PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Season

generoll
08-03-2011, 09:17
This is a place for folks to post their favorite recipes for squirrel. The only way I've ever eaten squirrel was in a stew and since the squirrel had been killed with a shotgun you had to chew carefully. My dog loves to find and chase squirrels, but he won't eat them. He just grabs them after they fall and shakes them to make sure they're dead and then the little fink carries them around to show my wife which pi$$e$ her off.

Rather then having the yard littered with dead squirrels I thought maybe I should ask for recipes. Maybe I could freeze the stew or whatever and then reheat them next Spring and offer a hot meal to the hikers as they come across Unicoi Gap.

The squirrels are all nice and fat now, but a bit hard to see with the trees still in full leaf. It'll be easier to see them after the trees lose their leaves, but they might be a bit thinner then. I suppose I could just dress them and freeze them until Spring, but I'm thinking it would be better to cook them in advance and freeze the meal in tupperware and then thaw them when it's time to feed the multitudes. I go for head shots, so the meat is fine, not too sure about the brains though.

Any suggestions?

Pedaling Fool
08-03-2011, 09:23
The only squirrel I ate was on a stick over a fire; I killed it with my BB gun. It actually wasn't too bad, but that was many, many years ago.

ALLEGHENY
08-03-2011, 10:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-c

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/recipes/

Stray dog
08-03-2011, 11:20
My father and I hunt squirrels every fall and we usually wait til we get 5-6 before cooking them. I brown the meat and throw it in a beef stew.

gpburdelljr
08-03-2011, 12:06
My grandmother used to put them in a stew. She also fried them, after parboiling first to tenderize. Here are a couple of links to recipes:
http://www.grandpappy.info/rsquirel.htm

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

bigmac_in
08-03-2011, 12:19
I hear Lone Wolf likes squirrels, maybe he could share his recipe.

vamelungeon
08-03-2011, 12:32
Parboil and chicken fry is how I usually do it.

generoll
08-03-2011, 12:38
all good suggestions. I was kinda thinkin about squirrel and dumplings. That way I could tell folks it was chicken.

Two Speed
08-03-2011, 13:03
And if they don't believe you raid your sleeping bag for feathers to scatter around, maybe?

Cruiser
08-03-2011, 16:49
Parboil and chicken fry is how I usually do it.

+1 Then makesquirrele gravy with the drippings Mmmm........Now I'm hungry!!! I have a good BBQ recipe too. I'll post it later if I remember.

vamelungeon
08-03-2011, 21:54
all good suggestions. I was kinda thinkin about squirrel and dumplings. That way I could tell folks it was chicken.
My mother used to fix them with dumplings. They are great that way!

Ladytrekker
08-03-2011, 22:00
I group up on squirrel and dumplings/ 13488

Two Speed
08-04-2011, 20:35
Anyone tried getting a few on the trail, and if so what did you use?

Ron Haven
08-04-2011, 21:19
Anyone tried getting a few on the trail, and if so what did you use?22 pistols

Skidsteer
08-04-2011, 21:25
22 pistols

I'm gonna need a bigger backpack.

nufsaid
08-04-2011, 21:28
22 pistols

One pistol should be plenty.

Two Speed
08-04-2011, 21:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-cLooked at that video, looks like that would work and wouldn't need a bigger pack. Snaring legal on the AT?

funnelman
08-28-2011, 09:35
yep, parboil then frylike chicken....bettern chicken

Pedaling Fool
08-28-2011, 15:31
I was out this morning watering my garden and there were about 5 squirrels going apesh1t in the trees above me. I'm use to seeing a couple or three squirrels chase each other, but this was going on for a very long time and they were running so fast that it was raining leaves. After watching it for a while I lost interest and as I was working in the garden I heard a thump on my driveway (10 ft behind me) I turned around and there was this squirrel looking around with a dazed look, then he hopped off, when he got close to the tree he started walking as if a little sore.

I guess he was knocked down out of the trees; I looked up and estimated he must of fallen from atleast 20 feet up. Now if this happened about 10 minutes prior, when I was in the driveway watching them, I could be eating garlic-roasted squirrel now:)

Lugnut
08-28-2011, 15:50
I hear Lone Wolf likes squirrels, maybe he could share his recipe.

Yeah, but he hunts with a roll of duct tape.

TheTwanger
08-28-2011, 18:52
Slingshot?:-?

ocourse
08-30-2011, 19:17
Neither a pistol or a slingshot is practical for squirrel hunting. As far as a recipe, I used to parboil the meat for a short time, and pull it into small pieces as soon as it was cool enough. Then I mixed the meat into a stuffing mix like you would with leftover turkey pieces.

JERMM
08-30-2011, 19:34
22 pistols

it took that many...:D

Uncle Cranky
08-31-2011, 11:06
WHAT TO DO WITH A DECEASED RODENT

Hey, from the Blue Heaven Chapel Hill, NC...the Southern side of Heaven

Not to sound rude but...I'm a transplanted Yankee and I'm quite surprised a GA southern boy needs to ask!
Brunswick stew is a an old time Southern comfort food and there is a heated dispute over it's true origin (Brunswick Counties in VA, NC and GA all claim origin) or date of introduction (early 1820s or there about).
I have tasted many varieties but the standard fare seems to be variations of a tomato based Succotash (Lima beans and corn).
Modern versions usually use chicken or pork but traditionally squirrel was used.
Sometimes even rabbit & woodchuck found their way into the pot.

Here are a few modern recipes I found on the internet...Bon appitite.

