PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Use for Rain Gear?

jdaly07
08-02-2011, 19:45
My boyfriend and I are going on a 7 day trip on the NY section in a few weeks and are looking into rain gear. Originally we were going to bring the usual pack cover and rain jacket, (probably skip rain pants) but took a trip to REI and saw a poncho that covers both you and the pack. I can't seem to find any other brands of this poncho online besides the one REI carries (Outdoor Products Packframe Poncho) but thought it sounded like a great idea. Anyone have experience with this? I'm also interested to hear what everyone else uses for rain gear (specific brands would be great).

harryfred
08-02-2011, 19:56
No pack cover all my stuff is in a contractors trash bag and in zip locks. In ths weather I just get wet no rain gear. If it gets colder I have a Coleman rain suit i got at Walmart rugged and functional for more $$ you can get good gear that is lighter with pit vents. I also always have some thing dry to put on at the end of the day. Last Wool socks and no cotton not even cotton blends in colder weather.

dillard
08-02-2011, 20:22
Look into the Packa, it is a poncho & pack cover in one and there are tons of rave reviews for it here on WB. I just use a poncho and the pack cover that came with my osprey, works great.

Blissful
08-02-2011, 20:28
Marmot Precip jacket, and hubby likes his dri ducks.

bigcranky
08-02-2011, 20:45
A poncho will work fine to cover you and your pack. There are plenty out there - check the Golite or the Equinox silnylon versions to save some weight. Ponchos are definitely old-school hiking gear. The only real downside is in very windy rainy conditions, and on tricky trail since you can't really see your feet.

Red Hat
08-02-2011, 20:53
My first few times on the AT, I used Marmot jackets, usually Precip. In 2010, I used a Packa for my AT thruhike and loved it. This year I am taking DriDucks on my JMT hike for two reasons. 1. they are light.... 2.They are opaque and I can wear them when I do laundry. (my packa is see-through, but I had clothing changes to wear last year) By the way, any of the above are satisfactory, it just depends upon your needs.)

-SEEKER-
08-02-2011, 21:23
OUTDOOR RESEARCH (OR) Pack Hoodie. Covers the pack and you can pull out an attached fitted piece that covers your shoulders and has a hood. Learned this year not to wear rain jacket or rain paints while hiking, but to use them at camp to keep warm.

sbhikes
08-02-2011, 22:49
I like an umbrella and rain chaps. And a garbage bag for a pack-cover or just my stuff in bags inside my pack.

Jersey Tim
08-03-2011, 00:40
Another vote for an umbrella here. I know I'm in the minority, but I like it.

dillard
08-03-2011, 00:54

Ive just never understood occupying a hand you may need with a piece of gear you can wear... but that's why you HYOH.

chiefduffy
08-03-2011, 01:00
My umbrella is supported by my left packstrap and a couple of tiny bungee cords. Hands free and open air. Of course, like a poncho, it won't work in really stormy conditions.

Wil
08-03-2011, 01:50
I use a hazmat suit, separate jacket (hooded) and pants. Also available in one-piece suits. Made from tyvek.

Cheap, lightweight and functional. For occasional light rain it's a near perfect solution. In heavy prolonged rain on multiple occasions, the disadvantages start to show. Day after day of moderate/heavy rain would make it a marginal choice at best.

I don't seal the seams so there's some leakage in sustained downpours. Very little breathability or venting. Not durable enough for bushwhacking.

jnl82381
08-03-2011, 05:52
Most of the time when it rained, i didn't wear a jacket at all, only used the pack cover. When there was a cold rain, that's when i'd put on my rain jacket. I used an REI jacket with their version of Gortex. As i also used my rain jacket as my shell layer for wind and cold, I don't think a poncho would have worked as well for me.

nathan2
08-03-2011, 09:26
I like disposable ponchos for the AT.

sbhikes
08-03-2011, 10:22
My umbrella is supported by my left packstrap and a couple of tiny bungee cords. Hands free and open air. Of course, like a poncho, it won't work in really stormy conditions.

