save somewhere on your computer.
1. Begin new post.
2. There is a frame with additional options. Select manage attachments.
3. A new window will open. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.
4. Select upload. Close the manage attachments window.
5. Finish the post and submit.

That should do it, or get you real close.

I am adding that I do not know the maximum size limits for attachments. Given that your file came through email, it may not be too large.

Rocks 'n Roots
02-13-2005, 01:35
Tim the majority of AT internet users don't have any opinions on AT conservation. They've been conditioned into a state of disconcern by internet people who continuously refer to Trail advocates in negative terms and say things like "let's keep this a hiking list" etc.

The ATC changes its name in order to deal with this and the best these people can offer is criticisms of the move completely oblivious as to why they did it. Chat is what these people think the AT is for. There's a real problem on the AT in the difference between those who uphold the formal Trail and those who use it. To discuss it is to risk causing bad feelings, therefore it is best to avoid the discussion and those who do it...

Tim Rich
02-13-2005, 02:17
Tim the majority of AT internet users don't have any opinions on AT conservation. They've been conditioned into a state of disconcern by internet people who continuously refer to Trail advocates in negative terms and say things like "let's keep this a hiking list" etc.

The ATC changes its name in order to deal with this and the best these people can offer is criticisms of the move completely oblivious as to why they did it. Chat is what these people think the AT is for. There's a real problem on the AT in the difference between those who uphold the formal Trail and those who use it. To discuss it is to risk causing bad feelings, therefore it is best to avoid the discussion and those who do it...

I think those who hold themselves up as "trail advocates", while hurling insults at hikers, are oblivious to the harm they cause. There are those on Whiteblaze who toil for the AT in their work on trail protection and AT management issues. I know them and what they do, not because they shout it from the rooftops or lord it over others, but just because our paths have crossed and I've made it a point to follow their good works. A LNT approach to advocacy, rather than a scorched earth policy of bully and repulse, works best in this audience that consists of those, by definition of membership, interested in the AT. Your street corner preacher with the bullhorn approach just hasn't been successful, in my estimation.

MedicineMan
02-13-2005, 04:37
L.Wolf, i almost broke a rib on that one! thanks for helping ease a crappy night at work.

The Old Fhart
02-13-2005, 10:09
Lone Wolf :clap
Lone Wolf-"Who cares? It's just gonna turn into another thread of ranting and raving know-it-alls. Pave the trail. Fence it."Wasn't it Nikita Khrushchev (speaking about the Berlin Wall) who said "a good farmer builds a fence to keep the pigs out." :D

Lone Wolf
02-13-2005, 10:14
One of the many wonderful stickers on my Nalgene says " PAVE THE TRAIL"
Kudos to Low Rider, a 93 throo-hicker who has cool stickers. Find them @ www.lowriderpress.com/lowriderstickerpage.html

Jack Tarlin
02-13-2005, 18:23
Quick comments before this thread is hijacked and destroyed:

To help the Trail---

Join the Appalachian Trail Conference, and be an ACTIVE member. Don't just pay your dues and read the magazine. Instead, try and take a more active role: Attend the Annual Conference if you can. Give your input. Fill out questionnaires when you see them. Become knowledgable enough so you can help support good folks for the Board.

If you're thru-hiking, you should definitely be an ATC member. While on your hike, try and reserve a few volunteer hours to help out at Harpers Ferry. This is an old tradition that needs reviving. Basically, everything they can get a volunteer to do is something that they don't have to PAY someone to do. As a small non-profit organization that runs on a shoestring, this is important, so help 'em out if you can.

If you're in a position to contribute more than your annual membershopip dues, then try and do so, especially if you're financially comfortable. You might also consider a bequest in your will, so your concern for the Trail outlives you.

