PDA

View Full Version : First Steps on the AT

Double Wide
08-02-2011, 17:11
Hello everyone,

I've been camping for years, hiking a bunch more lately, but I'm brand-spankin' new to backpacking. I've got some decent gear, and after reading pretty much the entire AT library available at Amazon, I'm planning a northbound thru-hike for 2013. I've got a long weekend coming up at the end of September, and I was planning on doing a quick overnighter on the trail in Georgia.

Actually, I was thinking of parking at the Forest Service parking lot on Springer and hiking to the Hawk Mountain shelter, spending the night, and then hiking back. *Maybe* even going southbound on the approach trail after that (shuttling back won't be a problem, I have family willing to help). So I have a couple of questions:

Can I leave my truck up there at the parking lot? Any fees or anything? Is the road an actual road or is it more of a rutted dirt track?
Are there any cool side trails or attractions to see on the way in case I want to spend another night?
Any decent tenting areas there at Hawk Mtn shelter?
Also, after the trip, how long of a drive is it to get to Mountain Crossings from the parking area there at Springer? I kinda want to bring all my gear and get the shake-down out of the way after this 'practice' run.

I'm still in the very basic planning stages of this idea that just occurred to me last night over dinner, so these are the first questions I could think of. If anyone has any other tidbits of helpful info, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks all--

Chatter98
08-02-2011, 17:27
The parking lot for Springer at FS42 is free and it is fairly safe to leave your car there. I was just there this weekend. Around Hawk Mtn. Shelter there are tons of places to camp, and there is a cat that lives at the shelter. If you are getting water at the shelter, go to the back side of the shelter and with your back facing the back side of the shelter find the blue marker off to the left. This is the water source, there is a PVC pipe set, so you will be able to get water very easily. Allot of people miss where the water is at the shelter.

Around this section of trail the Benton Mckye trail crosses and even joins the AT for a while. Some day hikers do a loop around the Benton and take the AT back to the parking lot. Not sure how far away Mountain Crossings is.

The road is a dirt road, but it is not too terrible, there are some deep holes, but overall most cars should make it.

One attraction that allot of people usually recommends is the falls that are a mile and a half after three forks, you can see them from the trail. I would at least hike up springer, the view is spectacular, a great place to take a snack.

This section of trail supposedly is not too difficult unless,like me you are old and out of shape. I found some difficulty as I have not backpacked in years and my pacing was all off. This should give you a good gauge of where you are at physically.

Hope this helps.

Lone Wolf
08-02-2011, 20:33
you don't need a "shake-down" at mtn. crossings. it's a business. figure out what works and doesn't on your own. too many hikers spend too much $$$ there for stuff not needed

Blissful
08-02-2011, 20:42
Just do the Springer to Neel Gap section. Only takes a few days and will give you a good taste.

bigcranky
08-02-2011, 20:43
I'd do the shakedown anyway. Just for information, you don't have to buy anything two years out from a thru-hike. Spend the next 18 months doing weekend backpacking trips and you'll get the gear and technique figured out.

cavediver256
08-02-2011, 20:44
Yeah if you head northbound from Springer for 30 miles, you will pop right out at Mountain Crossing for that shake down. Sorta killing two birds with one stone. :D

Double Wide
08-02-2011, 22:11
Thanks guys! I'd love to do the Springer to Neels Gap section, but I'll only have one night, maybe two, so I wouldn't be able to do all 30 miles of that section this trip. I just wanted to hike a few miles on the trail with my gear and get a little taste.

I may not do a complete shake-down at Mountain Crossings, but I'll probably drop a buck or two in there anyways--it's an iconic spot, and I want to check it out and support businesses along the trail whenever I can.

Rain Man
08-03-2011, 10:36
Thanks guys! I'd love to do the Springer to Neels Gap section, but I'll only have one night, maybe two, so I wouldn't be able to do all 30 miles of that section this trip. I just wanted to hike a few miles on the trail with my gear and get a little taste.

