PDA

View Full Version : The record has been broken.....

longroad853
08-03-2011, 06:29
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/08/02/outdoors/woman-sets-record-on-appalachian-trial-for-fastest-hike/

Gramps
08-03-2011, 07:01
Reading the story (I first read it in the Charlotte Observer) brings a couple of questions to mind. First, if the ATC does not keep speed records, then how does she break any records? Second, she said since she was "only" travelling 3 mph, she could see "everything". Really? Sorry, don't mean to sound critical. I've always been an advocate of "hike your own hike" and to each his/her own. But I still question whether or not one can really enjoy the whole experience without stopping to smell the roses.

doritotex
08-03-2011, 07:22
This was her third thru hike. In 2005, the "regular" way with a heavy packpack, and again in 2008 with support, this was not a hike to "stop and smell the roses", she hiking with a different purpose, to push herself in a different way. Maybe she had already as you say "really enjoyed the whole experience " and this time she wanted to experience in a different way!

Get over it guys! A woman holds the "record" or whatever! If a man was attempting this, would there be such negativity?!! Gramps, why are you being so critical?

Bama Jack & Sadie
08-03-2011, 07:25
I applaud her effort but let's call it what it is. Running.

Lyle
08-03-2011, 07:32
HYOH is nice in theory, and generally a good policy.

I do, however, hate to see hiking turning into a competitive sport. The non-competitive aspect has been one of the major attractions of long-distance hiking for me over the years. Unfortunately, this will encourage more people to look at distance hiking as something to be conquered instead of enjoyed and shared.

For me, it's sad and not something to be encouraged.

sixhusbands
08-03-2011, 07:37
Call it what you will, but it is still an amazing test of human will. The fact that she had zero rest days in between those 47 mile average days is impressive to start. She also did it on very little sleep and from what I read , not the most nutrisious food intake. Anyone (female or male) that could do what she did deserves the accolades. I say a job well done!

Sly
08-03-2011, 08:37
Reading the story (I first read it in the Charlotte Observer) brings a couple of questions to mind. First, if the ATC does not keep speed records, then how does she break any records? Second, she said since she was "only" travelling 3 mph, she could see "everything". Really? Sorry, don't mean to sound critical. I've always been an advocate of "hike your own hike" and to each his/her own. But I still question whether or not one can really enjoy the whole experience without stopping to smell the roses.

Ummm just because the ATC doesn't "keep" any speed records it doesn't mean they're not aware, as others are of the times and when they were set.

You don't have to be stopped or moving at a snails pace to smell the roses. As I said in another post. Many, if not most, thru-hikers can easily hike at 2mph and still smell the roses so to speak. She only traveled 1 mph faster, but she hiked 15 hours a day. That's a lot of roses. If you've never tried it, get up and started before dawn, and hike past dusk and you'll notice a lot more wildlife than you would during the day.

weary
08-03-2011, 08:48

I do, however, hate to see hiking turning into a competitive sport. The non-competitive aspect has been one of the major attractions of long-distance hiking for me over the years. Unfortunately, this will encourage more people to look at distance hiking as something to be conquered instead of enjoyed and shared.

Well, it is not sad. But I agree that competitive hiking violates the reason why most of us walk the woods and hills. That said, it was an amazing physical achievement. It will be sad only if the primary use of the trail evolves into a race between fast and the faster. She did see more wildlife than I did. There's nothing like walking through dawn and dusk to see wild creatures.

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 08:48
If you've never tried it, get up and started before dawn, and hike past dusk and you'll notice a lot more wildlife than you would during the day.

That's the only time I ever saw any wildlife it seemed...late in the day when I was trying to make a shelter or something.

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 08:52
Get over it guys! A woman holds the "record" or whatever! If a man was attempting this, would there be such negativity?!!

Yes there would. It's no matter that she was a man or woman. There are some people that will always be nay-sayers. HYOH. If people spent more time worrying about themselves and not what other people are doing, the world would be a better place.

Shoot, I have a hard enough time worrying about myself, much less what other people are doing! :D

OldFeet
08-03-2011, 08:55
I really don't view Jennifer as competing with those of us who hike to enjoy the wilderness. She's simply competing with herself and a few others would had the goal of completing the trail as quickly as possible. To each his or her own. I doubt her record will cause the trail to become jammed with individuals racing each other to Spring or Kathadin each year.

Sly
08-03-2011, 08:56
I applaud her effort but let's call it what it is. Running.

