PDA

View Full Version : Best Section to Pull a 30?

thepitts
08-04-2011, 14:35
I'm just now rounding out the first quarter of my SOBO trip here in Manchester Center, VT:banana and I'm itching and burning to start throwing down bigger miles. Wondering if any former Thru's had any suggestions on were would be the most ideal sections of the trail for doing 30's. I've heard finishing NOBO's speak of them with equal amounts of awe and fearful respect and I've got to say I'm interested...
I'm loving the adventure beyond words so far and can't wait to see what lies ahead. I appreciate any words o' wisdom, thanks!:)

kyhipo
08-04-2011, 14:38
try conn and mass pretty easy walking.ky

thepitts
08-04-2011, 14:53
Mass just ahead. Sweet.

kyhipo
08-04-2011, 15:28
mass is pretty good hiking not to say their are not hard parts,easly 25m a day conn even better:banana.ky

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 15:58
Any section where a town with food and laundry is exactly 30 miles away! :D

johnnybgood
08-04-2011, 16:18
Virginia ! haven't you heard , it's all flat. ;)

Trailbender
08-04-2011, 16:31
I did 37 in PA, from the shelter 5 miles before Duncannon, to the shelter about 6 miles before Swatara Gap. I stopped hiking at 1AM, night hiking is enjoyable, you see a lot more wildlife, and it is an interesting experience. I night hiked because I couldn't sleep. I had no trouble sleeping after I finished, though.

thepitts
08-04-2011, 16:57
Oh don't worry. I've heard all about how flat Virginia is from NOBOs.;)

thepitts
08-04-2011, 16:58
Thanks for the heads up guys!

Blissful
08-04-2011, 18:05
I'm just now rounding out the first quarter of my SOBO trip here in Manchester Center, VT:banana and I'm itching and burning to start throwing down bigger miles. Wondering if any former Thru's had any suggestions on were would be the most ideal sections of the trail for doing 30's. I've heard finishing NOBO's speak of them with equal amounts of awe and fearful respect and I've got to say I'm interested...
I'm loving the adventure beyond words so far and can't wait to see what lies ahead. I appreciate any words o' wisdom, thanks!:)

The adventure isn't in how many miles but what you see along the way and the people you meet (unless you are going for a record that is). Forget the miles. I mean you can do some big miles now and then, don't get me wrong. But you have to look as this may be the only time you'll ever be able to do this and enjoy the journey at your age before college, job, marriage etc. The miles really mean nothing when all is said and done at Springer. The journey does.

stranger
08-04-2011, 18:29

You are heading into more gentle country, but hiking is still hiking, granted it's not southern Maine!

Personally speaking, I think the easiest section of trail is from the NY/NJ border to Waynesboro VA, with a few bumps in the way, a fairly big section.

Doing a 30 is no big deal if you've done 25's, it's just that for many hikers, something happens around 25, a threshold, those last 5-6 miles seem to take a ver long time! Once you do a 30, 40 becomes possible, because your thinking has shifted.

For me, I always knews a 30 mile day was possible, but that was irrelevant. When I eventually did one, it changed alot for me, because I actually did one, so I could do another one. It's all in your head.

If I had to pick a section to knock out some 30's, I would have to say Pennsylvania and NJ, the easiest states IMO, hands down

stranger
08-04-2011, 18:36
The adventure isn't in how many miles but what you see along the way and the people you meet (unless you are going for a record that is). Forget the miles. I mean you can do some big miles now and then, don't get me wrong. But you have to look as this may be the only time you'll ever be able to do this and enjoy the journey at your age before college, job, marriage etc. The miles really mean nothing when all is said and done at Springer. The journey does.

Why do we assume by hiking long days the hiker is missing something they would otherwise achieve by sitting around camp for 3 hours waiting for it to get dark? Some people go hiking to go 'hiking', that means walking. The miles do matter, because the miles are what we are out there to do - to walk those miles and experience what comes along with that.

Hiking more miles per day simply means having more trail experiences per day, I mean you can hike 12 mile days, and sit around the same camp for hours each day, I would personally rather go car camping.

For some of us, hiking big days is easier and more fun than hiking shorter days. Your experiences are yours, they mean nothing for another hiker, if someone wants to try some 30's that's awesome, my first 30 was one of the easiest days ever, and in the last hour I saw 3 bears, bears I would have never seen by stopping earlier in the day. Imagine that, hiking more miles means experiecing more! Not exactly complex now is it?