To answer one of your first questions, there are plenty of tent sites at Hawk Mountain Shelter, yes. As far as the above, I'm not sure I follow. It's about 32 miles from Springer to Neels Gap. If you have two nights, you could "easily" do it in three days and two nights, at 11 miles a day. Of course, maybe your conditioning isn't good enough yet for that mileage. Or maybe you don't mean two nights on the trail? Or don't realize you can arrange a shuttle? Maybe if not Neels Gap, you could finish at Woody Gap, where a paved highway crosses?

As far as FS 42, I drove up it in a Dodge Caravan back in '03, in pouring rain and fog after midnight. It was slow and tedious, but we made it just fine.

Also, I encourage folks not to overlook asking questions of the Georgia AT Club. They were a friendly group and a great help when I had all your questions.
Georgia AT Club web site (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

I'm not sure which Cottontown you're in, but if near Nashville, we are having a monthly backpacker meeting this Thursday evening at a Cajun restaurant in Hendersonville. Care to come out and join us? The group is "Nashville Backpacker" on meetup.com.

Whatever you decide, hiking Georgia in September should be great. Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

Brewerbob
08-03-2011, 10:46

I may not do a complete shake-down at Mountain Crossings, but I'll probably drop a buck or two in there anyways--it's an iconic spot, and I want to check it out and support businesses along the trail whenever I can.Also a newbie and doing weekends.

What's your pack weight? First weekend out I went without a pack at all but had my camera (roughly 6 lbs). I hiked 3 miles turned around and went back. Total of 6 miles in about 3 hrs. Not the same as backpacking I know.

Second time out I had a 35 lb pack. First time I've worn a backpack that wasn't my camera or a book bag "backpack". Hiked about 8 miles. Took about 5 hrs including the time perched at the summit. Shoulders were sore and my left foot was sliding around in my boot. No blister but it hurt. Didn't want to press my luck with the foot the next day.

Anywho, my point is if you have 3 days and 2 nights, 30 miles is not out of the question for being doable. I didn't get started until mid morning and quit early afternoon. Sat on my butt a good bit catching my breath and cooling off (the 8 miles was during the heat wave). This was all done in S. PA so I don't know if the terrain is similar or not.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
08-14-2011, 16:50
Hi Double Wide. I too am just starting the planning of my 2013 hike. So far I have not recieved much support from the wife. I am just starting to purchase my gear. After years of dreaming and boyscouting exp, it's about time to knock this off the ole bucket list. That being said, im gonna "hi-jack" your thread so i can learn from you. Good luck brother!

Jeff "Nado" Wise

Double Wide
08-14-2011, 22:29
Hey Nado--

Hi-jack away! Kinda seems like that what happens 'round here anyways. But I'm in the same boat as you with regards to planning this long walk. On this trip in September, I won't be able to go all the way to Neel's Gap. I may have two nights (possibly), but that third day would be a get-off-the-trail as early as possible day and get on the road back home. No chance of doing 11 or 12 miles that day, spending any quality time at Mountain Crossing, and then hopping in the truck and driving all the way back to Nashville and getting home at a reasonable hour.

I'm just going to do a quick out-and-back, because 1) I'm in no shape to do 30 miles in the north Georgia mountains in three days just yet, and 2) if I hike to Neel's Gap, then it'd feel like I was starting a section hike, and psychologically--at least for me--I just don't want to do that.

FatMan
08-15-2011, 08:20
Since you want to get to Mountain Crossings why not end at Neels gap and start at Gooch Gap. Easy car access at both ends and about 15 miles total distance. Good example of what to expect on the AT with several great views. And since you want to use your tent you could camp at Jarrard Gap (about 10 miles) where there is always water somewhere down the trail to Lake Winfield Scott. That would leave you about 5 miles to Neels.

Jeffrey Scott Wise
08-15-2011, 12:09
DW, Id like to hear more thoughts, im still in getting gear mode, this fall im going to start a short pack trip (4miles) at beach bottom in Cohutta, and work up from there. I was recently diagnosed with high BP, so i have to take it slow (i guess thats what 20 years of IT jobs will do). I have picked up a wealth of info from this board already. Really looking forward to this chapter in my life.