PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands area loop hike

ScottP
08-04-2011, 11:58
I'm planning on leading a local outdoor club on a 4 day 3 night hiking trip up in the Grayson Highlands area the last weekend of September. We'll probably be doing around 10 miles a day.

I was thinking of starting at either Hurricane Campground or VA 603/fox creek and hiking up to Thomas Knob on the AT. I'd like to hike back to our starting location on non-AT trails--does anyone have any recommendations?

How's the water, weather, and ponies that time of year?

Thanks,

Hermes

Mr. Bumpy
08-04-2011, 14:12
I was just up there for five nights with my son. We parked at Beartree and went up the Iron Mt trail with the intention of making the whole loop. However, the hike was longer than I thought and the highlands were so perfect the we ended up base camping for a couple of nights and had to call for a pick-up from the Elk Garden area. Next time I will base out of Graystone and you might consider a loop out of there. I like the peace of mind of paying for parking in a more secure area like one of the campgrounds instead of just leaving it at a trailhead which is what you would be doing if you left vehicles at Fox Creek. On the highlands the springs are running two to three times than what I have seen them for the past 4-5 years that we have been going up there. I'd expect more of the same in September. It will be chilly at night. There is a weather station for Grayson Highlands so you should easily be able to find the historical data. You also might want to try the IMT especially for a loop. No views but quiet ridge line.

kofritz
08-04-2011, 16:25
you can hike back to fox creek on the older AT. i am not sure of the route for the Iron mtn trails, but saw several folks that were gonna loop hike on the IMT.

ScottP
08-05-2011, 01:21
Thanks for the tips. The more the merrier.