In addition to the ATC, I'd join (if you're nearby) or help support a local A.T. Club. The best gift is your time as a volunteer. Otherwise, small cash gifts will pay for such things as work tools, construction costs, printing expenses, and so on. Or if you know someone that's active with a local Trail group (say Bob Peoples in Tennessee, or WalkinHome or Weary in Maine) you might want to get in touch with them and see what their club's specific needs are. Even if you don't live near the Trail, you can still help out one of the local clubs, and these are truly the folks who get things done: They repair old sections, clear blowdowns, caretake shelters and campsites, work on local land protection issues, educate newcomers to the Trail about responsible use, and so on. The local maintaining clubs are the heart and soul of the Trail; if you're in a position to do so, there is no better way to help preserve the A.T.

Scaper
02-13-2005, 20:34
I hiked up High Knob today on th A-T from rt.638 in Linden to check out the housing construction where the ski resort used to be . There are 2 huge houses going in less then 300 yards off the trail at mosby campsite in clear view from the trail with no leaves on the trees. It also looks like they are going to pave the small dirt road which crosses the trail about 1/4 mile south of mosby campsite crossing the A-T. There is another developement overtaking an old orchard in Blue Mountain with looks like about 50 homes but this site is about 1 mile off the trail from Manassas gap shelter. I am just wondering what the trail will look like in 50 years. Jim

Nightwalker
02-13-2005, 20:50
Lone Wolf :clap Wasn't it Nikita Khrushchev (speaking about the Berlin Wall) who said "a good farmer builds a fence to keep the pigs out." :D[/QUOTE]
Somehow "Lone Wolf" and "Nalgene" just don't fit together in my small little mind...

(screwed it up. See below. It stinks when ya can't even mess with someone right!)

Nightwalker
02-13-2005, 20:52
One of the many wonderful stickers on my Nalgene says " PAVE THE TRAIL"
Somehow the words "Lone Wolf" and "Nalgene" just don't fit together in my small little mind...

art to linda
02-13-2005, 21:37
there are many more people who quietly go about contributing their time, effort, and money to preserving/expanding the AT (and other wilderness areas) then there are those who try to browbeat people into following their version of what should be done..... which is a good thing, as the first group actually gets things done.

the internet community is a place to trade ideas/experiances which each of us can then incorporate into our own lives. Not everything works for everyone, but there is something here for everyone. The point is to share, not alienate, so that open areas of nature will be there for our grand children and their children.

For each person that takes the long walk north there is an unknown number of people following them in their journals and web sites. For some it is the only way that they can walk the trail. To share ideas about what we all can do to protect and care for our wilderness takes it from the abstract to the personal, and I'd be willing to lay down good money that there are many here at white blaze doing a lot more then you hear about.

weary
02-13-2005, 21:50
So far we have 38 votes out of several thousand members of WhiteBlaze. What, if anything, does that tell us about the rest?

Weary

orangebug
02-13-2005, 21:59
Several thousand White Blazers are far wiser than we 36.

A-Train
02-13-2005, 22:19
Maybe that the majority of WB has been turned off by the recent "Conservation and land use" threads that mainly result in character bashing and diatribe and that most folks are now smarter than to take a look at similar threads anymore, as they ultimately all end the same way. Just my 2 cents

weary
02-13-2005, 22:21
Oh! What, OB, do you think is unwise about the votes so far?

Weary

Nightwalker
02-13-2005, 22:55
So far we have 38 votes out of several thousand members of WhiteBlaze. What, if anything, does that tell us about the rest?

Weary
That this is a topic best kept off of the BBS.

You have a right to lecture us on this. Some others most definitely do NOT!

weary
02-13-2005, 23:10
That this is a topic best kept off of the BBS.

You have a right to lecture us on this. Some others most definitely do NOT!
Frank, I try not to get into too many lectures. I do try to encourage folks to think about the future of the trail that they have hiked, or dream of hiking. The trail is not an act of nature that sprung into being unaided. Rather, the trail was nurtured into being by many, many thousands of people, and, I believe, it will continue to exist only if many, many thousands of people continue to to think about its future and work to provide for that future.