Dude, if you followed at all, you'd know she hardly ran. She walked a consistent 3 mph for 15 hours a day. .

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 08:59
I read once that the secret to making big miles is NOT hiking fast (well, 3mph is fast for me, but that's besides the point!), but just waking up very early, walking ALL day, and stopping very late.

Sly
08-03-2011, 09:01

Please, she was out there doing her own thing. In the past 10 years there's been how many attempts to set a record? 3?

You'l actually see more "competition" among thru-hikers. Check out the journals, they're loaded with, "I did 30 miles today, lala-la-lala."

Pedaling Fool
08-03-2011, 09:18
I read once that the secret to making big miles is NOT hiking fast (well, 3mph is fast for me, but that's besides the point!), but just waking up very early, walking ALL day, and stopping very late.
Not nearly as easy as it sounds. This reminds me of someone that I use to work with who saw me ride my bike to work everyday. He wanted to start riding and ask me the typical questions...one of which is, "what's the furthest you've ridden in one day" after telling him, he thought and said, hmmm I could do that, all I need to do is ride 10mph for 10 hours.

He soon gave up the idea of riding a bike to work, much less doing a long haul... Math has a way of making things seem easy:D

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 09:23
Not nearly as easy as it sounds. This reminds me of someone that I use to work with who saw me ride my bike to work everyday. He wanted to start riding and ask me the typical questions...one of which is, "what's the furthest you've ridden in one day" after telling him, he thought and said, hmmm I could do that, all I need to do is ride 10mph for 10 hours.

He soon gave up the idea of riding a bike to work, much less doing a long haul... Math has a way of making things seem easy:D

I didn't mean for it to sound easy...the longest day I ever did was 27 miles and had to take the next day off to recover!

You are more right about the math thing than you know! In the real world, I crunch numbers...I guess that's just habit for me! :)

Sly
08-03-2011, 09:28

You're right, it's not as easy as it sounds. But for a conditioned athlete that's normally a long distance runner, it would be a lot easier. The new mantra for such record setting could be "slow but steady"

fiddlehead
08-03-2011, 09:48
funny about folks who think these people don't see much.
They are up before dawn, catching every available bit of light ON THE TRAIL.
Not in their sleeping bag when the light is best.

I remember hiking the JMT one year on a fast hike with a friend who really knew about speed hiking.
One night, we saw the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen, and a little while later, came upon a group campsite (maybe 6 or 7 tents) with light coming from within and sillouettes of people reading, riding, or organizing gear.
Not one of them were outside and missed that fabulous lightshow that night.
It is one of those things I'll never forget and I felt sorry for those people.
Probably no a whole lot different than how you are assuming that Jennifer saw on a little of the wonders of the trail.

What she didn't see this time around: The hostels, bars, hotels, laundries, the Steinbeck book you all find so important, etc.
No, she didn't see any of that this time, she was busy hiking.

Mags
08-03-2011, 10:03
But I still question whether or not one can really enjoy the whole experience without stopping to smell the roses.

Get out of camp at 9am, take a long lunch, stop at 5pm, take plenty of zeroes in towns? :)

Trailbender
08-03-2011, 10:11

Unless you are talking about Calculus, 3 pages to do one problem.

jesse
08-03-2011, 12:40
...But I still question whether or not one can really enjoy the whole experience without stopping to smell the roses.

Some people enjoy speed hiking.

Lyle
08-03-2011, 12:45
Please, she was out there doing her own thing. In the past 10 years there's been how many attempts to set a record? 3?

You'l actually see more "competition" among thru-hikers. Check out the journals, they're loaded with, "I did 30 miles today, lala-la-lala."

True, and I don't like that either. But every time someone does this, and seeks the publicity and accolades of the masses, then receive them, they encourage more folks to do the same or "beat" them publicly.

Did you read some of the comments from the articles that were linked? People were comparing, and in reality denigrating all the other hikers who merely hiked hiked the trail in 4 months. Speed hike was the truly laudable accomplishment.

In my opinion, this never ending competitiveness, but more important and damaging, the absolute pedestal that others place these competitors on has warpped other sports negatively. I just hate to see it creeping into hiking.

Trailbender
08-03-2011, 12:54
True, and I don't like that either. But every time someone does this, and seeks the publicity and accolades of the masses, then receive them, they encourage more folks to do the same or "beat" them publicly.

Did you read some of the comments from the articles that were linked? People were comparing, and in reality denigrating all the other hikers who merely hiked hiked the trail in 4 months. Speed hike was the truly laudable accomplishment.

