PDA

View Full Version : New Tarptent StratoSpire 1 & 2

FamilyGuy
08-02-2011, 12:47
One and two person double walled shelters. They look like they will have excellent floor space and the trekking poles stay out of the shelter where they belong (some recent designs from other manufacturers ignore this feature).

Henry has been busy!

http://tarptent.com/sneakpeek.html

Violent Green
08-02-2011, 13:07
Reminds me of an SMD Refuge except the for the CF poles at each end.

Ryan

Hiking Man
08-02-2011, 17:14
Just when you think you have all the gear you need. Henry comes up with something else i want to buy! Dose anybody know what the hydrostatic head Henry Shires sli-nylon is?

Bags4266
08-02-2011, 17:47
Love the size of the vestibules

mykl
08-02-2011, 18:53
As for the 1 person, with a floor size of 2.5'x7' and weight of 2 pounds, without poles, slanted end walls, and it looks to need a lot of guy lines/stakes (not to mention time to set up properly), I don't get it.
Granted, I have never been a fan of Tarptents, and i know a lot of people here like them, and I see some of their benefits, but really, I just don't get the fuss over them, particularly this one.

Rocket Jones
08-02-2011, 18:56
I'm curious to see how it does in windy conditions.

Franco
08-02-2011, 18:59
As I posted elsewhere, this shelter has been on the making for several years. A recent working name I use for it was Enigma .
The reason is that if you look at a picture or two of it you will find it hard or impossible to guess the complete design.
For example, to show just how different it is from the SMD Refuge, have a look at this :

The original idea was to have a pole supported shelter, starting with a mid type set up but with supported sides.
This was to minimise the unusable space you get with the backpacking version of a pyramid/tipi tent (2-3 person variety)
As the designed evolved, Henry went back to it during the non busy periods, other ideas/desirable features were added.
For example two doors/two vestibules (for the solo and duo), integral pitch as well as separate inner and fly set-up , some snow loading capability as well as smaller flat panels for wind resistance.
A shot of each shelter :

Franco

stranger
08-04-2011, 02:28
Just when you think you have all the gear you need. Henry comes up with something else i want to buy! Dose anybody know what the hydrostatic head Henry Shires sli-nylon is?

Tarptents mist consistently...unfortunatley.

4Bears
08-04-2011, 05:02
10ftX7ft foot print is huge, I do like the large vestibules though, wish he would offer 2 doors on the single Rainbow as well.

Bags4266
08-04-2011, 08:07
Yes that is a huge FP. I have trouble sometimes finding a spot for my contrail, especially on the pre-made tent pads.

Hiking Man
08-04-2011, 08:19
Yeah I have heard that Tarptents are a we bit misty in any rain type.

Lyle
08-04-2011, 08:58
Yeah I have heard that Tarptents are a we bit misty in any rain type.

My experience, based five different silnylon shelters from four different manufacturers (none Tarptent) is that misting in some conditions is the nature of the beast. You will learn to deal with it, and recognize the conditions when it will be a problem. In about six years of using exclusively single-walled, light weight shelters, it has only been a MAJOR problem on one night. I was still able to deal effectively with it, but admit I didn't sleep really well that night. This is a very reasonable trade-off for the weight and compactness gained. Most nights, by far, it isn't any issue at all if you keep good ventilation, decent site selection, and use a modicum of care when moving about inside.

Guess I can't definitively state the Tarptent are no worse than any other, but I highly suspect that they are fine. Doubt they would be as popular as they are if they were inferior to other manufacturers. Much of the ability to deal with the inevitable condensation is dependent on good design features and skill in taking advantage of these features by the user. There is a learning curve, but well worth the effort.

FamilyGuy
08-04-2011, 10:18
Tarptents mist consistently...unfortunatley.

That hasn't been my experience.