Weary

Nightwalker
02-13-2005, 23:15
Frank, I try not to get into too many lectures. I do try to encourage folks to think about the future of the trail that they have hiked, or dream of hiking.

Weary
Weary,

You probably realize that the gist of that post was not directed at you. There are people who have made spirited disagreement nearly impossible here, as it quickly degrades into name-calling and invoking of ghosts.

I used to talk extremely badly to you when we disagreed. To blame that totally on a bunch of headaches would be immature and trivial. I am truly sorry for that behavior and am trying to behave in a totally different way these days.

Frank

weary
02-13-2005, 23:38
Weary,

You probably realize that the gist of that post was not directed at you. There are people who have made spirited disagreement nearly impossible here, as it quickly degrades into name-calling and invoking of ghosts.
I used to talk extremely badly to you when we disagreed. To blame that totally on a bunch of headaches would be immature and trivial. I am truly sorry for that behavior and am trying to behave in a totally different way these days. Frank
I recognize the problem. And I know that I sometimes contribute to some of the name calling and invoking of ghosts. But a very wise veteran reporter told me back when I was getting into the profession to never bear grudges. His message, "your enemies today, may be your friends tomorrow. Never burn bridges."

No truer words were ever spoken, especially to someone like me who has strong opinions and tries to "save the world" or at least my tiny corner of it. When I heed his advice, things work out well. When I ignore it, they don't.

I was at a retirement party last night for a controversial shell fisheries warden. A retired police officer sat across from me at the table. He had been one of a family of 11 or 12 kids, from a town that only provided education through the eighth grade. His grandparents had lived in a colony so notorious for its poverty and other allegations that the state of Maine condemned the land and scattered the inhabitants, 90 years ago.

As we were chatting, he commented, "I survived all these years by smiling when people had complaints." I immediately recognized the truth of what he said. Now if I can only learn to apply it.

Weary

RedneckRye
02-14-2005, 03:42
Several thousand?? Of the 4910 registered members, 2725 (55.5%) have never posted. 845 (17.2%) have posted once or twice. There are 15 Whiteblazers who have posted 1000+ times. That is 0.3% of the members contributing/dominating 25.5% of the "conversation".

The whole members and numbers thing has been in the back of my mind for a long while, and as I've sat here (or at work) reading, it sometimes strikes me that the loudest or most persistant voices often don't really seem the wisest.

I'd apologize for going on about off topic stuff, but since no one else seems to, maybe I don't need to. Oh yeah,I'm sure my math is off somewhere, so save your breath/keystrokes. :)

Rocks 'n Roots
02-14-2005, 04:11
I think those who hold themselves up as "trail advocates", while hurling insults at hikers, are oblivious to the harm they cause. There are those on Whiteblaze who toil for the AT in their work on trail protection and AT management issues. I know them and what they do, not because they shout it from the rooftops or lord it over others, but just because our paths have crossed and I've made it a point to follow their good works. A LNT approach to advocacy, rather than a scorched earth policy of bully and repulse, works best in this audience that consists of those, by definition of membership, interested in the AT. Your street corner preacher with the bullhorn approach just hasn't been successful, in my estimation.

Well, I think you are actually outlining the problem. Tim, ATC isn't reorganizing because timid Trail supporters were meekly doing their silent duty so well. Benton MacKaye was no shrinking violet either. The trouble with what you write is you assume you have answered the problem. Meanwhile there's a whole Trail burning out there while people are talking about manners. Besides, like I said before, the other side isn't shy of insults or other niceties if you are reading the same posts I am. If there's any forceful feeling it's mainly due to the ridiculous resistance some show to basic Trail givens. I've never seen a worse case of blaming the victim. For goodness' sakes all you have to do is make a simple case for AT wilderness (a plain and apparent Trail concept) and these people descend like a pack of delinquents. You're not honestly comparing their juvenile vulgarities to a plea for Trail understanding are you?

