PDA

View Full Version : Vasque Mantra hiking shoes, opinions?

Feral Nature
08-04-2011, 19:19
The good, the bad and the ugly, let me have it!

I went to Whole Earth Provision Company in Houston and had wonderful assitance and I must have tried on a dozen pair of shoes, walking up the ramp each time. I was wearing my smartwool socks and started by trying on the Keens. Apparently, I have a wide foot with a narrow heel because they and most of the shoes, had terrible heel slippage.

Anyway, I finally found the Vasque Mantras to be the closest fit and got some expesive inserts because I have such flat feet.

I felt a little overwhelmed by all of it, but I live so far away from any city that it was my only chance to shop. And I really did have a nice employee assisting me. His name is Will, if you go in there. Very knowledgeable.

Del Q
08-04-2011, 19:59
I also have a wide foot, not a ton of options, LOVE my new Vasque low top waterproof shoes. Best ever. Merrell's were great but the AT tore them up.

Johnny Thunder
08-04-2011, 21:38
when i hiked in 2008 the mantra was a semi-popular shoe among hikers by the mid-atlantic region. i started my first of what would be (i think) 4 pairs in luray, va. by harpers ferry the sole on one had peeled back from the toe cut to past the second knuckle on my big toe. it flapped on the ground as i walked. vasque was less than helpful in repairing/replacing the problem shoe....though the original outfitter offered to have me send it back. i did take a day off at harpers to shoe glue the thing back on which made it about until duncannon. the replacement pair(s) fell apart in similar fashion and i was forced to carry the glue with me to use on each successive one. they don't have my highest recommendation...but honestly, i've run into maybe one or two pairs of shoes that would.

Feral Nature
08-04-2011, 23:10
Thanks for the comments, keep them coming. :)

Slo-go'en
08-05-2011, 10:42
I once bought a pair of Vasque's (don't remember the model) in Wayensboro and the PA rocks shreaded them. By the time I got to the Delaware Water Gap, they were falling apart. I will not buy Vasques again.

I currently have a pair of boots made by Scarpa, from eastern Europe, and they are holding up very nicely after 500 miles of the southern AT and a fair amount of hiking on NH rocks.

Feral Nature
08-06-2011, 11:09
Thanks yall. I will report back on how well my mantras hold up.

Deacon
08-07-2011, 09:16
The good, the bad and the ugly, let me have it!

I went to Whole Earth Provision Company in Houston and had wonderful assitance and I must have tried on a dozen pair of shoes, walking up the ramp each time. I was wearing my smartwool socks and started by trying on the Keens. Apparently, I have a wide foot with a narrow heel because they and most of the shoes, had terrible heel slippage.

Anyway, I finally found the Vasque Mantras to be the closest fit and got some expesive inserts because I have such flat feet.

I felt a little overwhelmed by all of it, but I live so far away from any city that it was my only chance to shop. And I really did have a nice employee assisting me. His name is Will, if you go in there. Very knowledgeable.

I too have a very wide foot, and have tried many of the popular brands of hiking shoes, only to find they are too narrow for me. Try New Balance 1123's. They are expensive at $145, but is the only shoe company I can find that has shoe's in 6E widths. They have plenty of width for me.

Feral Nature
08-08-2011, 11:43
Well, I already bought the shoes, and I guess I was looking for a little reassurance. I think I should have got high tops though, but I can always get those later.

Highway Man
08-14-2011, 18:50
I hiked in that shoes in 2009 from Springer Mt. to DWG. I feel the shoes is not very good for backpacking under all weather conditions. First of all, the inward side of the shoes between the outsoles and the leather were gaping open somewhere near the end of Virginia section. It was mostly because of the use in the rains that made the leather deteriorated much quicker. Secondly, the outsole bottom lacks the rigidity for a person to carry a pack load comfortably on the trail; and I felt much pain with it in PA. But I guess, I still had some hundreds of miles on the outsoles as it's made of Vibram rubber.