Brunswick Stew Recipe # 1

2 pounds pork or chicken, cooked, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup drippings, pork or bacon
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 1/2 cups catsup
2 cups diced potatoes, cooked
3 cans (16oz) cream-style corn
Place all ingredients in pan, cover and heat slowly. Salt and more hot sauce may be needed according to taste preferred.
Makes about 2 quarts.
Brunswick Stew Recipe # 2

1 (3 pound) broiler chicken
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup red potatoes, peeled, chopped
1 can (15oz) tomato sauce
1 3/4 cups lima beans, frozen or fresh
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 3/4 cups whole kernel corn, frozen
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Place chicken and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt in a large Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until done. Drain, reserving broth. Remove and discard skin from chicken. Bone chicken; chop meat. Set aside.
Skim fat from reserved broth. Return broth to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until broth is reduced to 2 cups. Add potato, and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce, lima beans, and onion, and simmer an additional 20 minutes. Stir in reserved chicken, corn, and remaining ingredients, and simmer an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Makes 8 1/2 cups.
Brunswick Stew Recipe # 3
Origin Unknown

1 pound chicken
3 quarts water
1 large onion
1/2 pound lean ham, lean, diced
2 pints tomatoes
1 pint lima beans
4 large Irish potatoes, diced
1 pint corn, frozen or fresh
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 red pepper
3 ounces butter
Cut up a pound of Chicken and put it in a large pan with three quarts of water, one large onion, one half pound of lean ham, and simmer gently for two hours. Add two pints of tomatoes, one pint of lima beans, four large Irish potatoes diced, one pint of corn, one tablespoon of salt, one fourth teaspoon pepper, a small pod of red pepper. Cover and simmer gently for one more hour stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Add three onces of butter and serve hot.
Crockpot Brunswick Stew Recipe # 4

1 can tomatoes, undrained, cut up (16 oz.)
1 can tomato paste, (6 oz.)
3 cups chicken, cooked & cubed
1 package frozen succotash OR 1 package frozen okra, sliced (10oz)
1 cup onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 dash ground cloves
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
In Crockpot, stir together tomatoes and tomato paste. Add chicken, frozen succotash or sliced okra, onion, bay leaf, salt, rosemary, pepper and cloves. Stir in chicken broth. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Before serving, remove bay leaf and stir well.
Makes 6 servings.

generoll
08-31-2011, 11:21
my brief experience with squirrel stew was to boil the squirrel until the meat separated easily from the bones. the meat was then placed in the pot with the vegetables and the dumplings added for the last 20 minutes or so, not sure now just how long it took to cook the dumplings. In any case, with all the squirrels along the AT it shouldn't be hatd to fill your bag limit during squirrel season, which I believe starts in a couple of weeks. I shoot most of my squirrels with a pellet rifle for my dogs entertainment, but with a daily limit of 6 squirrels it ought to keep him entertained. This would be good for something like a hobo stew if someone actually carried a #10 can as part of their mess gear. I once met a man who was living on the AT and had a bottomless stew pot containing a mixture of ramps, potatos, carrots, and box turtles. He wore it on a string around his neck and just helped himself whenever he got hungry. Squirrels would be a bit harder to catch, but I suspect that you could take all you wanted with a pellet pistol if you were in no hurry. You could always have the added advantage of driving off pesky and noisy neighbors without the risk of permanent harm.

southpaw95
08-31-2011, 11:42
"If it ain't fried it ain't food"

Pan fry them vittles.

vamelungeon
08-31-2011, 12:36
Neither a pistol or a slingshot is practical for squirrel hunting. As far as a recipe, I used to parboil the meat for a short time, and pull it into small pieces as soon as it was cool enough. Then I mixed the meat into a stuffing mix like you would with leftover turkey pieces.
I frequently hunt squirrels with a Ruger .22 pistol. I know other people who hunt them with .22 handguns as well. It's a challenge but it is do-able.

DaveSail
08-31-2011, 12:45
My room - mate at Penn State back in the 50s , would go out ( somewhere ) and shoot a squirrel . We had old , WWII barracks as dorms . Steam heat , with
old - fashioned radiators in each room . He would put the gutted / skinned squirrel - parts in a pot of water and set it on the radiator . I don't know how long
they " Boiled " or " Simmered " . But , after awhile he would fry the sections in butter in an electric fry - pan ! He could never get me to taste any ! David

lemon b
09-02-2011, 21:07
Ya all are funny. My Daddy taught me not to harvest the mountain ones cause they have no meat and ya gotta leave the heads on in the stew. Not being a meat eater for the most part I've never had an issue putting the head in the pot when my body needed protien. The trick is in the long cook and salt & pepper. Never seen one taken with a pellet but took a few with a blade. Rats traps work too. When Chestnut was in the sharing mood she would bring some of that food back too.

generoll
09-03-2011, 08:44
I take them with pellet rifles in my yard just to shut my dog up. I'm guessing a pistol would also work as long as you weren't too far away.

lemon b
09-03-2011, 09:11
What is up with that, stun em and the dog brings em in or getting lucky with an eye shot?

Two Speed
09-03-2011, 09:29
Depends on the air rifle. Daisy Red Ryder just annoys them. Crosman 760 generally gets the job done. Gamo Whisper knock's em down good.

Have tried a Crosman CO2 pistol in the past. Not good.

lemon b
09-03-2011, 10:40
Nope, I 'm only 56 and reload.

generoll
09-03-2011, 11:41
put one behind the ear and they drop like a stone. dog gives em a good shake and game over.

Two Speed
09-04-2011, 20:48
I'm pretty sure if you get a solid connection behind the ear the game's over before the dog shows up.

Just sayin'.