In my opinion, this never ending competitiveness, but more important and damaging, the absolute pedestal that others place these competitors on has warpped other sports negatively. I just hate to see it creeping into hiking.

Another sport that competitiveness has crept into is videogaming. Even I find myself competing for top kills sometimes, instead of just relaxing and enjoying it. I noticed I enjoyed the hike less on my thru last year when I tried to just "do miles" or rush the last 3 miles into a town or something.

ChinMusic
08-03-2011, 13:19
Why is this an either-or thing for some of you?

One can enjoy a jog around the park and still enjoy watching Usain Bolt, ya know?

SassyWindsor
08-03-2011, 13:31
She has hiked the AT 3 times, how does that stack up to the number of times for WB members? I wonder if a bronze statue would be erected if it had been a male, and a member, in good standing, from WB?

Sly
08-03-2011, 14:52
She has hiked the AT 3 times, how does that stack up to the number of times for WB members? I wonder if a bronze statue would be erected if it had been a male, and a member, in good standing, from WB?

Yup, and she thru-hiked the PCT and holds overall unsupported (hairnt, men included) speed/endurance record on the Long Trail (with a backpack).

SawnieRobertson
08-03-2011, 16:38
How about reading her book BECOMING ODYSSA. In it you will find out all about her first thru--her daily diet, the things she saw, what was beyond her abilities, how she made friends, and was taken in by a family. It is a well written account.--Kinnickinic

1azarus
08-03-2011, 18:28
How about reading her book BECOMING ODYSSA. In it you will find out all about her first thru--her daily diet, the things she saw, what was beyond her abilities, how she made friends, and was taken in by a family. It is a well written account.--Kinnickinic

i'll finish reading becoming odyssa tonight... now i want to read her NEXT book!

Jim Adams
08-03-2011, 19:56
If you truely believe in HYOH then her speed should not matter to any of the nay sayers.

Up until age 55 I usually was able to hike at 3mph easily for 2hr stretches...it is not running and I got to see the sites just fine.

This is an incredible feat...kudos to Jen!

geek

Del Q
08-03-2011, 20:20
I guess that the saying "Hike Your Own Hike" applies here. Will be curious if anyone breaks this record anytime soon, this was no 4 minute mile. People who do not know how rugged the AT is cannot comprehend the difficulty.

Thru hikers have all of my respect! .......................... however they choose to do it.

Gramps
08-03-2011, 20:33
I should have figured that making any comment at all would cause people to get defensive. I have absolutely no problem of it being a man or woman- the gender is irrelevant. So drop that argument. All I was saying is IMHO you can see a lot more going at a somewhat slower pace. Doing this pace does not allow you to take an occasional blueblaze to what may be an awesome view not available from the trail. And I won't even get into end-to-end slackpacking. But whatever...

Blissful
08-03-2011, 20:35

Absolutely, all the time. No one hardly smells anything out there but their own b.o. :)
It's all about boasting how far or how many miles one goes in thru hiking circles.
I think its great for all the ones puffing their chests on the AT every thru hiking year, one can now boast - gee I know a woman who did 60 miles in one day...

That's why sectioning is so much better. No such need to get caught up in the competition mentality. It's so much more refreshing and enjoyable.

Skidsteer
08-03-2011, 21:10
I should have figured that making any comment at all would cause people to get defensive. I have absolutely no problem of it being a man or woman- the gender is irrelevant. So drop that argument. All I was saying is IMHO you can see a lot more going at a somewhat slower pace. Doing this pace does not allow you to take an occasional blueblaze to what may be an awesome view not available from the trail. And I won't even get into end-to-end slackpacking. But whatever...

Read her blog/journal. She saw more wildlife in 46 days than many hikers see in a lifetime.

The key is not how fast you hike but when you hike.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2011, 21:23
I should have figured that making any comment at all would cause people to get defensive. I have absolutely no problem of it being a man or woman- the gender is irrelevant. So drop that argument. All I was saying is IMHO you can see a lot more going at a somewhat slower pace. Doing this pace does not allow you to take an occasional blueblaze to what may be an awesome view not available from the trail. And I won't even get into end-to-end slackpacking. But whatever...your HO means diddly. my HO says you look at your feet when you backpack. you miss the owl just above you while thinkin' about the next shelter you're comin' to after your 14 mile day :rolleyes:

Ladytrekker
08-03-2011, 21:37
She accompolished what she wanted self fulfilment and lots of attention, some people need that.