If there are Trail officials on here and they stay quiet, then they're only adding to the problem. How would newcomers and club members ever know any of this? But the real problem here is probably the fact that even Trail officials aren't really up to snuff on the purpose of the AT because of this very lack of advocacy. ATC isn't reorganizing for nothing Tim. LNT wasn't working. The AT now has a wilderness-hostile surly population. Stop focusing on style and get to what we are really talking about here. Some of the worst "bullying" I've ever seen has come from the HYOH set. Show me something that has been successful. You can't. So where does the problem really lie?

Your post is nothing but negativizing Trail advocates while calling for a solution you know yourself isn't possible with these types. If you read your post carefully, the type of Trail advocates you like are the silent type who never challenge anyone on the purpose of the Trail. Now let's talk truthfully about what isn't working...

Rocks 'n Roots
02-14-2005, 04:29
there are many more people who quietly go about contributing their time, effort, and money to preserving/expanding the AT (and other wilderness areas) then there are those who try to browbeat people into following their version of what should be done..... which is a good thing, as the first group actually gets things done.

No Linda. What there is here is people who group up and attack even a basic description of the AT who then get backed by posts like these. We're not talking about "their version" we're talking about THE version. The one ATC follows. Also, I know of a very forceful Trail advocate who was credited by credible Trail and government officials for "getting things done". Your post is a slander and isn't accurate.

I know there are people doing good work for the Trail. The fact that they are potential shadows somewhere in an AT site is exactly what I'm talking about. This is why MacKaye was important because he believed in it enough to push it. His impetus created the AT. He was also forced off his own creation by people who inappropriately took his conviction as offensive.

I like Scaper's post. The worst travesty in the world is American wealthy building luxury homes in the Trail's face. I have no doubt the *&^%$ who built those houses tell people "Yeah, they're right next to the Appalachian Trail!" They probably also said "I don't see anything in the rules to stop me".

I say with complete sincerity, watch for the Trail to bite back...

Rocks 'n Roots
02-14-2005, 04:40
Several thousand?? Of the 4910 registered members, 2725 (55.5%) have never posted. 845 (17.2%) have posted once or twice. There are 15 Whiteblazers who have posted 1000+ times. That is 0.3% of the members contributing/dominating 25.5% of the "conversation".

Good point Redneck.

I'm sure Weary will recognize this as about a perfect ratio of those who do trailwork. Weary focuses on the contribution end, which is worthy, others may focus on what they consider most important (this includes Benton MacKaye, without whom there would be no Trail)...

wacocelt
02-14-2005, 07:13
Rocks and Roots, I admire your passion and perseverance towards the advocacy issues you respresent here. I would however like to suggest that if you honestly want people to pay true heed to your side of the issues you may want to take less of an agressive stance. You catch more flies with sugar etc.

I have been trying to take an unbiased look at both sides of the arguements you have been involved in the past few months and no matter how I try to rationalize your vehemence, I still can't pay attention to the message you're trying to get across because of the fist of indignation you're waving under our noses.

I have also posed the question before as to whether you extend your concerns so verbosely outside of this venue to the ATC and the US Forest Service, or if you merely save it all for the 'ears of the deaf' as you seem to consider so much of the WB populace.

orangebug
02-14-2005, 08:38
...as I've sat here (or at work) reading, it sometimes strikes me that the loudest or most persistant voices often don't really seem the wisest...I think that was my identical point.

art to linda
02-14-2005, 10:00
This thread is a simple poll on what people would like to see happen to help protect the AT not a battle ground of ideology.

Like all living things, the AT must grow,evolve, or die. Time does not stop in order to let us preserve a perfect moment/situation, and anyone who tries to stop it will either find themselves with a dead thing in their hands or passed by as it evolve beyond them.