"We don't see the world as it is, but how we are"

Blissful
08-04-2011, 18:48
Yes and I have also heard many thrus after their hike off the trail and say Boy I wish I had slowed down to take it all in. Guess you weren't one of them, which is perfectly fine

What's wrong with getting to camp early at 5 instead of eight when everyone else is asleep and enjoy the gentle tug of a stream? Or watch clouds roll by and thank God you are out there? Or talk to others and enjoy the experience or maybe stop to help a sectioner who may have some questions. Oops, can't gotta make those miles. No time for humanity...

I do not understand how hiking more miles a day can get you more experiences. ?? If anything, the mindset of "got to do more miles" would make one skip a viewpoint a half mile off the trail, a waterfall, or slowing down to experience that patch of trillium with a butterfly on it instead of seeing a blur of color in passing to make that 30 mile goal.

As I said, I can see trying your feet out with a big mile day. But to get the mindset that I have to hurry because that's what thrus do (and a lot do feel its a competition for some reason), well there's a lot more than that.

I have seen and talked to a lot of hikers at the end of a trip. It wasn't the miles they were boasting about in reflection.

WingedMonkey
08-04-2011, 19:45

You've done just over 500 miles so far, but you don't tell us how those have been, short days? long days? short miles? big miles? There is no magic part of the trail that is an easy 30. Did those NOBO's you met do it after 1000 miles? Maybe the first 500?
By now you have an idea of what you expect out of the trail, and I'm sure it's even beat your butt a few times.
If you just wanna see if you can do it the profile maps and you physical condition and the weather will tell you when is a good section to try.
If you want to do big miles regularly you should know after the 500 you have done if it's gonna be your style.

stranger
08-05-2011, 03:39
Yes and I have also heard many thrus after their hike off the trail and say Boy I wish I had slowed down to take it all in. Guess you weren't one of them, which is perfectly fine

What's wrong with getting to camp early at 5 instead of eight when everyone else is asleep and enjoy the gentle tug of a stream? Or watch clouds roll by and thank God you are out there? Or talk to others and enjoy the experience or maybe stop to help a sectioner who may have some questions. Oops, can't gotta make those miles. No time for humanity...

I do not understand how hiking more miles a day can get you more experiences. ?? If anything, the mindset of "got to do more miles" would make one skip a viewpoint a half mile off the trail, a waterfall, or slowing down to experience that patch of trillium with a butterfly on it instead of seeing a blur of color in passing to make that 30 mile goal.

As I said, I can see trying your feet out with a big mile day. But to get the mindset that I have to hurry because that's what thrus do (and a lot do feel its a competition for some reason), well there's a lot more than that.

I have seen and talked to a lot of hikers at the end of a trip. It wasn't the miles they were boasting about in reflection.

I think where we see differently is that you assume I am 'in a hurry'. I average 2.75 miles per hour, plain and simple. I average 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 9 miles, and I hike 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 26 miles. Pace is pace, it doesn't change.

I experience more because I 'experience' more...I am up earlier, walking longer, and out later, than someone who starts hiking at 9 and quits at 3-5pm, therefore I experience more. I see 25 miles worth of views instead of 14, pretty simple isn't it?

I think what you mean to say is that 'for you' hiking a 30 mile day would 'be rushing', and I would agree that rushing isn't in my interest either. However, I'm not rushing.

Finally, I never said there was anything wrong with sitting around a creek at 5pm, so don't know where that came from. However, I do understand that different people have different views and experiences, and sharing those views and experiences is what this site is all about.

max patch
08-05-2011, 07:26
Pennsylvania

Red Beard
08-05-2011, 07:38
Winding Stair Gap to NOC. It's really nice this time of year.

tdoczi
08-05-2011, 07:49
havent hiked the whole trail but my longest/fastest day ever was harper's ferry to turner's gap. about 23 miles in 9 hours. with an early start and the temps not being in the 90s like they were when i was there i feel like i could have easily done 30 or more. ive never felt that way about any of the other "easy" states like PA or NJ or MA

Sly
08-05-2011, 08:30
The adventure isn't in how many miles but what you see along the way and the people you meet (unless you are going for a record that is). Forget the miles. I mean you can do some big miles now and then, don't get me wrong. But you have to look as this may be the only time you'll ever be able to do this and enjoy the journey at your age before college, job, marriage etc. The miles really mean nothing when all is said and done at Springer. The journey does. Your opinion should definitely start with an IMO. People hike for different reasons.

