PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a full pack and (stove fuel, bear spray, knife etc) - leave it home?

dcmidnight
08-03-2011, 11:14
Surprised that I couldnt dig anything else up on this...

So I'm flying to Glacier NP for a week in the Spring and realized I'm not sure how to get some of my stuff there. There are things I know I cant fly with (a knife, stove fuel etc) and I wondered how people do this. Do you just leave those things at home and hit up an outfitter when you get there? I guess I dont mind doing that if there is a place nearby since I dont think stove fuel can fly in carge and a knife cant fly in the cabin.

I'm sure people run into this all the time flying to Georiga...

Thanks.

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 11:20
What I've done on the A.T. in the past is mail items that cannot be carried on (knife, etc) to a hostel around the area I am starting, and just used my backpack as a carry-on. Granted, depending on the airline, their carry-on size limit may differ, so double check before doing that. You may want to check with the Park to see if they accept hiker mail drops.

As for the fuel, I don't really see any alternative other than hitting up an outfitter once you arrive.

Hope this helps.

Brewerbob
08-03-2011, 11:49
Knives, guns, bear spray ... can all be checked. If you trust the airline not to lose or steal said items. Not sure about the fuel. The airlines had to retrofit cargo spaces with fire suppression systems after ValuJet Flight 592 crash in 1996. So, that can probably be checked if you declare it. Tho it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy once at Glacier.

Feral Bill
08-03-2011, 12:33
Airlines will not allow any liquid or cannister fuels in baggage, or, for the most part, stoves that have ever contained fuel. A canister stove they might be okay with. Contact the park by phone to find out if there is a place you can send your stove ahead. Fuel should be available in camp stores.

BobTheBuilder
08-03-2011, 12:58
Sorry, the answer is no on the fuel in the checked bag. Aggravating, as last time I flew into Roanoke I drove all over the place trying to find fuel for my JetBoil. (found a store that sold the JetBoil itself, but no fuel.)

The stove might or might not make it through checked baggage. Mine has made it the last two times. The checked baggage machine that they run your stuff through sniffs for the presence of aromatic hydrocarbons, like fuel residue on your stove. I have set mine out, unassembled with the valves wide open, on the counter for a week or so before I fly to let the residue evaporate. It either works or I am lucky.

By the way, anybody know where I can pick up a can of JetBoil fuel next month between the Roanoke airport and Daleville?

flemdawg1
08-03-2011, 13:57
By the way, anybody know where I can pick up a can of JetBoil fuel next month between the Roanoke airport and Daleville?
most Walmarts now carry canister fuel, Coleman brand.

RevLee
08-03-2011, 13:59
Outdoor Trails (http://www.outdoortrails.com/daleville.html) in Daleville is a great outfitter. They are about a quarter mile west of the AT at the US-220 crossing.

Depending upon what route you take to Daleville, there are a variety of other outfitters along the way. Richmond has REI and Blue Ridge Mountain Sports just off of I-64. Rockfish Gap Outfitters are near the I-64 Waynesboro exit. If you are taking US-460, there is another Blue Ridge Mountain Sports on the south side of Richmond, or another Outdoor Trails in Lynchburg.

hobby
08-03-2011, 14:47
Contact Flathead Transportation in Kalispel.
Our driver took us from the airport to Apgar, stopping in Whitfish to get fuel/bear spray/etc
Made arrangements with them for return trip--
very easy!

Blissful
08-03-2011, 15:47
I checked my pocket rocket in its red plastic container to Utah and back, no problems. Should be able to check bear spray. We checked bug repellent fine. But fuel, no way.

Blissful
08-03-2011, 15:48

Outfitter right at Daleville by the Kroger.

Spirit Walker
08-03-2011, 16:07
There's an outfitter in Whitefish and you can probably buy fuel at the store in East Glacier if you're heading there. Probably Polebridge too, but I'd call to confirm since that is a very small shop. Probably also in W. Glacier. Bear spray is probably available at the camp stores in the park as well. If you're heading to Canada to hike south through the park, there is an outfitter at Waterton.

