PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls to Woody Gap in late September

nashste
08-01-2011, 15:41
I'm planning on hiking from Amicalola Falls to Woody Gap in late September. It will be my first time long distance hiking and I am looking for any advice/input I can get (related to this section of the AT and just general pointers for someone who grew up in the woods, but is just now getting into backpacking). Thanks.

Chatter98
08-01-2011, 16:02
I would recommend skipping the approach train and going up the back way via 42. This is often a good starting off point as you can get there late and hike up and stay at springer and give yourself a good start to head out. I would also recommend shooting for a short day and aim for Hawk on the first major day. Its only 8 miles, but that allows you to get an idea for where you are physically. This section is not too gruelling and allot of it is even or downhill. I usually have trouble with the uphills late in the day, so this is a little tough on me now. Also, stopping at hawk means you can save a couple of good climbs for the next day. If I remember right, you wold then be able to hike to woody gap the next day, can't remember how many miles, I used to hike to the shelter at Horse Gap, but this has been moved closer to Hawk and is now like 5 miles away.
Don't know if this helped much, but I would plan for easy days and shorter miles to start, as you might get blisters and other ailments.

GSLeader_in_NC
08-01-2011, 16:23
My 14-year old daughter did this same section in the end of April.

+1 for not taking the Approach Trail. We were shuttled by my husband and walked the 1-mile to the Springer Summit. We made it to Hawk Mountain shelter the first day, with lots of daylight left to spare.

The second day we made it to Gooch Mountain shelter, with plenty of time to spare... There are a lot more ups and downs on the second day (including a tough one up Sassafras Mountain), so save yourself plenty of time and enjoy the scenery... We were at the shelter by 4:00 or so and took a few long-ish breaks along the way...

The third day we left the shelter late (9:30) and made it to Woody Gap around 1:00... We really liked that section - it follows the ridge, and the views to the right were incredible... even though the leaves will still be on the trees in September, it was a nice hike, especially after Day 2's tough climbs...

Enjoy your time out there... Katie and I will be starting at Woody and going to Unicoi Gap in our next section. We're doing it in October/early November so we're hoping for good views at the top of Blood Mountain!

Jeanne
(a.k.a. 20-year Section Hiker)

nashste
08-01-2011, 16:33
My only hold up on not cutting out the approach trail is parking (Won't have anyone to drop my hiking buddy and I off). I know I can park at Amicalola and I'm pretty sure the next parking is Springer Gap. I'm really adamant about not skipping the terminus and I would have to hike back a mile from 42 to do that. Granted, I guess it's better than a steep 9 miles up the approach trail.

Chatter98
08-01-2011, 16:35
The hike up the terminus is not too bad and much better than the approach trail. This weekend I did this Friday night and started out for Hawk the next day. I really do not like the approach trail.

max patch
08-01-2011, 16:47
Nothing wrong with the approach trail.

If you are looking for an "easy" first day then I'll agree that Springer to Hawk is easier; Springer to Hawk is probably the easiest 8 mile section in GA. But the approach trail is not "hard" at all.

HiKen2011
08-01-2011, 16:59
Nothing wrong with the approach trail.

If you are looking for an "easy" first day then I'll agree that Springer to Hawk is easier; Springer to Hawk is probably the easiest 8 mile section in GA. But the approach trail is not "hard" at all.

Depends on ones definition of "hard" and their physical condition. I did the approach trail the last time at age 50 and it took 5 hrs, not bad for an old geezer! I wouldn't call it easy or not "hard" though, some tough climbs! Around 2000 ft of elevation gain in those 8 miles if my memory serves me correctly.

FatMan
08-01-2011, 16:59
If you have never seen Amicalola Falls, do the Approach Trail. The falls are definitely worth it. I happen to enjoy the Approach Trail but for some reason it gets a bad rap here on WB. Amicalola is also a secure place to park, but Springer is generally safe as well.

Late September is a great time for this hike. Temps will be wonderful with daytime temps 60s & 70s and night temps 40s & 30s. Water is ample through this stretch, the only exception is there is no water between Hawk Mtn Shelter and Justus Creek. That section is also the toughest part from Springer to Woody so camel up. Be sure to hike up the side trail (BMT) to long creek falls, it is worth it. Also, Hickory Flats Cemetery makes a great place to stop for lunch, or for an overnight.

Enjoy your hike.

Chatter98
08-01-2011, 17:05
If you go to long creek falls, do not leave your packs, I have heard of packs being stolen from this area.

FatMan
08-01-2011, 17:08
If you go to long creek falls, do not leave your packs, I have heard of packs being stolen from this area.That would be good advice for anywhere

Chatter98
08-01-2011, 17:17
Seems like common sense, but the Hawk Mountain shelter register has numerous tales of packs being stolen while people went off to do a side trip to the falls.

nashste
08-01-2011, 17:19
How crowded will the trail/shelters be this time of year? (I'm guessing pretty crowded, but that we might get to talk to a few Southbounders).

TNjed
08-01-2011, 17:26
you could tie a rattlesnake to your pack like Harry The Indian, then you'd be safe I'm sure

TNjed
08-01-2011, 17:28
I was in the smokies once for 3 days by myself, mostly on the AT and never saw anybody until I got close to the car.

FatMan
08-01-2011, 17:28
How crowded will the trail/shelters be this time of year? (I'm guessing pretty crowded, but that we might get to talk to a few Southbounders).Weekdays you will mostly have the trail to yourself. There will be hikers for sure on the weekends. Will be plenty of shelter room, unless in use by a scout group on the weekend.

September is a little early for SOBOs although you could see some.

pyroman53
08-01-2011, 22:17
Did this section in early Oct about 4 years ago and had temps in the 90's. Yes, it can be nice and cool, but it can also be hot. This section, while not hard, is still a pretty good test. Its a great trip. Enjoy!

FatMan
08-02-2011, 09:02
nashte, PM me a few days before your start and I will give a better picture of the current conditions up here. I don't want to turn this into another WB pissing match about real temps up here.