Kerosene
08-05-2011, 09:05
Clearly, people hike the AT for different reasons. Stopping to admire the flowers, wait for the right light to catch the "perfect" photograph, explore a side trail, linger at a hiker feed, discuss the trail with oncoming hikers -- all of these are good reasons to allow yourself a little leeway on a hike.
Of course, there are times when I want to get a good workout...cranking up my pace for an hour to get the heart going. Other times my section hiking schedule demands that I get to a certain point by a certain time, even if I'd prefer to change the schedule. I'm sure that most of us remember our longest day, as well as our shortest days, as our memories do a better job of remembering the exceptions.
After a month of solid hiking, your joints are probably ready to take on a lengthier day, but I do suggest that you either moderate your pace a bit or take a few, longer "boots-off" breaks in the afternoon/evening. My take is, if you can't get out the next day for a 10-15 mile day after a 30-miler, then you probably overdid it and are materially increasing your risk of injury.
From central Vermont, here are the sections that probably lend themselves to a 30-mile day. [Of course, Jennifer Pharr Davis just covered all of these sections in well under a day of slackpacking, so anything's possible!]

Between Manchester Center and US-2 in northern Massachusetts
Cheshire to US-20 in central Massachusetts
NY/CT border to Hudson River
NY/NJ border to High Point
Duncannon through Cumberland Gap

There are a lot more candidate sections south of Harpers Ferry, but frankly you could probably crank out a 30 almost anywhere if the weather is cooperative, you keep fueled and hydrated, and your feet are in good shape. Just listen to your body.

emerald
08-05-2011, 09:14
Your opinion should definitely start with an IMO.

Shouldn't someone assume it's her opinion unless she states otherwise? In most cases, IMO doesn't add anything.

emerald
08-05-2011, 09:26
I do not understand how hiking more miles a day can get you more experiences.

Starting early and continuing late into the day can increase opportunities for viewing wildlife and experiencing nature in a way missed by others who spend more time in camp.

I read Jennifer Pharr Davis saw the sun rise and set every day and she saw 36 bears. I'd venture a guess most people spending 3 times as much time on a though hike don't see as many bears. She's now enjoying other experiences she may value every bit as much.

Today's A.T. through hikes have gotten to be longer than they once were. Shorter hikes are often less expensive and cause less impact to natural and recreational resources.

max patch
08-05-2011, 09:56
Shouldn't someone assume it's her opinion unless she states otherwise? In most cases, IMO doesn't add anything.

Agree. And IMHO is even worse. Very few opinions on this board are offered humbly.

Trailbender
08-05-2011, 10:47
Agree. And IMHO is even worse. Very few opinions on this board are offered humbly.

Well, when your opinion is fact, it is hard to be humble when everyone else is wrong.

Kerosene
08-05-2011, 17:47
Well, when your opinion is fact, it is hard to be humble when everyone else is wrong.Classic!!!

Sly
08-05-2011, 18:15

Sure it does. Rather than telling someone theirs is the only way to do something as a matter of fact, it allows others to give their opinion, and the person that asked the question, dignity that his question was valid.

The guy ask where the best place to do a 30 was. I'm sure he didn't want to be told he was doing it wrong.

ScottP
08-05-2011, 19:18
anywhere on the AT is a good place to do a 30, ignore the haters. Especially the Mahousecs and the Whites, but you're already past those.

emerald
08-05-2011, 19:50
I recognized her reply to be an opinion we see stated with conviction often. It didn't invalidate Stephen's question or prohibit me, you or anyone else from answering his question or responding to her post.

We should expect a variety of opinions given the range of individual preferences. Many have provided answers to Stephen's question and more may, but only he can tell us if his question has been answered to his satisfaction.

It should be clear from the replies, opportunities are both gained and lost by ramping up mileage and when to attempt big days might take into consideration more than terrain.

johnnybgood
08-05-2011, 20:23
With a dawn to dark hike regime 30 miles can be accomplished if your focused on hiking.