Franco
08-04-2011, 18:21
Stranger
On another thread you stated that you find it "hilarious" to have to seam seal a $250 TT.
So what term would you use for a $500 Cuben shelter ? .
Hysterical ?
What about a silnylon TNF VE25 at $1000?
Or is it just about TT?
Franco
BTW, for anyone else...
when you read of (or experience...) ice/snow showers inside your tent, that is just the solid version of mist.
Not a TT exclusive , neither in summer nor in winter.

stranger
08-04-2011, 19:10
Stranger
On another thread you stated that you find it "hilarious" to have to seam seal a $250 TT.
So what term would you use for a $500 Cuben shelter ? .
Hysterical ?
What about a silnylon TNF VE25 at $1000?
Or is it just about TT?
Franco
BTW, for anyone else...
when you read of (or experience...) ice/snow showers inside your tent, that is just the solid version of mist.
Not a TT exclusive , neither in summer nor in winter.

Franco, that doesn't sounds like something I would say (maybe I'm wrong), simply because I understand the complexities in factory sealing a silnylon tent, which for a company like Tarptent would be expensive and problematic and require additional coating to the material, etc...

What I do recall is making a comment about having to spray silicone on your $250 tent to prevent it from 'misting', which I still stand by. Sorry Franco, but I have experienced misting in Tarptents, and I hear about it happening with TT's alot more than with other tents. Judy at Lightheart told me she has never had a single complaint about misting in her tents - just for comparison purposes (don't get upset)

As for Cuben, I don't have a view because I don't have any experience with Cuben, but in theory yes...if you need to spray expensive fabric to keep water from coming through it I would have a problem with it (again, I'm not talking about seam sealing)

I would assume TNF VE25 would have an additional coating on the inside to keep the factory tape stuck, as do most major tent manufacturerers, I don't have an issue with the cost, I can quite easily afford a $1000 tent if I needed one, that's not the point. Performance is my issue, not cost, but cost and performance are relevant to each other.

I understand your problem, you work for them in some capacity or are closely aligned with them. For me, you are somewhat hard to take seriously, with your over the top TT praise. You might want to recognise the contributions of other small manufacturers instead of getting pissy everytime someone knocks Tarptent.

I also have some issues with Six Moon Designs tents, yet I don't see them taking the same approach as you. I just recently posted concerns about the Skyscape, in particular the shallow bathtub floor, and they responded. You might want to read that response and gain some insight, No it's not just about Tarptent.

Although I suspect with you...it is all about YOU. And you love Tarptent, so it's all about THEM as well.

Perhaps make another video on how to sit upright in a tent, that was exciting.

Del Q
08-04-2011, 20:02
Human ingenuity is awesome...............just when you thought..................

Singletrack
08-13-2011, 16:47
How much seam sealing will have to be done? Also wondering if the inner tent can stay attached to the fly, for putting the tent up, or you put the inner tent up, and then place the fly?

Franco
08-13-2011, 19:03
Both StratoSpire have an integral pitch (inner and fly together) .
Not sure about seam sealing but they look pretty easy to do because of the few straight seams there. I would say 30 min .
The time consuming part is leaving them up to dry. That can be one or two days depending on weather conditions.
Have a look at this video to see how Henry does his :
http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html
(bottom of the page)
Franco

Singletrack
08-13-2011, 20:58
So, I assume that the inner tent, attaches to the fly, at the sides and ceiling?

Franco
08-13-2011, 21:27
Yes.
You can see those clip on bits in this shot

(this is the SS1 in 1+ mode)
Franco

skinewmexico
08-14-2011, 00:53
I want one just to use the inner by itself, which is all I need about 90% of the time.

mykl
08-14-2011, 18:24
franco, that doesn't sounds like something i would say (maybe i'm wrong), simply because i understand the complexities in factory sealing a silnylon tent, which for a company like tarptent would be expensive and problematic and require additional coating to the material, etc...