Mine is, too. I used it on the PCT and used it for both sun and rain. In high winds, I held the front with one or two hands and it worked fine. Where it didn't work that well was in brushy conditions where you are pushing your way through wet brush.

bigmac_in
08-03-2011, 10:22
I've used the disposable poncho's, but found them too hot. I now use frog toggs, and a cheap pack cover. I don't worry about the pack much, because most everything I put in there is in ziplocs.

lush242000
08-03-2011, 16:35
First off let me say that I despise ponchos. They are a pain to put on in wind. They blow all over the place. They are pain to fold up. I would suggest you just put your gear in a trash bag, use some rain gear, and maybe a pack cover, but avoid the poncho.

And yes, I learned this the hard way between Whitetop Mtn and Mt Rogers.

Pioneer Spirit
08-03-2011, 16:44
I found my Sea-to-summit poncho tends to ride up and fall off one side of the pack. Go-lite makes a nice umbrella and someone made one from sylnylon that uses sticks found on the trail for the ribs.

One nice looking Sterns raincoat from walmart failed in a horizontal PA mountaintop when needed the most. The seams all leak and a replacement Coleman wasn't much better. Both are fine for walking out to the mailbox but that is about all. Your perspiration equals any rain fended off.

I am going to try the Frog toggs next but I have access to a pile of white tyvek coveralls that may work if you tape the major seams with tyvek tape. I figure you can cut apart two coveralls and make a long jacket from one and high waist pants out of the other.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=379001110&mc=159&t=&lat=

http://froggtoggsoutlet.com/dridura1.html

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tyvek+coveralls

trippclark
08-03-2011, 17:27

Ditto. Switched to umbrella 9 years ago and have never regretted this.

Jersey Tim
08-03-2011, 18:34
Ive just never understood occupying a hand you may need with a piece of gear you can wear... but that's why you HYOH.

It's pretty easy to rig to a pack strap when necessary, but the real advantage is if you need to stop and do anything... like a bathroom break in the middle of the woods. Much easier to do this under cover than while wearing a poncho, I think.

johnnybgood
08-03-2011, 18:35
Nothing fancy . Cheap Coleman rain jacket with hood kept me dry on the rainiest day this past April .
REI pack covers are actually of pretty good quality and I also use an inner pack trash bag & dry sacs

dirtbagger.

I'm gimpy
08-03-2011, 18:52
Campmor carries a poncho that covers your pack, I can't remember the brand though. I think it was around $30?

Pioneer Spirit
08-03-2011, 19:46
I just ordered some frogg toggs after reading this post series. Can't wait to try them out.

nathan2
08-03-2011, 20:58
I just ordered some frogg toggs after reading this post series. Can't wait to try them out.

I liked my frogg toggs coat. I'm sure you have or will hear a bunch about their lack of ventilation and how they tend to "decompose" after extended use. Yet for the price and weight, not to mention they can double as a wind breaker above tree line, I think they are worth it. I'm still a fan of the 99 cent poncho though lol.

Rain Man
08-03-2011, 21:37
Most of the time when it rained, i didn't wear a jacket at all....

Same here, in warm weather. LOVE summer showers when all hot and sweaty and grimy.

I liked my frogg toggs coat.

Same here. I bought an expensive Marmot Precip jacket and finally returned it. It sucked. Always felt clammy inside and stuck to my skin as if it had glue. Plus, it seemed to leak worse than any Frogg Togg I've used.

No pack cover all my stuff is in a contractors trash bag and in zip locks.

Same here. No pack cover. Trash compactor bag inside my pack, with special stuff in zip locks or Reynolds oven roaster bags (they are tough!) inside the big bag.