The Old Fhart
02-14-2005, 10:26
art to linda- great post! :clap

art to linda
02-14-2005, 19:20
art to linda- great post! :clap

I thank you, kind sir, but now you have me blushing. I just didn't want this poll turned into a private battle field that would cause others to shy off without voting. The larger a turn out, the better an understanding of what people want to see happen on and around the trail. :o

Nightwalker
02-15-2005, 00:14
Your post is nothing but negativizing Trail advocates while calling for a solution you know yourself isn't possible with these types. If you read your post carefully, the type of Trail advocates you like are the silent type who never challenge anyone on the purpose of the Trail. Now let's talk truthfully about what isn't working...
I'm honestly curious if there's anyone here that you actually do agree with?

Rocks 'n Roots
02-15-2005, 00:44
This thread is a simple poll on what people would like to see happen to help protect the AT not a battle ground of ideology.

Like all living things, the AT must grow,evolve, or die. Time does not stop in order to let us preserve a perfect moment/situation, and anyone who tries to stop it will either find themselves with a dead thing in their hands or passed by as it evolve beyond them.

Bingo! Thank You!

Anyone who doesn't realize the AT is an "ideological battleground" just doesn't understand the AT. A smart person would read Linda's post and realize there's no explanation in there why we can't preserve the Trail's wilderness ethic or why there's any reason not to. I bet it never dawned on any of these people that her stuck-in-the-past comment goes for ever-expanding development just as well - if not moreso (or is that just too deep for some people?) God forbid the AT would ever be given credit for WHAT IT IS by the very people who are supposed to be supporting it. That "grow, evolve, or die" business is nonsense. The truth is the AT needs to preserve its original goals or die. That's what we are talking about here. Your need to denigrate that speaks volumes. You probably don't even understand what I'm talking about..

Case in point...

ed bell
02-15-2005, 00:56

She said the thread not the trail RnR. Before you try to brand me a trail hater by pointing this out to the fine folks here, let me remind you that you began twisting the thread subject in post #8. I've got my eye on this because I recieved no respect from you in the previous discussion.

ed bell
02-15-2005, 01:22
Mr. Rocks and Roots,
Have you already voted on the question here?

To all posting to this thread,
I really doubt that the turnout in this thread in its infancy means anything. The folks who wish to chime in here will do just that when they see fit. To me this site is neither a hotbead of controversy nor an idealogical battlefield. For several posters it may be just that and only that. Many posts on this thread have been very helpful. I will list the ones I recognize as helpful in regards to the intent of the thread topic. #1, 4, 6, 9, 13, 14, 17, 23, 24, 25, 30, 32, and 34 stand out. The rest are either quick aside remarks or attempts to derail the intent of the thread.

art to linda
02-15-2005, 01:39
Bingo! Thank You!

Anyone who doesn't realize the AT is an "ideological battleground" just doesn't understand the AT. A smart person would read Linda's post and realize there's no explanation in there why we can't preserve the Trail's wilderness ethic or why there's any reason not to. I bet it never dawned on any of these people that her stuck-in-the-past comment goes for ever-expanding development just as well - if not moreso (or is that just too deep for some people?) God forbid the AT would ever be given credit for WHAT IT IS by the very people who are supposed to be supporting it. That "grow, evolve, or die" business is nonsense. The truth is the AT needs to preserve its original goals or die. That's what we are talking about here. Your need to denigrate that speaks volumes. You probably don't even understand what I'm talking about..
Case in point...

Yoohoo.... one last time. I said .... This "thread" was a simple poll....not an ideological battle ground. The operative word was "thread" not "AT" and I will not allow you to pick, choose or scramble what I have said to justify your getting on your soap box.

Poll = push a button and vote, maybe make a comment on what was voted on or why you voted the way you did. Good Lord man, how do you ever manage to vote in a major election?
Of course, you probably don't even understand what I'm talking about. :-?