What i do recall is making a comment about having to spray silicone on your $250 tent to prevent it from 'misting', which i still stand by. Sorry franco, but i have experienced misting in tarptents, and i hear about it happening with tt's alot more than with other tents. Judy at lightheart told me she has never had a single complaint about misting in her tents - just for comparison purposes (don't get upset)

as for cuben, i don't have a view because i don't have any experience with cuben, but in theory yes...if you need to spray expensive fabric to keep water from coming through it i would have a problem with it (again, i'm not talking about seam sealing)

i would assume tnf ve25 would have an additional coating on the inside to keep the factory tape stuck, as do most major tent manufacturerers, i don't have an issue with the cost, i can quite easily afford a $1000 tent if i needed one, that's not the point. Performance is my issue, not cost, but cost and performance are relevant to each other.

I understand your problem, you work for them in some capacity or are closely aligned with them. For me, you are somewhat hard to take seriously, with your over the top tt praise. You might want to recognise the contributions of other small manufacturers instead of getting pissy everytime someone knocks tarptent.

I also have some issues with six moon designs tents, yet i don't see them taking the same approach as you. I just recently posted concerns about the skyscape, in particular the shallow bathtub floor, and they responded. You might want to read that response and gain some insight, no it's not just about tarptent.

Although i suspect with you...it is all about you. And you love tarptent, so it's all about them as well.

Perhaps make another video on how to sit upright in a tent, that was exciting.

lmao!!!!
....hosed!

Franco
08-14-2011, 18:41
Just to go back to these comments :
As for the 1 person, with a floor size of 2.5'x7' and weight of 2 pounds, without poles, slanted end walls, and it looks to need a lot of guy lines/stakes (not to mention time to set up properly), I don't get it.

Many complain that most solo shelters are too small.
This one isn't. However some may realise that a larger shelters does take more space and has to be heavier too.
As for the guylines ,they are "built in". The bugnet/inner only shot shows the two guylines from the pole apex to the ground (that also should give a good idea of the size of the vestibule) this shot shows the other two "guylines" and those are the corner tie-out points.
So in effect you have four anchoring points.
My guess is that I will be able to put it up in less than 2 minutes , if that is a fast or slow set up I am not sure about your times.
Franco

mykl
08-16-2011, 10:42

This one isn't. However some may realise that a larger shelters does take more space and has to be heavier too.
As for the guylines ,they are "built in". The bugnet/inner only shot shows the two guylines from the pole apex to the ground (that also should give a good idea of the size of the vestibule) this shot shows the other two "guylines" and those are the corner tie-out points.
My guess is that I will be able to put it up in less than 2 minutes , if that is a fast or slow set up I am not sure about your times.
Franco

I take it that those are 20" pads. That looks to make it 40" rather than the stated 30". unless the pads are stretching/pulling the sides out. I'm 6'3", I would never use a tent that is 7' with such steep angles at the ends. anyone over 6' will have issues with that. Again, this floor size, without poles at 2 pounds and misting issues (not to mention that I'm sure it's going to be over $200), I still don't get it.

mykl
08-17-2011, 15:50

Franco

As far as set up time, in ideal conditions like your backyard lawn or some sand in Australia,sure, 2 minutes or less, but have you ever been on the AT? It's very rocky and at times can be a challenge to stake down a tent. Sure it's always possible, especially at some shelter sites where there tends to be more dirt, but not always. How many times has anyone been on the AT, go to put a stake in, get an inch down and come to a stop. Time to move or find some rocks or other anchors. At least the areas I have sectioned are like that.

FamilyGuy
08-17-2011, 23:05
As far as set up time, in ideal conditions like your backyard lawn or some sand in Australia,sure, 2 minutes or less, but have you ever been on the AT? It's very rocky and at times can be a challenge to stake down a tent. Sure it's always possible, especially at some shelter sites where there tends to be more dirt, but not always. How many times has anyone been on the AT, go to put a stake in, get an inch down and come to a stop. Time to move or find some rocks or other anchors. At least the areas I have sectioned are like that.

