PDA

View Full Version : Help me with the best of West Virginia

Digger'02
08-01-2011, 16:23
Yall guys, i am looking for the best 30 miles in West Virginia to be completed in mid-january. We are looking for zub sero and plus 4000'

30 Large
08-01-2011, 16:29
You could do a section of the ALT then. Its only about 3500' but the trail is amazing.

Pioneer Spirit
08-01-2011, 19:03
Without looking it up on the internet myself. Try looking at Dolly Sods and head up to Spruce Knob while there..highest point. Seneca rocks are nearby for a short hike up a groomed trail, unlike the original straight up the back ike in the 70's.

johnnybgood
08-01-2011, 20:08
Dolly Sods Wilderness has some of the best high altitude hiking on the east coast.
Loads of hiking trails without the hordes of people .

Ktaadn
08-02-2011, 09:38
Dolly Sods is awesome. Check out this book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ik3GzYqAziAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=monongahela+national+forest+hiking&hl=en&ei=UYQkTsjuNMLNsQKq052ZAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=monongahela%20national%20forest%20hiking&f=false

emerald
08-02-2011, 14:14
If you want to visit Dolly Sods, see what you can Google beforehand. The present landscape and vegetation resulted from how it was logged and fires which destroyed much of the topsoil.

Tumult on the Mountain by Roy B. Clarkson about the early logging history of West Virginia is a classic. See also Cass Scenic Railroad (http://www.cassrailroad.com/).

Maybe Bald Knob would meet your criteria. Canaan Valley in winter would beautiful too for someone who's prepared to deal with the conditions.

The Grip
08-02-2011, 17:36
+1 on Dolly Sods & the Roaring Plains. You can spend a week up there not see everything. So many great campsites with great water.

Blissful
08-02-2011, 20:50
Will be cold and snowy as anything, though I suppose that's what you want. WVA gets the lake effect snows. Will probably have to access via Laneville as the other roads will likely be closed. Or you can come in via Canaan Valley area - go skiing first

DCHiker
08-02-2011, 21:42
I'll agree with the others... Check out Dolly Sods. Fantastic hiking.

emerald
08-02-2011, 22:07
WV gets the lake effect snows.

Welcome hikers, to Forestry 140, otherwise known as Natural Resources of West Virginia. Today's lecture relates to precipitation in The Mountain State.

It is an interesting fact that the locations receiving the greatest and least precipitation Pickens and Upper Tract are only a short distance from one another as the crow flies. This is due to the orographic effect.

Since the bell is about to sound, please read your assignment and be prepared for a quiz tomorrow. Pay particular attention to the terms adiabatic cooling, rain shadow and make sure you know the environmental lapse rate.

dzierzak
08-03-2011, 08:49
http://midatlantichikes.com/

Really good stuff...

JimboWV
08-04-2011, 09:01
Dolly Sods would probably be your best bet but contact a park official before you go. I haven't been there in the winter myself but my dad works there a lot. According to him some trails are completely impassible in the winter. If you can time your trip aroud the snow storms anywhere between Beckley and Terra Alta would work. If this winter is as bad as the last few years you could even turn your trip into something helpful and deliver supplies to snowed in residents. Reminded me of northern Alaska last year.

Digger'02
08-05-2011, 14:13
Thanks for the info! Checking out Dolly Sods right now. A few feet of snow won't worry us too much. Art Loeb last year was about 4 ft and pretty fun. Past that and its hot tub time. It seems like Dolly is nice n frosty. We shall see. If there is another non-AT hike that you can recommend, I am all ears. Thanks!!