Wapiti Shelter sobo to Bland seemed awefully flat . In SNP from Pinefield Gap to Rockfish Gap .

garlic08
08-06-2011, 00:56
The best advice I've seen on this thread (IMO!) is about being able to hike without pain the day after you hike your 30 miles. If you want to do 30s, ramp up to it slowly. You may find out that it's not feasible for your hiking style. It wasn't for me. I consider myself a fast, light hiker and I really enjoy long days. I hiked the AT in 106 days at age 51, and I never did make a 30-mile day. My average was over 20, and I did quite a few in the high twenties, but 30 remained elusive for the very good reason that I really enjoyed hiking 20 miles every day without pain. For me, consistency proved to be the best strategy for a very enjoyable, pain-free, and inexpensive hike.

Another good reason I didn't hike 30s on the AT was there was so much to see and do. That trail is so rich in history and local lore, it would be a shame to miss it. I did miss out on the long nights huddled in the corner of a shelter, and some of the popular towns, hostels, and taverns, but that didn't affect the quality of my hike.

As others have said, the mid-Atlantic states are the place for high miles. A challenge is good once in a while and I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal.

wcgornto
08-06-2011, 01:17
I never did any 30's. I did lots of 22 to 26 mile days. My energy and legs were fine to do longer days ... endless days. My feet spoke to me and said that 25+/- was enough. I listened.

Sly
08-06-2011, 06:57
I recognized her reply to be an opinion we see stated with conviction often. It didn't invalidate Stephen's question or prohibit me, you or anyone else from answering his question or responding to her post.

We should expect a variety of opinions given the range of individual preferences. Many have provided answers to Stephen's question and more may, but only he can tell us if his question has been answered to his satisfaction.

It should be clear from the replies, opportunities are both gained and lost by ramping up mileage and when to attempt big days might take into consideration more than terrain.

That wasn't the question. The kid has already hiked 500 miles and the toughest part of the trail. He wasn't looking for opinions in the quality or subtleties of his hike.

It reminds me of when someone asks what's the best free standing tent and the answer is a hammock.

ScottP
08-06-2011, 09:39
As you may have learned from this thread, once you start cranking out some mileage it's better to keep that to yourself. Unless something odd is going on, I don't feel like I had a worthwhile day until I get into the 30's. When people ask me where I started my day, I either dodge the question or lie. If you do 25+ there's a >50% chance that some fat out of shape guy that lives a pathetic life of quiet desperation and is going to die 10 years short of his natural lifespan will harangue you for not 'stopping to smell the roses.'

The view at 3 miles an hour is pretty much the same as the view at 2 miles an hour. Hanging out in shelters with toking college dropouts and watching VHS movies in hostels isn't why I hit the trail, and I'm sorry to say it, but the history of Appalachia is short, sad, and not very exciting.

Sly
08-06-2011, 10:38
I'm sorry to say it, but the history of Appalachia is short, sad, and not very exciting.

...and the more interesting stuff can be found in the Companion.

WingedMonkey
08-06-2011, 12:28
thepits, I doubt you will read this for a while since you are hiking, my biggest hope for you is that you finish the entire trail and not quit because you got bored. That is why you started this journey.

emerald
08-06-2011, 16:20
That wasn't the question. He wasn't looking for opinions in the quality or subtleties of his hike.

It reminds me of when someone asks what's the best free standing tent and the answer is a hammock.

Are you trying to keep this tread on-topic, heckle me or both? It wasn't started as a straight-forward question and some the posts you deem to be offensive prompted some of the most interesting discussion.

The opening post includes more than just the question in it's title and I take it be more than simply a request for 30-mile sections recommended by 2000 milers.

Have the last words if you wish. I'll have nothing more to say.

4shot
08-07-2011, 10:27

LOL. Happens too frequently on this site. Although I believe most posters here are well meaning, many can't seem to understand or buy into the concept that there are many ways to successfully do a thru-hike..

rambunny
08-07-2011, 17:54
Agree MaxPatch-I always got my 29.something in Pa.

Bronk
08-08-2011, 01:29
I think where we see differently is that you assume I am 'in a hurry'. I average 2.75 miles per hour, plain and simple. I average 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 9 miles, and I hike 2.75 miles per hour when I hike 26 miles. Pace is pace, it doesn't change.

I experience more because I 'experience' more...I am up earlier, walking longer, and out later, than someone who starts hiking at 9 and quits at 3-5pm, therefore I experience more. I see 25 miles worth of views instead of 14, pretty simple isn't it?

