PDA

View Full Version : Online Section Hiker Tracker

nhinze
08-04-2011, 16:14
All,

I have released the first test version of an online tool to help us all track our progress while section hiking the AT, CDT and/or PCT. It's in its early stages and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Bear with me as I get all the bugs out. This idea came from a visitor my website (Thanks Carl R.).

The tool maps the progress and gives detailed statistics of the sections hiked. The data all comes from the ATC GPS track.

Check it out here: http://www.trailheadfinder.com/section_hiker/

Let me know what you like, don't like and if you find bugs.

Thanks,

Nick,

MkBibble
08-04-2011, 18:44
Are the daily and weekly averages suppossed to reflect time on the trail, or ALL time (including the 51 non-hiking weeks in my year)? I am certainly no speed demon, but .2 miles per day is a little depressing.

Neat app though! I only wish I had more sections to put on there. Thanks for setting it up.

nhinze
08-04-2011, 18:54
The average takes the total mileage and divides it by the number of days between the earliest start date and the latest end date of posted sections. So it takes days off the trail into account. I could certainly add another stat that displays the average daily mileage when on the trail.

I have plenty of work to do to make it better. Hoping to create a very similar one for through hikers. Then hopefully I can make a mobile app so that sections can be posted when in range of cell signal.

nhinze
08-04-2011, 18:56
Although you can set your log to be public, I have not yet implemented the feature to link to it. Once I add this feature, a link can be shared with friends tso that they can track your progress. Coming soon.