PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel.....

pafarmboy
08-03-2011, 15:46
I always like to support local businesses when hiking through towns, but some don't seem to want your money....

Long story short, I'm a section hiker planning on Duncannon to Bear Mountain next summer. Called Bear Mountain Bridge Motel to inquire about staying a night, then leaving my car there while I was shuttled back to Duncannon and hiking back to Bear Mountain ('bout 2 weeks) and then staying another night before I headed home.

Wanted 10 BUCKS A DAY to park my car even though I committed to staying 2 nights at their place. Mentioned that I was trying to give them business cause they are a local establishment verses the Econo Lodge up the road that would let me park my car FOR FREE.

No thanks. He said I should stay at the Econo Lodge.

Seriously? I woulda even been okay for a few bucks a day, but 10? I'll gladly walked by them on my way to the Econo Lodge at the end of my hike.

Sometimes there is a reason big chains squeeze out the mom-&-pop places. Sad.

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 15:49
Some airports don't even charge $10 a day...

RevLee
08-03-2011, 17:03
If you wanting parking, then definitely stay at the Econo Lodge. The Bear Mountain Bridge Motel just doesn't have the parking spaces to spare.

I stayed at the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel last year, and they were very nice. Hiker friendly, clean rooms, right across the street from a BBQ place, and they took me to the post office in the morning. However, it is very small - only 4 -6 rooms. If you take a look at this picture (http://www.visiontownofhighlands.com/bear_mountain_bridge_motel.htm), it is shows their whole parking lot. One car parked long term would take up over 10% of their parking. Plus your car would more likely get dinged in such a tight lot, versus the Econo Lodge.

So instead of forgetting them, maybe you should thank them for being honest about where to park long term.

dillard
08-03-2011, 17:10
Thanks for adding some perspective to this RevLee.

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 17:44
Thanks for adding some perspective to this RevLee.

Well said.

I didn't recognize the name, but after looking at the picture I do recognize the place. Me and my hiking buddy stayed there in 2005 on our way thru. The owner was very nice, even gave us a thru hiker discount. I would definitely stay there again.

Sly
08-03-2011, 17:47
The Bear Mountain Bridge Motel just doesn't have the parking spaces to spare.

LOL... they do for $10 a day!

flyingturtle
08-03-2011, 17:49
LOL... they do for $10 a day!

I'd much rather save that money for a post-hike meal or three! :D

Sly
08-03-2011, 17:54
I'd much rather save that money for a post-hike meal or three! :D

That's for sure.

WingedMonkey
08-03-2011, 18:10
If you are a small motel owner on the phone with someone trying to make arrangements for a hike a year in the future, the fast way to get rid of them is a $10 parking charge.

:sun

Carl in FL
08-03-2011, 18:39
That is one story-book-cute motel in that photo, let me tell you.
Places like that should make the scenic register.

Jim Adams
08-03-2011, 19:45
If you wanting parking, then definitely stay at the Econo Lodge. The Bear Mountain Bridge Motel just doesn't have the parking spaces to spare.

I stayed at the Bear Mountain Bridge Motel last year, and they were very nice. Hiker friendly, clean rooms, right across the street from a BBQ place, and they took me to the post office in the morning. However, it is very small - only 4 -6 rooms. If you take a look at this picture (http://www.visiontownofhighlands.com/bear_mountain_bridge_motel.htm), it is shows their whole parking lot. One car parked long term would take up over 10% of their parking. Plus your car would more likely get dinged in such a tight lot, versus the Econo Lodge.

So instead of forgetting them, maybe you should thank them for being honest about where to park long term.
If they only have six rooms and had every room occupied and a car for every room AND a parked car takes up 10% then they have 3 spare spaces even with the hiker car there.
geek

Lone Wolf
08-03-2011, 20:41
I always like to support local businesses when hiking through towns, but some don't seem to want your money....

Long story short, I'm a section hiker planning on Duncannon to Bear Mountain next summer. Called Bear Mountain Bridge Motel to inquire about staying a night, then leaving my car there while I was shuttled back to Duncannon and hiking back to Bear Mountain ('bout 2 weeks) and then staying another night before I headed home.

Wanted 10 BUCKS A DAY to park my car even though I committed to staying 2 nights at their place. Mentioned that I was trying to give them business cause they are a local establishment verses the Econo Lodge up the road that would let me park my car FOR FREE.

No thanks. He said I should stay at the Econo Lodge.

Seriously? I woulda even been okay for a few bucks a day, but 10? I'll gladly walked by them on my way to the Econo Lodge at the end of my hike.

Sometimes there is a reason big chains squeeze out the mom-&-pop places. Sad.they get plenty of high dollay new york city folks. don't take it personal

Johnny Thunder
08-03-2011, 22:49
just park in front of the Bear Mountain Police Department. my father ended a section there during my through hike in 2008. we shuttled a car to the lot. went inside and inquired where a secure place to park might be. the desk Sargent told us to to park the car in the shade between two BMPD cruisers. nice guys.

STEVEM
08-04-2011, 08:20
Parking can get expensive in the Bear Mountain area. I was issued a $50.00 parking ticket for obstructing an unmarked fire road in the middle of winter with 2-feet of snow on the ground.

Happy Feet
09-02-2011, 19:51
Hatman and I stayed there on our first thru hike. We did NOT stay there on the second hike and would not stay there again. That's all I'm going to say.

Kerosene
09-02-2011, 23:14
I stayed there for several consecutive nights while my mom, brother and I day-hiked through most of the NY AT. It worked just fine for us, although it is a ways from the Bridge and it rooms probably get pretty warm during the height of summer. Per RevLee, they do have very limited parking space, and perhaps they should have explained that to you but the fee is understandable.

Bags4266
09-03-2011, 08:20
Well if the owner doesn't have room for storing a vehicle that should have been his polite
answer. However, he obviously does have room to store a car if he is willing to gouging $10.00 a day.

4eyedbuzzard
09-03-2011, 08:29
A couple of thoughts: 1) They likely book pretty solid through the summer season and don't need to worry about offering free parking for two weeks to get two nights of revenue which they will likely book anyway. It is quite a along time to have a car sitting in their small lot for no added revenue. 2) If they actually get people to pay their $10 fee sometimes, they are that much ahead.