PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah National Park

trailfinder
02-10-2005, 12:57
I am looking for a thirty mile plus stretch of the AT in the Shenandoah National Park to backpack with two buddies. I have not been on the AT in the SNP. I will be driving from Durham, NC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what would be considered a great hike in the SNP!

Lone Wolf
02-10-2005, 13:04
Blackrock Gap, Skyline Drive mile marker 87.4 to Big Meadows. About 40 AT miles.

jlb2012
02-10-2005, 13:25
I am looking for a thirty mile plus stretch of the AT in the Shenandoah National Park to backpack with two buddies. I have not been on the AT in the SNP. I will be driving from Durham, NC.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what would be considered a great hike in the SNP!

Well its hard to say what would be considered a great hike in SNP on the AT - the AT in SNP has a few good overlooks such as Black Rock Summit and Hightop in the South District, Bear Fence and Mary's Rock in the Central District etc. Some parts of the AT that go through the same overlooks as the Skyline Drive folks see and infact the closeness of SD tends to make the AT in SNP somewhat less remote than other areas - motorcycles on SD in particular can often be easily heard from the AT. A lot of the hiking in the summer is just more green tunnel; spring is nice with wildflowers, winter is good for better views, and of course the leaf peeping in the fall. All together however I am afaid that there is little in SNP on the AT that I would consider a great hike. The trail itself is good for making miles without too many PUDs and if you are planning on doing this after May 25th or so most of the conviences will be open such as the campstores, waysides, lodges, and resteraunts. there is a graduated schedule of openings with CD Big Meadows and Skyland opening fairly early - late March IIRC. As to suggested sections well I guess the Central district from Swift Run Gap to Thorton Gap is probably the most interesting but the South District is nice in that it tends to be fewer people there. I have done some of the North District from Thorton Gap up to Gravel Springs but I don't recall anything particularly special - expensive hamburger at Elkwallow Wayside is about all that stands out in my mind - that and the raccoons at Gravel Springs Hut. If you do the CD I would recommend the rock scramble at Bear Fence (trail closely parallels the AT) and taking the Salamander Tr. up to Hawksbill summit as well as the short side trail to Mary's Rock. In the South District I would probably recommend taking the Jone's Run Tr. and Doyle River Tr. just to see some water falls. In CD there is also the South River Falls that is worth a look. As with many things it mostly depends on the hiking speed, goals, and personal interests - your choice. If you have specific questions ask and I'll try to answer.

Later edit - Lone Wolf's suggestion is a good one but you miss Mary's Rock and Hawksbill.

BlackCloud
02-10-2005, 13:35
Wherever you go, the hiking is easy & the views are nice, particualry in winter, when they're seemingly unending.

The only time the park is even remotely busy, is in October. I recommend the park w/o leaves however.

The stretch from Beagle Gap north is good; but so is Elkwallow Gap north out of the park.

Nothing in SNP is "the best", but it's all easy, pleasant, and scenic.... :sun

kncats
02-10-2005, 15:02
If you're coming from NC does that mean you're more interetsed in the southern (Rockfish to Swift Run Gaps) section? Did you want to do a loop so you end up back where you started (can't do on just the AT but plenty of side trails will do it)? If you want to stay on the AT, did you want to go straight up it for 30 some odd miles or go 15 and turn around and head back to where you started? My wife and I hike there regularly, we're planning on four days over the President's Day weekend. Check out http://ajheatwole.com/guide for enough ideas to keep you busy for many long weekends. It has a lot of good ideas for circuit hikes that involve using the side trails. In the winter, with the trees bare, there are many very good views that most people will never see.

I agree with HOI that there are probably no GREAT hikes if you stay just on the AT, all though the summit of Bear Fence Mt. comes close. You'll still have to take a blue blazed trail to get to the actual summit.

Spirit Walker
02-10-2005, 15:36
One thing you mind consider is doing a loop hike, with the AT as the connector. The side trails often go to interesting places, with waterfalls, rock scrambles, etc. Heading down off the ridge is more strenuous than staying high, but it is often more interesting. Get the PATC guidebook for the Shenandoahs and the maps and see what you can come up with.

Lobo
02-10-2005, 15:36
I checked my 2000 journal and found that I hiked the 104 miles on the AT through the Park in 5 days. The only section that was mildly rocky was the 15 miles between Rock Spring Hut and Pass Mountain Hut. In the other sections the Trail was mostly dirt with the ascents & descents easied by switchbacks.

An interesting loop off the AT is from Marker 43 taking the Whiteoak Canyon Trail east 2 miles to the parking on Rt. 600. Follow this dirt road (Berry Hollow Fire Road) north 1 mile back into the park and take the Saddle Ridge Trail to the summit of Old Rag Mountain. Enjoy some time at the summit and then retrace your steps back down the Saddle Ridge Trail to the crossroad and continue west on the Old Rag Fire Road back to Marker 43. Use Map 10 of the Shenandoah National Park Central Section for this and other rewarding side trips that will be worth the effort.

Peaks
02-11-2005, 20:59
One thing you mind consider is doing a loop hike, with the AT as the connector. The side trails often go to interesting places, with waterfalls, rock scrambles, etc. Heading down off the ridge is more strenuous than staying high, but it is often more interesting. Get the PATC guidebook for the Shenandoahs and the maps and see what you can come up with.

The best parts of SNP are off the ridge and off the AT. Look at the maps and plan yourself a nice loop hike by doing some of the blue blazed trails.

Skyline
02-11-2005, 22:39
The best parts of SNP are off the ridge and off the AT. Look at the maps and plan yourself a nice loop hike by doing some of the blue blazed trails.

Totally agree. The best of SNP is not necessarily on the AT. Some fine loops that intersect the AT are:

Jones Run Trail/Doyles River Trail in the South District--several good waterfalls and a few primitive campsites if you look for them. (PATC Map 11.)

Anything involving the Big Run watershed and any of the trails that intersect it and wind up back on the AT. Plenty of primitive campsites. (PATC Map 11.)

Rose River Falls Loop off the AT at Fishers Gap, possibly encompassing the lower part of Dark Hollow Falls Trail in the Central District. Campsites near the bottom where the Rose River and Hogcamp Branch converge. (PATC Map 10.)

As HOI said, in the Central District take the Salamander Trail up to Hawksbill Summit (highest point in SNP, 360-degree views), but THEN take the blue-blazed trail down to Hawksbill Gap, cross Skyline Drive, and follow Cedar Run Trail down into Berry Hollow, connect with the White Oak Canyon Trail, and hike back up to Skyline Drive past six waterfalls to near the Skyland Stables where you can reconnect with the AT. A few so-so campsites along Cedar Run, and a few more if you're real stealthy along White Oak Canyon (look out for no-camping zones). (PATC Map 10.)

Lobo's Old Rag suggestion is a good one, but it's a lot further than two miles from Skyline Drive to Rt. 600. More like five. No camping on Old Rag. (PATC Map 10.)

In the North District, leave the AT at the Thornton River Trail connector, take a short hike down to the Drive, cross it and go three miles down the Thornton River Trail, turn left on the Hull School Trail, go to Piney Branch, ford it, and turn left back up to the AT via several options. Camping options galore. (PATC Map 9.)

In the North District, a loop involving the Jeremys Run Trail and watershed with either Knob Mt. or Neighbor Mt. Various wet campsites along Jeremys Run, and some nice dry sites on Knob Mt. (PATC Map 9.)