One of the reasons we switched to an alcohol stove was the problem of taking a used white gas stove on the airplane. We figured HEET would be easy to find, and it generally is, except in Arizona.

hobby
08-03-2011, 16:23
When we are planning a hike 'out west', getting there (out of ATL) is always easier than coming back!
Small airports (Jackson, Idaho Falls, Kalispell, etc) are more on the look-out for hiker related, non-allowed items.
Most folks in ATL have no idea what a backpacking stove and fuel cannisters are!
I have had liquid containers (empty, dry, never contained fuel) that I carry liqour in confiscated in kalispel!

Now we take a preprinted UPS shipping lable and tape with us. At the end of the hike, we box up our fuel cannisters, bear spray(I'm pretty sure you can't check that on plane), etc and ship them home (ups ground only). Leave the package for ups to pick up at the motel. In a week or so, they show up at home.

Will be headed to Billings, MT next month and will do the same

chiefiepoo
08-03-2011, 18:01
Three past summers in Glacier NP here. Fuel and cannisters readily available at the grocery in West Glacier. There is also a PO at WG, maybe you can flat rate box to general deliv. some of the airline declined items. I had always thought that the large cans of Counter Assault spray were not alloweed in checked baggage. I'm gonna have to check on that. Counter Assault, $45 mol, is for sale at numerous places so if you havn't bought yet, get it there and while you're at it look at the video training that is running in the store at Apgar Village or seek it out on line. Flathead transportation are good helpful people. The Glacier Highland Resort is right accross the street from the train station in WG. Good people there too. Glacier Guides is a pricey but first class operation with fantastic guides and a variety of treks. I used them the first trip but now do my own planning. Any other things I can help with send me a pvt message, but be quick. I'm headin there in the morning. (Thurs)

Ironbelly
08-03-2011, 19:28
You can bring anything except fuel. Some items can't be brought as a carry on such as knives etc, so I just check a small cardboard box with my stove, knife and toiletries to avoid to hassle with security. Mailing to your destination would also work and is probably cheaper unless you are flying on an airline that lets you check a bag or two for free such as Southwest. Delta for example would charge you 25$ to check said box. When going on a trip where I have to fly to an unfamiliar area I either bring my alchy stove because you can get denatured alcohol at any hardware store, or heet at a gas station, or I bring my msr xgk ex that can burn anything except alcohol. Typically you can travel a relatively short distance and find a hardware store or gas station, even in rural areas. An outfitter on the other hand can sometimes be a challenge depending on where exactly your going.

JaxHiker
08-03-2011, 20:22
Watch out for the baggage charges. My buddy is heading to Canada next week and Delta is trying to ding him for $175 each way in extra charges and they're making him check his uber death-wielding, plane destroying fishing rod.

Ironbelly
08-03-2011, 21:06
How many bags is your friend bringing lol. its 25 25 50 75 100 150 200 if i remember correctly for the corresponding extra bags.

BobTheBuilder
08-03-2011, 23:03
Thanks for the outfitter info between Roanoke and Daleville, everybody. Drops my stress level dramatically.

Brewerbob
08-04-2011, 09:13
Three past summers in Glacier NP here. From FL at that; must be nice. I need to get out more often.

Brewerbob
08-04-2011, 09:16
According to TSA, bear spray isn't checkable either.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

No mention of fishing poles.

JaxHiker
08-05-2011, 09:27
How many bags is your friend bringing lol. its 25 25 50 75 100 150 200 if i remember correctly for the corresponding extra bags.
I forget what he said. Unfortunately he's off to Canada now and I'm stuck in my cube. :(

WalksInDark
08-07-2011, 09:33
Before I moved back to the Washington D.C. area last year, the Daleville, VA outfitter: Outdoor Trails was my backpacking "Go To" place. The store has a wide variety of items, the prices are very competitive, and the staff knowledgeable. If you hit the store tell them that "WalksInDark" sends his regards.

SassyWindsor
08-07-2011, 13:56
I use a Sierra Titanium Zip Stove. As a frequent flier, especially with gear in tow, I keep up with the changing winds of whats allowed and what is not when flying. I have learned that trying to buy equipment after arrival is a very big and expensive pain in the rear.