I think what you mean to say is that 'for you' hiking a 30 mile day would 'be rushing', and I would agree that rushing isn't in my interest either. However, I'm not rushing.

Finally, I never said there was anything wrong with sitting around a creek at 5pm, so don't know where that came from. However, I do understand that different people have different views and experiences, and sharing those views and experiences is what this site is all about.

I spent 4 months hiking 850 miles...which is the other side of the spectrum from what you are talking about. And I can tell you that if you are doing 30 miles a day you are most certainly missing out on some things...you don't know it because you keep moving when you might stop and look around and spend a few hours or even a couple of days in a neat place exploring it, or just taking it in.

If one were to hike 850 miles at 30 miles a day you'd be done in 28 days...I took 4 months to go the same distance...who spends more time on the trail? Pretty simple isn't it?

You're not seeing more because you hiked 25 miles instead of 14, you're using up the miles faster so that you'll end up spending less time on the trail, or at the very least less time in each place you travel through.

I'm not saying the way you do things is wrong, its just the way you do them, and that's totally up to you...but the logic you use to justify it doesn't add up.

Somebody just hiked the whole trail in about 6 weeks...that doesn't impress me, and I would never want to do it. Perhaps some people get something out of the athletic achievment of hiking...that's never been why I hike, but I can understand why other people might. But this idea that you are seeing more because you hike more miles per day just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Aram
08-08-2011, 12:27
It would seem that when hiking faster you would see more for the time.
When you hike less quickly you have more time for the seeing.

Neither is right/wrong. Both are hiking. HYOH.

May the Hike be with You!

CrumbSnatcher
08-11-2011, 20:32
It would seem that when hiking faster you would see more for the time.
When you hike less quickly you have more time for the seeing.

Neither is right/wrong. Both are hiking. HYOH.

May the Hike be with You!sounds good to me
WELCOME 2 WB :-)

stranger
08-12-2011, 06:26
I spent 4 months hiking 850 miles...which is the other side of the spectrum from what you are talking about. And I can tell you that if you are doing 30 miles a day you are most certainly missing out on some things...you don't know it because you keep moving when you might stop and look around and spend a few hours or even a couple of days in a neat place exploring it, or just taking it in.

If one were to hike 850 miles at 30 miles a day you'd be done in 28 days...I took 4 months to go the same distance...who spends more time on the trail? Pretty simple isn't it?

You're not seeing more because you hiked 25 miles instead of 14, you're using up the miles faster so that you'll end up spending less time on the trail, or at the very least less time in each place you travel through.

I'm not saying the way you do things is wrong, its just the way you do them, and that's totally up to you...but the logic you use to justify it doesn't add up.

Somebody just hiked the whole trail in about 6 weeks...that doesn't impress me, and I would never want to do it. Perhaps some people get something out of the athletic achievment of hiking...that's never been why I hike, but I can understand why other people might. But this idea that you are seeing more because you hike more miles per day just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I could never average 30 a day, just so we're clear on that. I do see your point mate, although I do disagree.

I've done plenty of hikes in the past where I've hiked 12-16 miles per day, I've been there and done that, in 1995 it took me nearly two months to hike 600 miles. Again, I don't see the point in sitting around camp waiting for it to get dark, I would rather keep walking.

I guess the best way I can put it is that I go hiking to 'go hiking'. For me, hiking 850 miles over 4 months would not be very enjoyable, I would feel like I wasn't hiking very much on a trip like that. I have way too much experience and self-awareness to consider something like that, for me that will not work.

For you it does - to each their own.

PS - ever notice that those who do longer days are silent on those doing shorter days, it only seems to be the people doing shorter days who have to comment about those who are doing longer days.

Makes you wonder what that's all about?

Mags
08-12-2011, 11:25
but the history of Appalachia is short, sad, and not very exciting.

Highly arguable. THe music culture, the Civil-War era and Revolutionary War history often very close to or even on the trail, etc. is something this amateur historian finds fascinating.

(Of course some of it is sad...the history is short compared to my fiance's hometown on the German/Polish border in what was Prussia, but long compared to what passes as old out here in the West...but not exciting?? :) )

And I am not one of those "smell the roses" people; I did the BMT in two weeks. :)

lemon b
08-12-2011, 18:33
When the calories allow just go for it.

thepitts
09-10-2011, 21:58
Dang, this thread got big since i posted last!:)

I appreciate everybody's opinions and advice and I continue to enjoy the journey!