PDA

View Full Version : Please help, Need Shuttle Gorham NH -> Portland ME

jsstewar
08-03-2011, 12:48
Hi! So I'm Coyote. Puddle Duck and I just climbed Katahdin where I proposed and she said yes! It's a very exciting time. But we had to jump a 200-mile section so she could get back in time for a teaching job. As such, I'm now going South to cover that part from Monson to Gorham and can't yet figure out a way to get to Portland ME without taking a $70 bus all the way to Boston first! Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you so much!

Hooch
08-03-2011, 12:57
Hitch. Problem solved.

4Bears
08-03-2011, 13:22
You try this person from the ATC web site, ther are others you can check out.
Here is the link. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%207-29-11.pdf
Arthur Jolin
Gorham, NH
(603) 466-2127
Shuttle van to any point north and south
on A.T., train and bus stations and all
airports, including Boston and Portland.
Any regional airports in NE US – no limits,
provided there is monetary compensation.

jsstewar
08-03-2011, 15:24
Hitch. Problem solved.

Only serious replies please. I'm trying to catch a prepaid flight and that's why I asked about a shuttle since the unpredictability of a hitch doesn't provide the security that one needs when getting to a plane. Thank you!

Hooch
08-03-2011, 15:32
It was a serious reply, I'm sorry you didn't see it as such.

jsstewar
08-03-2011, 15:34
It was a serious reply, I'm sorry you didn't see it as such.

It's okay, Thanks though!

peakbagger
08-03-2011, 15:51
A paid shuttle will be expensive. I believe Arthur Jolin is no longer doing shuttles. He reportedly expected $1 a mile (both ways)as a "donation". There are no public transport options. Most folks spend the money and fly out of Manchester or Boston due to the economics and lack of public transport from Gorham to Portland. Worst case is catch the bus to Manchester and take a shuttle to Portland. There was a new shuttle firm in the Berlin/Gorham NH area that posted on the forums recently (but I cant find them quickly). There is also an individual named "Bruce" that camps at the White Birches Campground (has an AT hostel) right down the road from where the AT crosses RT 2, he reportedly does shuttles. Using back roads its about 91 miles from Gorham to the airport.

Blissful
08-03-2011, 16:16
Maybe try PMing Mountain Wildman, he lives in Gorham.

TEXMAN
08-05-2011, 23:18
When you get to Gorham you are 85 miles from Portland and there are not any major roads that go straight through ......

your best bet is still taking the Concord Coach to Logan Airport in Boston for $40 and then catch the Concord Coach bus from Boston to Logan for another $27 ,,,
I doubt you can find a shuttle for less than that unless there is a trail angel willing to drive you...

As they say in Maine sometimes "You can't get there from here"

O.M. River

TEXMAN
08-05-2011, 23:19
meant to say "catch bus from Boston to Portland for $27"

Sly
08-05-2011, 23:49
It's okay, Thanks though!

Seriously hitching is an option.

However, if you don't want to do that, there's a hiker doing shuttles for White Birches Campground and AT Loft near the trail in Gorham (actually Shelburne) that does shuttles cheap (like for the gas) Sorry, I forget his name but here's the number (603) 466-2022

neighbor dave
08-06-2011, 07:11
southwest has a great policy when it comes to changing your ticket.flyin' outta manchester nh to alot of destinations