Doesn't sound like a big issue. Just an inconvenience. Sounds like your complaint would be for any tent as all tents should be staked out.

mykl
08-18-2011, 21:32
Doesn't sound like a big issue. Just an inconvenience. Sounds like your complaint would be for any tent as all tents should be staked out.
Didn't say it was a big issue, re-read. I'm saying NOT 2 minutes or less is most cases.

FamilyGuy
08-18-2011, 23:20
Didn't say it was a big issue, re-read. I'm saying NOT 2 minutes or less is most cases.

It is obviously an issue to you because you brought it up. If it takes you 90 seconds on lawn or 3 minutes on rocky soil, who gives a crud. Are you in a rush to get somewhere?

mykl
08-19-2011, 11:11
It is obviously an issue to you because you brought it up. If it takes you 90 seconds on lawn or 3 minutes on rocky soil, who gives a crud. Are you in a rush to get somewhere?
Again, re-read. wow. Listen up. I didn't say it takes under two minutes. I didn't say it was an issue. I'm just stating the fact that I doubt that timing is true. Do you get that? You obviously give a "crud" for some strange reason. Clear the crud out of your eyes and try reading again. It's OK to think a bit. Give it a try. This is a message board familyguy, it's made for discussion, whether it's something you get, like, agree with or not, it's a discussion on hand. Stop being a troll if you have nothing to add accept complaints for you inability to read properly. Maybe you just like to whine. Any other ridiculous three sentence replies to something you don't get? Go a head, give it a try. Maybe you can make it to four an make it interesting.
And sometimes I am in a rush to get somewhere, sometimes I'm not. What business is that if yours? Why would you care about my timing?
OK, here you go, try this situation. You've been out in a bad storm for most of the day. You're tired, hungry, wet and cold. You have the ability to set up your tent, change, get warm and eat. Would you be in a rush to get that done when you arrive at your destination? It's simple really, but to each their own.
Your a FunnyGuy.

FamilyGuy
08-19-2011, 15:48
Again, re-read. wow. Listen up. I didn't say it takes under two minutes. I didn't say it was an issue. I'm just stating the fact that I doubt that timing is true. Do you get that? You obviously give a "crud" for some strange reason. Clear the crud out of your eyes and try reading again. It's OK to think a bit. Give it a try. This is a message board familyguy, it's made for discussion, whether it's something you get, like, agree with or not, it's a discussion on hand. Stop being a troll if you have nothing to add accept complaints for you inability to read properly. Maybe you just like to whine. Any other ridiculous three sentence replies to something you don't get? Go a head, give it a try. Maybe you can make it to four an make it interesting.
And sometimes I am in a rush to get somewhere, sometimes I'm not. What business is that if yours? Why would you care about my timing?
OK, here you go, try this situation. You've been out in a bad storm for most of the day. You're tired, hungry, wet and cold. You have the ability to set up your tent, change, get warm and eat. Would you be in a rush to get that done when you arrive at your destination? It's simple really, but to each their own.
Your a FunnyGuy.

I don't care about your timing or if you have 4 fingers and two thumbs and this means using your mouth to assist with set up, but you suggested to Franco that under 2 minutes would be pushing it. Now this is even without a.) these shelters being available and b.) you having one in your 4 fingered hand. So clearly this IS something on your mind. Is the timing an issue because there aren't instructions for you? Is it because there are instructions but they are written in pen instead of crayon? Is this an issue because your Daddy didn't say he loved you enough? Or is this an issue because you can't actually find anything worth saying about the shelter so just for poops and giggles you determined that the tent could not be set up in 2 minutes or less?

The point is...who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 4. Lets talk about design.

leaftye
08-19-2011, 16:07
Posting the ideal setup time is worthwhile, but so is pointing out that there's a limited area in which stakes can be placed.

hshires
08-19-2011, 17:47
Proof of 2-minute (actually 1:52) setup time now posted. It's not a very interesting video and we'll do a proper one with audio and explanation of features/ multiple setups etc. later this Fall.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html#videos

-H

FamilyGuy
08-19-2011, 19:21
Thanks Henry - the video angle really shows off the hybrid Mid design!

q-tip
08-20-2011, 18:52
This looks like a drag to setup.( I have the contrail and cloudburst) I would love to see Henry move the Contrail and Moment to Cuben fiber---That would be really great....

