PDA

View Full Version : Water filter needed?

Math
08-04-2011, 14:59
Hi,
I've gathered almost all the gear for my planned 7 days hike on the last 60 miles of the AT (to Katahdin), but I wondered if I really need a water filter. Since I've never needed it here in Dolomites and I don't see changes in the future, do you suggest to go with a chemical solution instead of the mechanical one considering the AT section I'll be hiking?

Many thanks.

sixhusbands
08-04-2011, 15:37
I was never an advocate of filtering water until I got sick last year from drinking water from a mountain stream in remote Kauaii. It tore me up for almost a week and I would not wish that on anyone. Ipurchased a Steripen and I have used it several times since and it does a great job. A bit pricey but they are amazing.

Anymore , it is better to be safe than sorry!

flyingturtle
08-04-2011, 15:50
I used Aqua Mira drops through the entire 100 mile wilderness without any types of problems. Although, I did wish I had a pump for when I needed to get water from the lakes....other than that, it was just fine. On the springs that I could see the water coming right out of the ground, I didn't even bother with the drops. People pay $2 a bottle for that stuff!

I agree with sixhusbands, it's always better to be safe than sorry. But you should be fine with drops or tablets if you so choose to use them.

House of Payne
08-04-2011, 19:13
I was never an advocate of filtering water until I got sick last year from drinking water from a mountain stream in remote Kauaii. It tore me up for almost a week and I would not wish that on anyone. Ipurchased a Steripen and I have used it several times since and it does a great job. A bit pricey but they are amazing.

Anymore , it is better to be safe than sorry!

+1 on the steri-pen. Lightweight and very effective. Better to be safe than keeling over for a week

Trailbender
08-04-2011, 20:01
+1 on the steri-pen. Lightweight and very effective. Better to be safe than keeling over for a week

Everyone I met on my thru last year that had those were having problems. They are finicky, expensive, burn through batteries, and not very effective on cold or cloudy water, also needing a wide mouth bottle. I'll stick with my bleach in a 1 oz dropper.

garlic08
08-05-2011, 00:52
That's pretty remote country with good clean water sources, as I remember. I did not carry a filter on the AT. I used chemicals (Aquamira) a few times when good spring water wasn't available. Otherwise, like Flying Turtle, I drank from the source, thinking of all the money I was saving by not buying it bottled.

It's funny, or maybe sad, that in the cities we buy bottled spring water because we're afraid of the chemicals in city water. But when faced with the actual spring, we add chemicals to it.