Rocks 'n Roots
02-16-2005, 00:53
I must confess Linda, I really don't know what you are talking about. Though the reason could possibly be because you aren't talking about anything...

I have lengthy thoughts on how the Trail should be protected. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be included in this thread.

I'm curious if you could explain what exactly this meant?

art to linda
02-16-2005, 01:52
I must confess Linda, I really don't know what you are talking about. Though the reason could possibly be because you aren't talking about anything...

I have lengthy thoughts on how the Trail should be protected. I don't see any reason why they couldn't be included in this thread.

I'm curious if you could explain what exactly this meant?

I'll try one LAST time. This thread is a simple poll, do the poll, coment on the poll items or not (your choice).

I'm sure you have lots of ideas on trail protection. Take them to the ATC Guidelines thread, that is a discussion thread.

If you still do not understand what I'm saying you are beyond my help and may need remedial reading lessons.

bobtomaskovic
02-16-2005, 01:56
seems to me that the AT is amazing that it exists at all. Those who want to hike it should hike it. Those who want to maintain it should maintain it. Those who want to rant about it should rant. No one should expect all hikers to maintain,all maintainers to hike, and thank God that not everyone finds it necessary to rant.It wasn;t all wilderness in 1935 and it won't be in 2005.

wacocelt
02-16-2005, 02:30
Bobtom, that kind of rationality and radical sense making will not endear you to alot of our more bellicose fellow AT enthuisiasts, but I like your style. Welcome to WB.

Mountain Dew
02-16-2005, 02:44
Can we get an AMEN Wacocelt ?

ed bell
02-16-2005, 03:01

Please apologize for mischaracterizing her remarks RnR. I'm quite sure that is what she is talking about. I have no doubt you have thoughts on how the trail should be protected. Please feel free to start a thread about your thoughts and ideas. Would you consider responding to post #38 on this thread?

The Old Fhart
02-16-2005, 09:07
Even though he's incapable of comprehending the reasons why, RnR actually made 2 true statements, even if they aren't for the reason he thinks. They merely mirror his total lack of understanding and his bizarre thought processes.
post #39-"You probably don't even understand what I'm talking about.."
post #45-"I must confess Linda, I really don't know what you are talking about." As the old saying goes: "even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut."

JAK
03-19-2009, 18:00
Quick comments before this thread is hijacked and destroyed:

To help the Trail---

Join the Appalachian Trail Conference, and be an ACTIVE member. Don't just pay your dues and read the magazine. Instead, try and take a more active role: Attend the Annual Conference if you can. Give your input. Fill out questionnaires when you see them. Become knowledgable enough so you can help support good folks for the Board.

If you're thru-hiking, you should definitely be an ATC member. While on your hike, try and reserve a few volunteer hours to help out at Harpers Ferry. This is an old tradition that needs reviving. Basically, everything they can get a volunteer to do is something that they don't have to PAY someone to do. As a small non-profit organization that runs on a shoestring, this is important, so help 'em out if you can.

If you're in a position to contribute more than your annual membershopip dues, then try and do so, especially if you're financially comfortable. You might also consider a bequest in your will, so your concern for the Trail outlives you.

In addition to the ATC, I'd join (if you're nearby) or help support a local A.T. Club. The best gift is your time as a volunteer. Otherwise, small cash gifts will pay for such things as work tools, construction costs, printing expenses, and so on. Or if you know someone that's active with a local Trail group (say Bob Peoples in Tennessee, or WalkinHome or Weary in Maine) you might want to get in touch with them and see what their club's specific needs are. Even if you don't live near the Trail, you can still help out one of the local clubs, and these are truly the folks who get things done: They repair old sections, clear blowdowns, caretake shelters and campsites, work on local land protection issues, educate newcomers to the Trail about responsible use, and so on. The local maintaining clubs are the heart and soul of the Trail; if you're in a position to do so, there is no better way to help preserve the A.T.Thought I would bump this. Just because I like Jack and would like to meet him some day.