Kia Kaha
08-20-2011, 19:41
I don't know about this statement "Substantially more usable floor space and volume than any comparably poled shelter" as it still appears to have less floor space than the Lunar Duo. Good luck squeezing 3 people in a 52" wide tent, looks like that would not be a fun night sleep. I like the weight savings of tarptents and SMD shelters, I have the SMD Lunar Duo and used to have the solo, they do mist in heavy rain and you do have to learn to manage the condensation, but like anything it is manageable. I do get a bit confused by the constant trying to come up with new designs that at the end of the day just do not seem to make much difference. I am just not seeing anything exciting with this shelter that has not been done before, but then I have been on a quest for greater comfort lately and have begun to us a Hammock and love it. Anyway I just can not see anything that would have me trading in my Double Rainbow, Cloudburst, Lunar Duo, etc. to get this tent.

FamilyGuy
08-20-2011, 21:56
Where have you seen a double walled (linked and modular) modified mid designed shelter that uses trekking poles prior to this one? Curious.

leaftye
08-20-2011, 22:36
I don't know about this statement "Substantially more usable floor space and volume than any comparably poled shelter" as it still appears to have less floor space than the Lunar Duo.

'Usable' is the key word.

hshires
08-20-2011, 23:04
Kia Kaha, I posted this diagram on another forum but I hope this helps explain the usable volume and floor space improvement. There is no other comparably poled shelter that does better in the same footprint.

Q-tip, not sure how a sub 2-minute setup is a pain but certainly that time is pretty comparable to a Cloudburst. Agree that the Moment setup is faster.

-H

Kia Kaha
08-20-2011, 23:10
'Usable' is the key word.

4 adults sitting up playing cards in a Duo seems pretty usable to me, key word is substantially in my book, and I disagree.

Kia Kaha
08-20-2011, 23:19
Kia Kaha, I posted this diagram on another forum but I hope this helps explain the usable volume and floor space improvement. There is no other comparably poled shelter that does better in the same footprint.

Q-tip, not sure how a sub 2-minute setup is a pain but certainly that time is pretty comparable to a Cloudburst. Agree that the Moment setup is faster.

-H

It looks better to me, just not "substantially better than the Duo, that's all I am saying. You say none does better here, on your site you use the word "substantially", which means considerable, and I disagree with that statement it does not have considerable or substantially more usable space than the Lunar Duo, it is comparable. It does have quite a bit more space than the Double Rainbow, but so does the Lunar Duo. It looks like a well thought out shelter and a good design, it just does not make me want to run out and buy it, and comparing it to an a-frame is a bit outdated, how many folks are sleeping in an a-frame? Just my thoughts.

Kia Kaha
08-20-2011, 23:32
Where have you seen a double walled (linked and modular) modified mid designed shelter that uses trekking poles prior to this one? Curious.

I know there is a lot of TT love around and that's great. If you think it's never been done or seen, great. I am just not that impressed, my opinion. Why does a double wall with trekking poles impress you? What advantage does the full net give? Not much I am betting, you can open the DR or Lunar Duo all the way up on the sides for adequate ventilation. How about a bug bivy and a tarp? That's basically what the solo is, modified of course. there are many ways and shelter options they all have advantages and disadvantages. That's why I am mostly Hammocking these days, only need 2 trees which is great in the mid-atlantic-midwest forests, can set up a porch with my tarp allowing tons of space for cooking and such and talk about comfort (it took a while to find the right one). That is what is working for me these days. Hey hike your own hike as long as you are getting out there I am all for it, this shelter just does nothing for me, Sorry you just can't convince me.

leaftye
08-20-2011, 23:54
It looks better to me, just not "substantially better than the Duo, that's all I am saying. You say none does better here, on your site you use the word "substantially", which means considerable, and I disagree with that statement it does not have considerable or substantially more usable space than the Lunar Duo, it is comparable. It does have quite a bit more space than the Double Rainbow, but so does the Lunar Duo. It looks like a well thought out shelter and a good design, it just does not make me want to run out and buy it, and comparing it to an a-frame is a bit outdated, how many folks are sleeping in an a-frame? Just my thoughts.

