PDA

View Full Version : Couples Hammock?

erichlf
02-10-2005, 17:34
Maybe this sounds stupid, but here I go. This hammock idea seems to be really cool. When I was in Panama a couple of weeks ago, I slept in a hammock for 6 straight days. This was a pretty crappy hammock, but after I figured out how to sleep in it, I loved it. What I was wondering was, do you think it is possible to sleep to small people in a hammock. I am 5'6" about 140 lbs, and my wife is 5'4" 100 lbs wet. I really would like to switch over, but I insist on sleeping with my wife. Yeah I know I am a softy, but that is the one thing I insist on while out on the trail. I can handle the cold, wet, and pretty much anything else you throw at me, but I must sleep with her. Now does anyone think this is a possibility? I am sure there would be some crampness, but I don't mind being smothered. lol

The Hammocker
02-10-2005, 19:09
try buying a two person hammock. I think they have one at Walmart.

flyfisher
02-10-2005, 19:23
I've tried it. Neither Diane or I can sleep together in a hammock. However, putting two hammocks next to each other is pretty romantic. It's almost like Quaker bundling.

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm

erichlf
02-10-2005, 19:41
Apparently HH has a SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX, but this thing is really heavy. I want something that is super light weight. I would prefer it under 2 lbs. I suppose I could do the side by side thing, but that still seems too far away. lol Now the HH Racer series, do you think they really should only be used for racing?

erichlf
02-12-2005, 01:09
Well I ended up getting 2 Ultralight Backpacker A-sym from HH. REI had last years for $67. I decided for the price I would go for the heavier hammock.

river rat
02-12-2005, 10:24
Try Eagles nest outfitters, thay have a double hammock that looks to bee pretty good. I think it will support 400 pounds.

Here is the link

http://www.eaglesnestoutfit.com/doublehammock.html#dh

I have never used it but it looks well built to me.

wacocelt
02-12-2005, 10:46
Thanks for the link River Rat, excellent first post. Welcome to WB!

Now I just have to talk my wife into using a hammock, she's grumpier than L.Wolf when it comes to hammocks etc. :rolleyes:

JEB
02-14-2005, 16:23
Dear Erichlf,
I, my son, and our dog have slept together in a Hennessey Ultralight Backpacker -- and the three of us probably weigh a little more than you and your wife. It takes some time to get us all settled -- and still more time to get to sleep -- but we have all slept.

SGT Rock
02-14-2005, 21:02
You better like to sleep close in a double hammock.

Tha Wookie
02-14-2005, 21:48
Yes, I've wondered the same thing. Has anyone tried that double hammock from the link above? I want a hammock for sure. But I got my trail honey to tend to.:-?

erichlf
03-01-2005, 15:16
Okay, I set up my hammock for the first time this weekend. Had to drive to Oregon so I could find some trees. lol Anyway, My wife and I decided to try and both use the same hammock. It was pretty nice and comfy. Even had my dog in there laying with us. Yes, that was at least 60 lbs over the limit. Anyway, the problem I found with doing this is that the hammock tends to put a fabric barrier in between my wife and I. I guess if the hammock was tention out correctly this wouldn't be a problem. What I mean by this is that one need to raise the sides of the hammock more. Any suggestion on how to do that properly. By the way, after a bit my dog was okay with the hammock idea. She had problems with the swaying and not so solid ground idea at first. Hammocks are the best and I doubt I will ever go back to sleeping on the ground. At 50F I had no real problems with being cold underneath. But, there was a bit of a draft. I however, was not in a sleeping bag.

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 15:20
you are going to probably have to go to the quilt and under quilt method for double hammocking. Imagine both of you in sleeping bags and trying to get settled.

titanium_hiker

Dances with Mice
03-01-2005, 15:27
http://www.trease.biz/

erichlf
03-01-2005, 15:35
you are going to probably have to go to the quilt and under quilt method for double hammocking. Imagine both of you in sleeping bags and trying to get settled. We were going to try just using our current sleeping bag as a quilt. I don't know if I felt cold enough underneath to justify a underquilt's extra weight. But, that definately depends on the weather conditions. The other option I thought of is mating only one portion of our sleeping bags and using them together as one quilt.

erichlf
03-01-2005, 15:38
Dances with Mice,
I am not even sure what the heck that thing is. My mind is officially blown.

