PDA

View Full Version : September weather in Maine?

SouthMark
08-04-2011, 09:02
Doing Monson to Gotham, NH after Labor Day. What type of weather can I expect? Temps, rain, etc. Did Katahdin to Monson last August and weather was great. Rained one day, temps in 50s at night, 80s during the day.

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 09:11
SouthMark, I am starting in Monson on September 5th and heading south to finish up my 2005 thru. I'm not sure, but according to the weather website, the average high for Monson is 67 and low is 42. Should be beautiful! Hope to see you out there!

Monkeywrench
08-04-2011, 10:13
September weather in Maine is great, unless it's not. This is New England, nobody can predict what the weather is going to be more than a few days ahead of time. You might have day after day of warm dry air under sunny skies followed by brisk nights perfect for sleeping. Or you might be treated to gray, cold rain, day after day.

It's still better than going to work.

SouthMark
08-04-2011, 10:17
flyingturtle, I will be starting on the 8th. Hoe far south are you going?

Slo-go'en
08-04-2011, 10:34
The nights and early mornings can get quite chilly, so be prepaired for that. Frost at higher elevations later in the month is quite possible. All in all, the weather should be similer to what you had in August, but a little cooler and maybe a little higher chance of more rain.

Just hope the reminants of a hurrican doesn't drift this way. Texas needs the water, not us!

peakbagger
08-04-2011, 10:40
A general observation is the weather is generally great in the beginning of September but near the end usually a rainy pattern moves in (screws up the leaf peepers,who usually come the last week of Sept). No matter what, its cold in the AM but can warm up to seventies quickly most of the month.

SouthMark
08-04-2011, 10:41
Thanks Slo-go'en, Alabama needs the water too. I was in Maine two years ago in June and had enough rain to last me a lifetime.

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 11:21
flyingturtle, I will be starting on the 8th. Hoe far south are you going?

Williamstown, Mass...then more than likely jumping down to Hot Springs and walking to Springer.

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 11:25
A general observation is the weather is generally great in the beginning of September but near the end usually a rainy pattern moves in (screws up the leaf peepers,who usually come the last week of Sept). No matter what, its cold in the AM but can warm up to seventies quickly most of the month.

What can I expect when I hit the Whites towards the middle/end of the month in terms of hut closures, crowds, etc? In regards to the weather, I know to prepare for the worst (and hope for the best)!

Stray dog
08-04-2011, 11:52
I did a Presidential thru last year during the Labour Day weekend. We had sleet between Jefferson and Lake of the Clouds and temps just above freezing and lots of wind the whole day on the ridge. I can't remember which hurricane was hitting the coast at that time. The day preceeding the hike and the one following were really nice, sunny and no clouds in sight.

Slo-go'en
08-04-2011, 12:21
Thanks Slo-go'en, Alabama needs the water too. I was in Maine two years ago in June and had enough rain to last me a lifetime.

Yea, June can be monson season around here. How bad is the Alabama water situation? I'm thinking of hiking the Pinhotie (sp?) trail starting mid October. Maybe some tropical storms will improve things down there by then - we can hope.

SouthMark
08-04-2011, 12:44
Yea, June can be monson season around here. How bad is the Alabama water situation? I'm thinking of hiking the Pinhotie (sp?) trail starting mid October. Maybe some tropical storms will improve things down there by then - we can hope.

Right now the water situation is not great. The Pinhoti should be fine by October except the 18 mile section from Bull Gap to Porter Gap on the southern end.

Blissful
08-04-2011, 12:48
What can I expect when I hit the Whites towards the middle/end of the month in terms of hut closures, crowds, etc? In regards to the weather, I know to prepare for the worst (and hope for the best)!

You'll have to check the AMC site for closures etc. Assume weekends will still be crowded though with fall color viewing.

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 12:58
You'll have to check the AMC site for closures etc. Assume weekends will still be crowded though with fall color viewing.

Thanks, I assumed that it would be smooth sailing in terms of crowds after labor day, but I will keep that in mind!