The figure that Henry uses results in about a 15% difference. That's substantial. That's the about the difference between a Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Corvette, and those two cars are not comparable.

hshires
08-21-2011, 00:18
I... this shelter just does nothing for me, Sorry you just can't convince me.

Not trying to convince you. Stick with what you like/works for you by all means. Just responding to points you raised.

-H

Kia Kaha
08-21-2011, 06:29
The figure that Henry uses results in about a 15% difference. That's substantial. That's the about the difference between a Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Corvette, and those two cars are not comparable.

15% difference in what? The A-frame it is compared to? That I can agree that is substantial, but not over the Duo, which as I stated is a comparable shelter. Why is 15% more space needed, like I said I can 4 adults sitting up playing cards in the Duo, even if you could get 15% more space why? Just to say mine's larger?

Kia Kaha
08-21-2011, 06:29
Not trying to convince you. Stick with what you like/works for you by all means. Just responding to points you raised.

-H

I appreciate your response and the work that goes into you shelters/designs.

NotYet
08-21-2011, 18:33
I love our Lunar Duo, but I really like the fact that you can set this one up as a tarp by itself when bug season is over! Plus it looks like this TT has better ventilation.

My understanding is that you could set up the tarp in the rain, then get under to set up the netting--keeping the netting and floor dry (and conversely take down netting/floor 1st--keeping it dry in the rain). Is this a correct interpretation? I think this looks like a very versatile shelter! I'm definitely interested.

hshires
08-21-2011, 19:02
My understanding is that you could set up the tarp in the rain, then get under to set up the netting--keeping the netting and floor dry (and conversely take down netting/floor 1st--keeping it dry in the rain). Is this a correct interpretation?

Yes, like the Scarp and Hogback, the StratoSpire has a full clip-in/clip-out interior. You can leave the interior attached for setup/takedown or install/detach it separately.

mykl
08-23-2011, 11:10
I don't care about your timing or if you have 4 fingers and two thumbs and this means using your mouth to assist with set up, but you suggested to Franco that under 2 minutes would be pushing it. Now this is even without a.) these shelters being available and b.) you having one in your 4 fingered hand. So clearly this IS something on your mind. Is the timing an issue because there aren't instructions for you? Is it because there are instructions but they are written in pen instead of crayon? Is this an issue because your Daddy didn't say he loved you enough? Or is this an issue because you can't actually find anything worth saying about the shelter so just for poops and giggles you determined that the tent could not be set up in 2 minutes or less?

The point is...who cares if it takes 2 minutes or 4. Lets talk about design.

Well really, I'm glad you got more than three sentences out this time, good going! Now if it was something substantial that would be better. I did talk design, I gave my opinion on that, and yes, read this, my OPINION on the timing. Maybe someone interested in this tent needs/wants to know about things like that. I think they should get opinions, and I gave mine. One thing you are right about is "who cares"? Some might, who are you to judge? It's part of the discussion. Get it? No, I doubt it. I think you should re-read all my posts on this thread and really try to understand that even though you might have started this thread, you really haven't added much but complaints and disagreement. BTW, I have all my fingers, but you really shouldn't mock people with only four. It's wrong and disrespectful. Grow up! And just let it go, theres a start for you.

