PDA

View Full Version : Fall backpacking trip ideas below Harpers Ferry

trekrocketboy
08-04-2011, 18:21
Looking for ideas for a point-to-point or loop for a backpack trip in the fall. Looking to do 4-6 days (8-10 miles/day). Have done Damascus to Partnership Shelter, Max Patch to Hot springs, and a stretch in SNP. Many different ideas running around in my head, but I would like to have good output/fun ratio. Never done any trips with a resupply, so thought about doing a trip with that in the middle. Longest days in a row so far-4. Looking for some new trail and new experiences with an eye towards one day hiking the whole trail.

Slo-go'en
08-05-2011, 11:05
Hot Springs to Erwin is a nice streach, about 65 miles, and is my favorate section of NC/Tenn. Actually, I think that is my favorate section south of Vermont! Erwin to Hampton is pretty nice too, but Roan Mt in the middle makes it a more difficult section to do and is a bit long for you at 75 miles.

Finding a section which is only 60 miles long at most (6 days X 10 mpd) with a resupply in the middle is going to be tough. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Damaged
08-05-2011, 13:44
You may want to give some thought to the Massanutten Trail loop in GWNF in Virginia. It's 71 miles with lots of ups and downs but some of the views are pretty awesome. Doing the resupply in the middle may be a little challenging though. Here is a link with gives very good directions for the trail http://www.patc.us/hiking/destinations/massanuttenring.html .

Happy Hiking