Footslogger
03-01-2005, 15:39
I guess once you both got in and comfortable ...and were willing to "spoon", it might be OK (operating words there are "might" and "comfortable"). Problem comes when one of you have to answer nature's call at night. That hammock is gonna be rocking and rolling.

'Slogger
AT 2003

erichlf
03-01-2005, 15:43
Dances with Mice,
Those things are very interesting, but "weigh" to heavy.

erichlf
03-01-2005, 15:46
I guess once you both got in and comfortable ...and were willing to "spoon", it might be OK (operating words there are "might" and "comfortable"). Problem comes when one of you have to answer nature's call at night. That hammock is gonna be rocking and rolling.
I don't ever answer natures call at night, and if my wife does, it won't be a big deal. After being in the Navy I can sleep through anything if I want to. Spooning in the hammock was actually really nice, and I was really comfortable. I just didn't like the fabric barrier that arose in the center between us.

hikerjohnd
03-01-2005, 15:58
Wow - these seem heavy compared to the hammock weights people post...

erichlf
03-01-2005, 16:03
My hammock, which by the way I think is heavy, weighs in at 28 oz. This is the HH Ultralight backpacker.

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 16:12
mine ( home made) wieghs 2 pounds. I have no Idea how many ounces.
Yeah, I use my sleeping bag as a quilt. It's huge! Almost enough for two people.

titanium_hiker

Bjorkin
03-01-2005, 16:42
The Trease is a very interesting concept with the three straps! I imagine Tom Hennessy could adapt that concept into his current ul hammock and add only the weight of an additional cord and strap.

This is close to the Hennessy Explorer UL A-symmetrical setup now but those off-centered side lines are only guidewires and not actual support cords to carry weight. Imagine the increased floor space and strength if one of those side cords was the same size as the 2 main cords. This would give you the option of tying off to a third tree and really leveling out the hammock floor and giving a usable area for gear.

It would have something like a Y shape from above. Call it Banana Split. :banana

peter_pan
03-01-2005, 21:00
Check this out....it ain't light....it might make the two of you happy.

stickman
03-01-2005, 21:37
I tried it with a girlfriend, and found it impossible. If one person shifts even slightly, you all rock and roll. Having said that, I spent a year in the Amazon many years ago, and saw whole families living in one hammock. Give it a try.

Stickman

erichlf
03-01-2005, 22:49
It definately works. I just had that one problem. I really liked how it forced me to "cuddle".

The Hammocker
03-17-2005, 21:03
so did it turn out okay? (using a hammock not that tent thing)

descotis
02-20-2006, 21:48
I use to sleep during many south asia trip with my girl friend using the Ticketothemoon hammock ....no complain , super confortable because of the elastique and breathable nylon silk ..have a look on their web site
enjoy hammocking

Sirrahd
02-20-2006, 21:56
Yes, I've wondered the same thing. Has anyone tried that double hammock from the link above? I want a hammock for sure. But I got my trail honey to tend to.:-?

I own the ENO double and love it. I weigh in at 240 and my wife is 106 and we sleep great in it together. Although we've never used it with each other for more than 3 days at a time, I find it really comfortable and havn't had any complaints from her.

Hana_Hanger
02-21-2006, 19:51
Wow love the idea of The Floating Dome2

Hubby would have no excuses not to "hang" in a tent.
Seems to be the answer to both worlds. I get my hammock, he keeps the tent...I wonder if the issue of having cold spots at the bottom is going to be a problem.

Just dreaming need to win Publishers Clearing House first :)

Dances with Mice
02-21-2006, 20:21
The "trease" is an interesting concept. But on occasion I've had enough trouble finding a suitable place to hang my hammock. It's not as easy as picking out any two trees - they have to be far enough apart, sturdy enough, and clear enough in between to hang the hammock. A lot of times (in Georgia) undergrowth is in the way.

Finding three trees in the right configuration with clearance underneath would be a lot harder.

LuTotten
03-24-2006, 12:58
I own the ENO double and love it. I weigh in at 240 and my wife is 106 and we sleep great in it together. Although we've never used it with each other for more than 3 days at a time, I find it really comfortable and havn't had any complaints from her.

Sirrahd, when you sleep in it does it make you sleep cuddled up?

tanpuma
03-25-2006, 11:34
All this talk makes me wonder if I should build my next hammock big enough for 2. Just in case someone wants to share it. I hadn't considered it. :sun

It could be a test , like a similar one I have for smoking (non) and dog loving (yes).

Or I could supply a tent for guest purposes that my dog also uses when car camped.