Rain:sunMan

lush242000
08-04-2011, 09:19

I can't speak for long term use, but I bought some frogg toggs and took them for a week on the middle fork of the salmon river in Idaho. They kept me dry during rain storms and big rapids. They fold up pretty small and came with their own carrying case. Lightweight. Cheap. You do look like you are wearing a paper bag though.

Wise Old Owl
08-04-2011, 09:35
Apparently Rain man & I do the same things.... I prefer a poncho to the other types of rain gear so its dual versitility, or I can pitch it for Rugby or put it between trees...

Lyle
08-04-2011, 10:08
To be honest, I haven't read this entire thread. Rain gear choice seems to be a very personal decision depending on what pros and cons are acceptable to you. No rain gear is perfect.

This is the conclusion I've come to, but it may change in the future:

I've tried these fabrics (in order of rain effectiveness):

Coated nylon - very effective keeping rain off. Very hot and sweaty. Heavy, doesn't pack small, relatively cheap, no real insulation very effective wind layer.
Silnylon - slightly less effective at keeping rain off than coated nylon. Hot and sweaty, uncomfortable on bare skin (but most hikers will have a base layer underneath, so not a problem) Very light and packs very small, moderate priced, zero insulation, very effective wind layer.
FroggTogg (generic) - pretty effective keeping rain off (between GoreTex and Silnylon), most effective at breathability, pretty light, not real compressible, adds some insulation, cheap, effective wind layer.
GoreTex - so-so effective at keeping rain off. Minimal breathability, especially when wet and cold. Heavy, doesn't pack small, expensive, adds substantial insulation, very effective wind layer.

I've also tried these garment types:

Calf-length slicker - very effective keeping rain off, too hot, heavy, bulky, extra pack protection needed
Short rain jacket - effective keeping rain off upper body, shorts/legs become saturated, water runs into boots, thus soaking feet quickly
Backpack poncho - effective keeping rain off upper body and legs, relatively heavy and bulky, pain to put on by yourself, problematic in windy conditions but plenty of comfortable ventilation when not so windy, must choose between pack protection or rain gear when at camp.
Rain chaps - very effective keeping rain off legs and out of boots, not so much for shorts, no protection when sitting on wet log, light, compact.
Rain pants - very effective keeping rain off legs and shorts, thus out of boots. Light, protection when sitting.
Rain Wrap - very effective keeping rain off legs and shorts, out of boots, extremely light, protection when sitting, very compact, plenty of ventilation, multi-use.
Pack cover - so-so effective keeping rain off pack, very light, very compact, protection when pack is off, you can still use your raingear. Pack covers do not replace plastic bags inside the pack, they are just one more layer of protection and keep your pack itself reasonably dry and light.
Gaiters (breathable) - keeps rain/wet out of boots. I use them for snow or extreme mud conditions, otherwise they are too hot/sweaty, even the breathable ones.

My current rain gear:

BrawnyGear silnylon pull-over with hood. EXTREMELY light and compact
ULA RainWrap - EXTEMELY light and compact
ULA Pack cover - EXTEMELY light and compact, water tends to pool in bottom, must occasionally empty, must make sure items in bottom of pack are in plastic or not dependent on being dry. The 2oz is worth it.

My total weight is under 10 oz and packs VERY small. I don't wear it in warm, light rain - have used this set-up in heavy, all-day downpours, windy sleet/snow mix, and intermittent moderate rain. You will be damp/wet after hiking in any rain gear, but you will also remain warm by keeping the wind and direct cold rain off of you. This is the actual value of rain gear. This set-up is the lightest I've found and works as well as anything I've used over 30+ years of backpacking.

As I've said, nothing is perfect, but this is the set of Pros/Cons I've decided on for now.

Kerosene
08-04-2011, 10:48
Over the course of my hiking career I've used:

Poncho with chaps
First- and second-generation Gore-tex parkas with coated nylon or silnyl rain pants
Frogg Toggs
DriDucks
one of the few eVent Packas ever made with DWR windpants
Integral Designs eVent parka with eVent pants
I bring one of the last three options nowadays, depending on season, hike duration, anticipated weather and the like.