FamilyGuy
08-23-2011, 12:06
Well really, I'm glad you got more than three sentences out this time, good going! Now if it was something substantial that would be better. I did talk design, I gave my opinion on that, and yes, read this, my OPINION on the timing. Maybe someone interested in this tent needs/wants to know about things like that. I think they should get opinions, and I gave mine. One thing you are right about is "who cares"? Some might, who are you to judge? It's part of the discussion. Get it? No, I doubt it. I think you should re-read all my posts on this thread and really try to understand that even though you might have started this thread, you really haven't added much but complaints and disagreement. BTW, I have all my fingers, but you really shouldn't mock people with only four. It's wrong and disrespectful. Grow up! And just let it go, theres a start for you.

My 9 year old can whine better than you.

With respect to your excellent analysis of tent design, you posted a reply to a comment not directed at you but which implies a need to 'stir the pot.' Does this ring a bell?

"lmao!!!!
....hosed!"

I have your perfect shelter, by the way. This should help you save some time and not have an issue with rocky soil:

http://camptents.com/SpecPages/PopUpTents/PinnaclePopUpTents/PinnaclePopUpTentXPP60-2.htm

Just for clairification, this design is NOT a modified Mid and has no relation to the Stratospire. It can also be set up by someone with only 4 fingered hands. You will be happy.

mykl
08-23-2011, 15:00
My 9 year old can whine better than you.

With respect to your excellent analysis of tent design, you posted a reply to a comment not directed at you but which implies a need to 'stir the pot.' Does this ring a bell?

"lmao!!!!
....hosed!"

I have your perfect shelter, by the way. This should help you save some time and not have an issue with rocky soil:

http://camptents.com/SpecPages/PopUpTents/PinnaclePopUpTents/PinnaclePopUpTentXPP60-2.htm

Just for clairification, this design is NOT a modified Mid and has no relation to the Stratospire. It can also be set up by someone with only 4 fingered hands. You will be happy.
I really just don't understand what your issue is with four fingered people. It's just rude and wrong. You really should treat them like anyone else.
And yes, I found that funny. Stirring the pot or whatever, it was needed. Did I upset you with that? Poor baby.
Of course your 9 year old can whine good, he/she learned from the best....you! Poor kid learning such horrible things. I feel bad for that kid. Probably going to grow up to be a racist, I mean you know with your attitude towards four fingered people and all. I'm sure your bigotry doesn't stop there.
Learn to engage in a conversation and try to understand that it's not all about you. Some people, unlike you, have their own thoughts. You should respect that and learn from it.
That poor kid, it's just not right to be in such a hostile environment.
Poor, poor kid.
Just stop and grow up fella, you got a poor kid to raise. That poor, poor kid.

hshires
08-23-2011, 15:36
I ask both of you gentlemen to take this inanity elsewhere.

Agree to disagree and move on.

Thanks.

Henry

Singletrack
08-23-2011, 17:32
I am beginning to like this tent. It does not seem to me that it has a real large footprint. The dimensions look like 8.5 ft. from door to door, and 84 inches plus, from end to end. It weighs 8oz. more than my current Tarptent. That could be a game changer for me. Only if I could cut my weight by 8 oz. Easier said, than done.

Franco
11-07-2011, 01:31
Now that Henry has posted his version of the StratoSpire set up

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html#videos
this is mine :
<a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyQT9JHloQM">TT SS2 set up</a>

This is my second full set up. The first time it took me about 2:40 sec.
After playing with it for a while I took it down and set it up again and this is it.
Franco

Echraide
11-07-2011, 04:20
I would love to see Henry move the Contrail and Moment to Cuben fiber

I would like to see this as well.

Franco
11-07-2011, 15:33
A Moment in Cuben would be double the cost for maybe 5-7 oz less weight.
If Cuben was better in every respect than it could be worth doing, but I don't think so...

A couple of shots to show what the SS2 looks like in tarp mode.
(it can be set higher ...)
Mostly it should show that you get a lot of usable space for the footprint as well as the weight.
(I'm 5'8")

Franco
[email protected]