DriDucks are amazingly light (10 oz), but lack durability and aren't all that comfortable. I bring these for weekend hikes where I don't expect much if any inclement weather.

I tend to lean toward my eVent Packa with Montbell DWR windpants and gaiters (14 oz total) during warmer months when I anticipate that I'll be in the woods most of the time rather than on exposed balds. Very flexible setup that's easy to adjust to the conditions. The pit zips combined with the eVent are great at moderating heat build-up. I can walk in the windpants all day, and tend to blouse them over the gaiters so rain doesn't run down into my boots. That's less of a concern now that I've given up on Gore-tex boots, so the gaiters and windpants probably won't make the next packing list, saving another quarter-pound.

My ID eVent parka with eVent rain pants from some British manufacturer (21 oz total) seem best suited for shoulder seasons where I may need to add a bit of warmth in different situations. The eVent seems to do a very good job of venting during moderate exertion in cooler temps; certainly much better than the Gore-tex parkas I've used. This setup is best suited for double-duty as a wind barrier also. This is a very expensive setup, however, and it looks as if ID has discontinued their parka.

Spider
08-04-2011, 13:29
All depends on when you're going. I recently went on my first month-long trip from NY to VA. As for rain gear, I packed a pack cover and a wind-breaker/water resistant jacket. I went through several storms and ended up wearing my jacket maybe once or twice the whole time, and that was when I was at camp (usually just for mosquitos). I found that it felt nice to hike in the rain and I'd rather be wet from the rain than wet from my own sweat under a jacket. Of course it's all just personal preference. Have fun!

Spider
08-04-2011, 13:31
All depends on when you're going.

Sorry didn't clarify this. Meaning I was hiking in pretty warm temperatures in the middle of the summer. In cooler temperatures you'd want to worry about getting chilled from the rain and it'd definitely be a good idea to invest in some rain gear.

Yukon
08-04-2011, 13:42
Packa!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trippclark
08-04-2011, 14:02
It's pretty easy to rig to a pack strap when necessary, but the real advantage is if you need to stop and do anything... like a bathroom break in the middle of the woods. Much easier to do this under cover than while wearing a poncho, I think.

I agree with you there! I think that an even bigger plus, for me, is that I do not get overheated with an umbrella as I do with any other rain gear. It is SOOOO much more comfortable to hike with than any other rain gear that I have tried.

I should add, however, that my full rain gear system also includes gaitors, a rain wrap, and a dri ducks jacket. I only use the jacket in-camp, but sometimes use the gaiters and rain wrap in conjunction with the umbrella -- especially when the rain is set-in.

Skidsteer
08-04-2011, 17:01
Packa!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the Packa.

Waaay better than a poncho.

1azarus
08-04-2011, 20:11
OUTDOOR RESEARCH (OR) Pack Hoodie. Covers the pack and you can pull out an attached fitted piece that covers your shoulders and has a hood. Learned this year not to wear rain jacket or rain paints while hiking, but to use them at camp to keep warm. Wow. that pack hoodie seems like a great idea. It unfortunately looks like it only comes in winnibago size. i wish it was made by some cottage industry in a smaller size, in silnylon.

Cedar Tree
08-04-2011, 20:41
one of the few eVent Packas ever made with DWR windpants
QUOTE]

I was able to get a limited number of eVent Packas in my last order from my manufacturer. I have some in stock now.

[QUOTE=1azarus;1187478]Wow. that pack hoodie seems like a great idea. It unfortunately looks like it only comes in winnibago size. i wish it was made by some cottage industry in a smaller size, in silnylon.

You can wear the Packa like this, and yet have the ability to cover up more if needed.
Thanks for the support Dillard, Red Hat, Yukon, Kerosene and Skids.
Cedar Tree